PDA

View Full Version : Alphabet float mats

Jenny
03-06-2014, 10:47 AM
I purchased these
http://answers.canadiantire .ca/answers/9045/product/0681362P/no-pop-out-alphabet-play-floor-mat-questions-answers/questions.htm

They are foam floor mats with the alphabet but they letters actually pop out like a puzzle.

I didn't really read the packaging properly and thought that the letters were just printed on them, I didn't realize that they actually came apart.

They were kind of expensive, $40.00. Enough that unless they work in the space I'd like to return them.

Do you think that they will become more work, with the kids taking them apart and me having to continually help them put it together. Or could I teach them to leave them alone, and if they do take the apart they are in charge of putting them together? Space is also an issue, they take up a lot of space so would be a pain with some kids wanting to play in the same space as the mat, and I imagine it getting quite messy. I was thinking I could bring it out sometimes to play with as a big group puzzle, or I could somehow attach it to the wall so it can be played with.
My group is 2-5 years if that helps.

Teagansmom
03-06-2014, 11:06 AM
What I did was taped the back with duck tape, this prevents the kids from taking them apart.

5 Little Monkeys
03-06-2014, 11:07 AM
I have those on my walls for protection against dings, marks and handprints lol. I bought two sets and have them 2 high all around the playroom with just a few spaces (I don't bother putting them behind the big shelves and kitchen set because they block the wall anyways). I think I got them on sale for $20 though. They will sometimes take the letters out but I just tell them that they are for the wall and we don't touch them. I have lost a few pieces in the beginning while I was still teaching them that we don't touch them haha. They are super easy to wash down. I have them taped to the wall with green painters tape and I have the letters taped on too now.

I bought a few packs of the 4 large mats. I have 12 of those (4x3) in one area of the floor for softer play and than the rest of the area is just the carpet. They are also super easy to wash with either a wet cloth or a wet swiffer.

mickyc
03-06-2014, 11:20 AM
You can use a hot glue gun to glue them together (I imagine the duct tape would work just as good as well). I have foam mats under my slide and I glued them together. I didn't get the kind with the letters just because I figured the kids would pick at them and try and take it out.

Crayola kiddies
03-06-2014, 11:21 AM
I find Canadian tire not the greatest for returning things ... If there is nothing wrong with it then they don't let you bring it back !!

Lee-Bee
03-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Aren't they a germ magnet? I know lots of daycare like to use them but they seem like they would trap all the bodily fluids in the cracks between the pieces and be hard to clean.

I'd rather my kids fall on a hard floor, that I can properly clean. They learn fast how to fall properly.

Spixie33
03-06-2014, 11:43 AM
I had ABC mats in my daycare room for three years. Every year I would buy a new set because the kids do take them apart - munch on certain letters and after a while your M and your N look horrible and keep sticking up.

This January I finally got fed up and just bought the 24 inch by 24 inch coloured floor mats from Walmart.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/reversible-connect-a-mat-24-x-24/6000016938626

They have worked better because they are harder to pry up due to their size.

I think younger kids (i.e 12 months-15 months) are the worst offenders in trying to pry them apart and chew on the foam. My first 2 groups of daycare were not as bad as the current but I have always found I had to put a letter or two back every couple of hours regardless.

It's too bad because the ABC floor mats were fun to use as a letter teaching tool for 3 years and up. I would ask them to hop from one letter to the other or hop onto H and now hop onto B. It was fun for the kids....but my patience ran thin eventually

Teagansmom
03-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Aren't they a germ magnet? I know lots of daycare like to use them but they seem like they would trap all the bodily fluids in the cracks between the pieces and be hard to clean.

I'd rather my kids fall on a hard floor, that I can properly clean. They learn fast how to fall properly.

Yes I guess you can say that the mats can capture germs but so can every other toy or surface kids play on/ with. It's impossible to have a sterile environment, and IMO kids need to be exposed to germs to help build their immune systems.

Polkaroo
03-06-2014, 01:02 PM
I have those and the kids rarely take them apart and when they do I ask them to out them back when they're done. Never been an issue for me...yet :) I like them personally.

I have the large 24x24 in my laundry room because it's unfinished and I hate walking on concrete floors. They're also great to have.

As for cleaning, I vacuum them and once in a while will wipe them off to disinfect them but only when need be.

Lee-Bee
03-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Yes I guess you can say that the mats can capture germs but so can every other toy or surface kids play on/ with. It's impossible to have a sterile environment, and IMO kids need to be exposed to germs to help build their immune systems.

I have no delusions about being germ free here :-) Kids are exposed to germs and builder a better immune system for sure but I just think that leaving vomit, spit up, diaper accidents in the open is a bit much. I can't imagine taking them apart to clean each shape edge!

I don't keep my daycare sterile (or even close to it) but I do like to be able to do a good quick clean of the wood floors or a steam clean a carpet after any of the above childhood accidents. Maybe I just have a really young group so the above is more likely to happen.

5 Little Monkeys
03-06-2014, 01:23 PM
I get what you're saying Lee-Bee. I have usually always had a young crew and only once have I had vomit on them and once a pee accident. Other than that, it's my carpet that takes the beating!! lol

My fiance is a janitor at an elementary school and he says many of the younger classrooms have these mats too and they just mop them up every day. He has mentioned that mine have been kept much cleaner though lol....but I also obviously don't have the traffic a classroom does. This summer I will likely replace a few of them. It's still cheaper than getting my carpet cleaned though.

Jenny
03-06-2014, 02:48 PM
I have used these matts in my classroom when I was teaching and yes they get dirty but they are easy to mop and vacuum over and much better then my floors getting destroyed,and nice to sit on when playing, for me as well!
I have them in my laundry room as well which is cement and they are awesome, much better then cold concrete!
I'm my playroom I have ones that look like wood in my dramatic play section, and multi-coloured ones in the free play, blocks, little people area.
I like the suggestions for gluing and attaching them but I don't want to risk it not working especially as they were a bit more expensive. I called Canadian Tire and they said they are fine to return, even if I've taken them from the package. I was honest and said they are not what I thought they were, plus they bubble up and don't lay flat and they said I could return them.
I just saw the same ones at superstore for $15 so I may get those and pull them out for special indoor play.

momofnerds
03-06-2014, 04:31 PM
for me, the little knicks and the dirtyness (yellow gets dirty) would drive me insane. Also the tripping factor, those mats would never ever be here.

MonkeyPrincess
03-07-2014, 11:19 AM
I have mixed opinions about them. I have them in half my basement. The kids love them- they play alphabet hopscotch on them, they are great for teaching the letters and numbers and colours too. Although i have laminate flooring with an extra underpad, i still find it colder in the basement and i like that they are walking around on the foam pads and not on the laminate. It also protects the laminate floor :)

On the flipside, They are a pain to clean in my opinion. I hate having to take them all apart to clean. My younger ones always take the letters out, and the older ones trip on them. I hate when liquids and crumbs get stuck in the cracks- grrr. i am afraid of gluing them down because i wouldn't want the laminate finish to come off.

5 Little Monkeys
03-07-2014, 11:35 AM
I have the larger, solid ones on my floor. They really aren't hard to clean and honestly, don't get that dirty. I don't allow food or drink in the playroom though so that probably helps. If we do have a picnic snack in the playroom we eat on a blanket.

The kids don't trip on them (but they are the solid ones) and to vacuum under them it's really easy as it lifts up all in piece pretty much. I haven't done this but you could use duct tape on the bottom to tape the pieces together. This would be okay until you need to take them apart though. I vacuum them and wash them down with wet wipes or the swiffer wet jet or just a mop. They do have a little pattern to them so if you were really anal about cleaning you could use a toothbrush too but really, mine aren't that dirty and these ones are about 2.5 years old.

MonkeyPrincess
03-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Oh yes, I also have the larger ones and they are easier to clean for sure. I like them better but the alphabet ones are more fun for the kids :)

5 Little Monkeys
03-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Yes, the alphabet ones would be funner. Even though my alphabet ones are on the wall we still use them to sing the alphabet song and each child knows where the letter is that their name begins with. (however, it was pretty easy when all 4 had the same letter lol) I also ask the older ones where such and such letter is and they run to find it. I wipe them down periodically but because they are on the wall, they don't get dirty.

I would love to have a big child's themed circle rug but I find them expensive. Target sells little floor carpets for the different holidays and I've been buying them. The kids love sitting on them when I have them on the floor in front of the kitchen sinks so I think I may just pick up a few and use those for circle times!