PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and your yard

Samantha33
03-07-2014, 01:24 PM
O.K. Ladies I'm wondering how many of you have 2 or 3 dogs and how do you handle potty for them in the summer. We have three dogs. :ohmy::yes: One of them being a service dog in training so two of them are large dogs. My problem is last year I didn't like the idea of them peeing on the grass where the kids were going to be playing in 30 min. I always tried to make their potty time and outside time with the kids different but it was hard. I'd like to put up a dog run so they can do their business in there but not sure about the flooring. I want something inexpensive and that I can pick-up in 5-7 years when I'm done with daycare. Does anyone else have this problem or solved it?

mickyc
03-07-2014, 01:44 PM
our dogs are outside dogs (we are on an acreage). they are kept in the shed and their very large pen during the week. We had a cat who was bad for pooping in the grass where the kids played. She is no longer with us and I am looking forward to not worrying about kids with poop on their shoes. Most hardware stores sell the chain link dog runs.

godsgirl
03-07-2014, 01:48 PM
I don't have 2-3 dogs but I do have one and have had the same concerns in not wanting them to play in the same area as the dog goes to the bathroom. What has worked for me is I just have him on a leash attached to the porch so that he can only go in the specific area. The kids that I watch kind of know the routine whenever we go in the yard and that is that they wait for me to do a quick search and poop pick up before they can play. Because it's winter I still do the same thing but then I throw tons of fresh snow on top so they aren't tromping through it as well. It's funny because if they do find something that I have missed they all stop and start yelling and pointing 'Miss D! There's Poop!!!!' that and yesterday as I was trying to pick up before the kids arrived my son was with me and started yelling 'I got it! I got it!' and ran up to me with his shovel with a scoop of poop in it. LOL!!

As for a run (I thought of that too but because of the layout of my house it won't work). I would suggest to not have a flooring because chances are they won't go to the bathroom on it. Maybe just get a chain link fence of some sort - I've seen lots of people selling them on Kijiji

BTW 3 dogs and a day home!? How do you do it? You're my hero! Lol!

Hope that helped :)

Crayola kiddies
03-07-2014, 01:51 PM
my friend has a spot right outside her garage door that she dug up the grass (about 2 ft x 2 ft) and put down cedar chips ......she trained her dog to go pee on the cedar chips. cedar is an odour absorber and she would just replace the chips 2 or 3 times a year. so i guess you would start by taking the dog out on a leash and go straight to the chips and say "go pee" and then eventually it would just be where they go ....

Teagansmom
03-07-2014, 01:54 PM
I have 2 dogs, what I did was put up a fence and gate at my side yard for the daycare and left my backyard for the dogs.

suzydominguez
03-07-2014, 02:06 PM
I have 2 small dogs and I do the same thing as godsgirl. Summer is easy pick up and as well the kids are aware of the procedure before going outside.They too love to shout out "Suzy I see poo poo" I do have a hard time in the winter though, especially if they did there business and it snowed afterwards, so I don't really know where they've went. :blink:

Samantha33
03-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Thank you ladies. I not sure I'm leaning on the side of forgetting about a kennel run in the backyard. It's very expensive for the sake of 5-7 years. My dh is home and cares for the dogs during the day. He picks up after them as soon as they do their business. He plays with them during the day. At night I do obedience and Rally O. We absolutely love dogs. After children my next love is dogs. We do have a side yard we might be able to utilize for the dogs bathroom duties only.