PDA

View Full Version : May have bitten off more then I can chew!! Any sugestions

tinytotshomedaycare
03-11-2014, 08:22 AM
I just opened my daycare last week and I finishing up the transition period with the kids this week. I have a 2year old, 1 year old and 6 month old and also my 15month old son. I wasn't worried at first but now spending a few days with them the 1 year old is so far behind it is like having another infant. I'm worried about what full days will be like with all of them together.
Any suggestions on how to handle this?
Thanks

mimi
03-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Get into a good routine, get outside for walks if you can, let them free play and don't worry about crafts. Just make sure you provide a stimulating environment. Play music, sing songs and get on the floor and play with them.
When it is nap time make sure you take some time for yourself just to reboot and have some lunch. Don't try to be perfect...none of us are:)

Lee-Bee
03-11-2014, 09:19 AM
It will be tough for a bit but will get better as you fall into a routine.

I have 4 right now ages 12,12,12,15 months. I opened in January and staggered their start dates, with the last starting 3 weeks ago (we have another one starting in april at 12months). Now our days run smoothly and calmly with minimal tears. They keep each other busy and they already know the routine.

Yours are spread out more age wise so it will be tougher. In the beginning I had them napping on demand but I was going bonkers with no break at all. I now have them overlapping naps, some take two 2hr naps some take two 45min naps. I do 2 naps for all as they are not quite ready for one nap (way to whiny). This gives me at least two 45ish minute breaks where I collapse on the couch.

I am starting to be more efficient. I will soon be doing the cleaning and meal prep during their nap times. I clean up at the end of the day before the last one leaves so I have less to do at the end of the day.

Most importantly I sit on the floor while they play and I chill. They come to me when they need hugs. I don't carry them, if they need affection they sit on my lap.

If will be tough and you'll second guess yourself but it will all fall into place and things will get easier.

MonkeyPrincess
03-12-2014, 06:24 AM
Wow, 3 12 month olds and a 15 month old? That's quite busy eh? I have never had that many young ones at one time- I know i couldn't do that, so for those of you who have a few really young ones, good on ya! :) I remember how hard it was for me when i had 3 under 2. It was nuts for me. I have to take my son to the bus 2x a day, i couldn't handle that many small kids. Mine now are all spread apart, I have a 21 month old, 2 year old, 2.5 yr old (who are all part time and spread out over the week), my own 3 yr old, 3.5 yr old and my own 6.5yr old. When my 2 3 yr olds start school in september, my 2.5 yr old will be 3 and will become full time with her baby sister who will be 11 mos and start in September.

I know i run my daycare differently from some of you ladies. I do the school run because i want to be able to take my kids to the school bus. Because of that also accept children before and after school. I know some of you only take the kids until they go to school and therefore don't take school aged kids.

Polkaroo
03-12-2014, 06:45 AM
I just opened in February and I was a bit nervous but all is good. I agree with mimi, try not to put too much stress on yourself, get into a good routine and the kids will get into the groove. I'm not even 2 months in and I'm still doing a lot of free play, playing with them on the floor. I still have another little one starting in April so it will be another adjustment.

My son who will be two next week is the most challenging one of all, he's having a hard time adjusting to having the dcb in his space and sharing his toys. So I'm still trying to work on that with him. As days go by you will feel better and like Lee-Bee said, be confident and try not to second guess yourself. You'll be just fine. And when you have bad days, come here and vent, read about others experiences, all of us have those days and I know it always helps me.

Have a wonderful day today!

Judy Trickett
03-12-2014, 07:03 AM
It will get better. get into a good routine. Take care of YOU, also, or you will not be able to care for the kids. Keep it simple! Kids are great with free-play. It allows them to follow their own lead, which keeps them happy, and is less work for you while you get your daycare legs under you!

Good luck!

tinytotshomedaycare
03-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Thank you its nice to hear that its not just my son that is the hardest in the bunch. I love him to death and I know this is hard for him but he is driving me bonkers some days. I have a long way to go with him.
Thanks again :)

tinytotshomedaycare
03-12-2014, 12:45 PM
First day having to put down all the kids for nap. It went so well I don't know how but they all just went no problems or tears. wow super surprised.

torontokids
03-12-2014, 12:53 PM
That's great. Pretty soon you will become a well oiled machine and the kids will know their routine so well it really takes a way a lot of the work

torontokids
03-12-2014, 12:56 PM
There are a ton of posts on here about different tricks we learn as we go

http://www.daycarebear.ca/forum/showthread.php/4837-Tricks-of-the-trade!?highlight=tri cks

Polkaroo
03-13-2014, 06:13 AM
Thank you its nice to hear that its not just my son that is the hardest in the bunch. I love him to death and I know this is hard for him but he is driving me bonkers some days. I have a long way to go with him.
Thanks again :)

Nope you are not alone, I also thought I was until your reply. He also drives me bonkers some days. Reality is, kids listen much better to their dcp than their own parents. They feel like they can express themselves and their frustrations at home with who they feel most comfortable with, their parents. That's when they let go.

So my dck listen amazingly everyday but it's a different story when they get home! my son is the one that cries, doesn't share, says 'no' every 2 minutes, tries to hit, all things he's never done before I opened the daycare. He was such an easy going kid. But i know it's a lot for him. He’s shown some improvements in the last month but I too have a long way to go him...sigh. Maybe we.can share pointers with each other! Enjoy the rest of your week.... It's almost Friday !