PDA

View Full Version : Open cups

Lee-Bee
03-11-2014, 10:49 AM
At about what age do you all introduce cups with no lids?

I have a group of 12-15month olds right now that all use a spill proof straw cup for water throughout the day. A few are now okay to start some cows milk here at daycare. I don't feel like using the straw cups as I'll have to wash them more. I don't want to buy more of the cups as they were $8 each and won't be used long enough to justify buying a whole second batch.

I am contemplating using open cups for milk at lunch. I'd only give about an ounce of milk and I would do hand over hand until they manage on their own. Is this worthwhile at 12months? Or am I just making a lot more work/mess for myself?

Artsand crafts
03-11-2014, 11:07 AM
I give them cups with no lids at 18mo that is around when most seem ready to drink from them with no assistance. 12months I think it is too early.

bright sparks
03-11-2014, 11:14 AM
I give them cups with no lids at 18mo that is around when most seem ready to drink from them with no assistance. 12months I think it is too early.

What she said:)

dshtebazile
03-11-2014, 11:17 AM
I also begin giving lidless cups around 18mths of age, sometimes earlier/later based on the ability of the children.

One thing I like to do before going to lidless cups is to give sippy cups without the valves (or whatever piece that is used to make the cup "spillproof".) This makes the water/milk just pour out instead of the kids sucking on the spout, and gets them used to drinking more carefully. It also makes for easier clean up ;)

mickyc
03-11-2014, 11:18 AM
I don't do cups with no lids for the most part, definitely not with any kids under 2. I have the cups with the straws that I got from the dollar store. In summer when we go outside for afternoon snack I give all kids their water in an open cup and that is how we practice because then it isn't a big deal if they spill. In the house it is closed cups for all kids with their water. Their cups sit on the table all day. When I give the kids their milk those over 2 get it in an open cup, those under 2 get it in their sippy cup.

Crayola kiddies
03-11-2014, 11:58 AM
all my kids have cups with lids and parents supply cups. even if you were to buy those ones called 'take and toss" they come in a package of four at walmart and are fairly reasonable.

torontokids
03-11-2014, 12:00 PM
I thought I was alone on this so thanks Crayola. All my kids have cups with lids. Why add stress with spills etc? My 4 yo still drinks milk out of a sippy cup. All the kids have water bottle they provide and they are more the ones with straws.

Wonderwiper
03-11-2014, 12:04 PM
I am like mickyc...I only use tall cups with hard plastic sippy lid. If they are older than 12 months I just take the valve out. Love these cups, I have tons, they go in the dishwasher and are $1.88 each at Walmart.

5 Little Monkeys
03-11-2014, 12:07 PM
I ask that all parents bring sippy cups that can stay here. They usually bring two, one for water and one for milk. I buy the dollar store kinds for outside in the summer, usually just water bottle types. I find that some kids have preferences to the type of cups so having the parents bring them is easier. I have a few that I keep on hand but rarely have to use them. If a child has a really nice cup, I will use one of my older ones when I go the park or something like that so I don't loose it! haha.

I have just started to very occasionally give my kids cups with no lids and it really has no rhyme or reason other than it's usually afternoon snack after all the dishes are done and I don't want to wash the sippy cups again lol. Or if we are upstairs, they get get disposable cups. Mine are 18 months, 2 two year olds and a 2.5 year old. When I had older kids in the past (4, 6, 7 years) they all had cups with no lids though.

playfelt
03-11-2014, 12:18 PM
All of my kids use cups with lids the entire time they are with me. I prefer to not ever use the no spill insert though so they get the liquid without a lot of effort. Going lidless is something they can do at home. One less chance for a spill here and in the grand scheme of things it is not my job to teach kids everything. One they go to school many elementary kids get a no spill cup in their lunchbox so not a big deal. Even adults use sippy bottles or lidded coffee cups on their desks at work.

AmandaKDT
03-11-2014, 12:54 PM
I use the Take and Toss type cups with lids, they are not expensive and don't have straws. Once they are around 4 years old I give them a small amount of water in a open cup and practice where to keep the cup on the table so it doesn't get knocked over. But they don't get to walk around with the open cups, it is only for when we are sitting and eating. I wouldn't even consider open cups for your age group, it will just result in a bunch of wet kids and stress for you.

Lee-Bee
03-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Thanks all. I didn't even think of the take and toss sippy cups. I will pick some up. I can easily wash those each night in the dishwasher. The straw sippy cups are a pain to take all the pieces apart to wash so I was really hoping to avoid that with milk cups!

Crayola kiddies
03-11-2014, 02:50 PM
I also only serve water unless the parent supply's milk and I never let them walk around with cups ever!!!! They get their cups at mealtimes and if they want a drink in between those times they come and sit on the area rug in the kitchen and they get the cup.

Lee-Bee
03-11-2014, 03:12 PM
I also only give their cups at the table. They are colour coded but the kids are too young and if they are out they just lick all the cups. I save the cups until the very end of the meal, after I wash hands and faces they get their cup while I scrub down the floor and table. Being so young they are quite messy so clean up takes a few minutes. Also, by leaving the cup until last their hands and face are clean and I don't have to wash the cups after each use.

AcornsFalling
03-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Phew I thought I was the only one who doesn't use open cups. The parents can teach them that at home.

momofnerds
03-13-2014, 06:50 AM
I use cups with lids here, I don't need to keep cleaning spills all day. And my older kids get lids with straws here, tupperware has these cups with a resealable hole for the straw. They are great.

Montessori-Mom
08-11-2014, 12:13 AM
My son was in a montessori daycare so there were no sippy cups. he went straight to a cup as soon as he could sit up. at home we bought heavy bottomed shot glass as they were the perfect size for little hands and if he spills it is not a big deal

Montessori-Mom
08-11-2014, 12:15 AM
i am sorry but how does giving a 4 year old child a baby cup help foster independence. Young toddlers are very capable of using a regular cup. yes it is messy at first so only put a sip at a time. As educators we should not be treating young children like infants. they are more capable than you think

kimg
08-11-2014, 07:54 AM
It depends on the child for me. I have a very clumsy "young" 2.5 yr old that I'm not even considering switching to an open cup. He gets a take and toss cup with lid. But I had my son on an open cup by then.

I agree with the PP who said that the parents can take the lead teaching that particular skill. I don't have time at lunch to clean up spills from 5 kids.

mickyc
08-11-2014, 07:59 AM
I have cups with plastic straws (from the dollar store) for kids over 2. Under 2 gets a take and toss cup. I give my daughter an open cup when daycare is over. We practice with open cups outside in summer but someone always spills one. Not going to happen in the house no matter what age! I have enough things to clean up.

cfred
08-11-2014, 01:50 PM
My kids all get sippy cups until they leave daycare at 4 yrs of age. There are lots of ways to foster independence that don't include dropping milk all over the floor. They don't mind, I don't mind and their parents don't mind. I'm sure everyone will be just fine in the end :)

superfun
08-11-2014, 02:23 PM
I had really never thought much about sippy cups vs open cups. It wasn't until I read this thread that I gave it much thought. My strategy so far has been to start testing the open cups around 18 months, and if it doesn't go well then they go back to sippy cups. I currently only have 1 year olds and 2 year olds, and all the 2 year olds drink from open cups. They use their sippy cups when we go out in the wagon, and I give them cups with lids and straws when we have smoothies.

daycaremom9
08-11-2014, 03:07 PM
I thought I was alone on this so thanks Crayola. All my kids have cups with lids. Why add stress with spills etc? My 4 yo still drinks milk out of a sippy cup. All the kids have water bottle they provide and they are more the ones with straws.

I also only have cups or water bottles with a lid and straw. I myself use thermos type cups with a lid for my coffee or water. I don't consider the water bottles sippy cups. A lot of times the kids will just stand at the table and take a sip of water. I find even the 4 year olds are unstable especially when they're not sitting down.