PDA

View Full Version : Interview cancelled because of school catchment area...this sucks!

CrazyEight
03-11-2014, 11:42 AM
I had an interview for this evening with what sounded like a great family for a before/after school child. Awesome hours, on-the-ball parents, it sounded like we were on the same page. Now they email and say they didn't realize that their son has to go to the school closest to them (he starts next year) and they aren't in my area. This is the second potential client I have had who doesn't seem to understand school catchment areas...is this not the case everywhere? It was my understanding that your kid goes to the public or catholic school that is closest to you, end of story. Unless you move mid-way through the school year, or your older child goes to a different school, etc, you can't just pick a random school and expect them to accommodate you. I don't get it when parents seem to have no idea about this.

Blah...the house is clean and ready, I have contracts printed up, I was really looking forward to hopefully securing this child. New clients are so hard to come by in this area; I really needed this interview!

torontokids
03-11-2014, 11:56 AM
If they use the daycare's address they can go to that school

playfelt
03-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Some school boards will bus or accept children from a daycare home and some will not. Make sure you know what your home schools are and then use that info when talking to the parents. If you are looking for school age kids then maybe print out a map so when a parent asks you will be able to tell them if their address is in your area or not.

CrazyEight
03-11-2014, 12:39 PM
My ad has the schools that are in my area right on it, as I'm literally right next door. I guess they wanted to send him to this school and didn't realize they couldn't if they didn't live here.