PDA

View Full Version : Child Safety Harness AKA "Leash"

AcornsFalling
03-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Hello,
I'm thinking about purchasing one to use for my son only. He is 22 months, loves to walk, but does not reliably stay beside me. I'm happy to ditch my double stroller, which is a piece of junk, and just use the single one for 16 month old dcb.
Anyone with experience or thoughts?
For me it is a safety issue to have him walk, because if he runs away I must leave the other walkers beside the stroller and chase him.
Thanks!

5 Little Monkeys
03-11-2014, 04:43 PM
I have two of these "leashes" and I really like them. I am like you and use them for safety reasons. Last summer I had 2 in the double umbrella stroller and 2 walkers. I wrap the leash part around the handles of the stroller, one on each side and they are asked to hold onto the stroller as well. There are times that it gets tricky (narrow side walks, meeting other people on the sidewalk etc) but for the most part it works beautifully! I also have used them with 2 in the wagon and I hang onto the two leashes and let the kids walk ahead of me.

I have had a few parents who have said they wouldn't personally use them but they understand why I have to use them and they are okay with this. They would rather have their child "leashed" than darting off to the street!

I do think one of the cons to these though is that it gives the child a lot of freedom. When not using the leash, I ask them to hold onto my hand and some of them don't want to do this until I firmly tell them there is no choice. So I do see why some might not like them. This is why I ask them to hold onto the stroller.

Busy ECE mommy
03-11-2014, 05:10 PM
I've used them for my own kids and the daycare kids. I bought the backpack animal kind from walmart, so they don't look as barbaric. I also have tied the end to the stroller handles as we walked and it saved me quite a few times with impulsive toddlers who tried to run off. My daycare parents loved them, and bought them for home too. To each their own, but they were a saviour for me.

5 Little Monkeys
03-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Yes, mine are the back pack kind too. One is a horse and one is an owl. They are super cute :) The owl one even has a little pocket...not that much could fit in it though!

I posted on a local forum back when I first started to find out people's opinions on them and I had a lot of people say "children aren't dogs" etc and so now when I do use them, I do wonder what others think but honestly, I don't care. Keeping the children safe is my 1st priority and I will do whatever I find easiest and safest.

treeholm
03-12-2014, 07:43 AM
When I used one for my youngest son, someone told me he was not a dog. I replied, "No, he isn't but he is at least as valuable to me, so I want to keep him as safe as I would keep my dog, if not more." That shut the person up. If I would use a leash to keep my golden retriever safe, why on earth would I not want to keep a child safe?

Calgarymom
03-12-2014, 11:53 AM
In England they are called "reigns" they are very popular and most parents use them, I was quite surprised at people's reactions when I take out my dck!! I think they are awesome :-)

2cuteboys
03-12-2014, 12:29 PM
I have horrible flashbacks to when I worked in retail in high school, and this awful 12-13 year old (who must have been babysitting a brother) was yanking a 3-4 year old around, jerking on it like someone would to a "bad dog"

However, if you are using them in an appropriate, loving way, I think they're totally fine. Plus from a provider standpoint, you only have two hands and many more kids than that. It's either a backpack or let them wander, which is worse?

AcornsFalling
03-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone! Good feedback!

mlv
03-13-2014, 10:46 AM
I always thought they were awful until I had children of my own. I used on on my daughter when she was a toddler, but not much she was always good with walking with me. However my 3 year old son has started to run away. He ran from my at the mall and I couldn't find him for like 5 mins, it was the biggest fright I ever had. I found him standing in the hall yelling out mommy. I thought he learned his lesson becouse he was scared too, but a week later he ran off again at a different store (didn't get lost this time ). So I will be getting one for him. I know a lot of people look at them negatively but I rather have people give my strange looks and point fingers them to have something bad happen to my children.