PDA

View Full Version : 'No poo' for your hair

AmandaKDT
03-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Bright Sparks's post about nutrition and organic foods has me thinking about what else I can do that is natural. I am feeling inspired! LOL! I consider myself mildly "crunchy" and always willing to try new things, especially I find it to be healthier or better for the environment.

I am considering doing 'no poo' for my hair, where I would permanently give up using shampoo and conditioner. I already sort of do this for my daughter's hair, they are half black and I only wash their hair with shampoo once a month and otherwise I only "wash" it with conditioner once a week. Even though I do this for their hair, I hadn't considered it possible for mine as it feels greasy after two days (where as my daughters' hair is NEVER greasy). But from what I have read, the use of commercially produced shampoos has trained our hair to produce excess oils and that is why it is getting greasy after only a day or two.

I don't know if anyone out there has ever tried this, or if someone might want to try it along with me (we could be online support to each other through the greasy haired "transition" days).

It might also be a budget friendly cost saving idea as you would no longer have to buy expensive hair products. Apparently you can just use baking soda and vinegar a couple times a month.

I don't know, I think I might give it a try. I think it will definitely be hard to get through the greasy hair stage, as I get very self conscious if I feel my hair is greasy. But perhaps I can persevere! LOL

5 Little Monkeys
03-24-2014, 03:27 PM
I only wash my hair every other day(sometimes every 3rd depending on the grease factor lol) but have tried to do the "no poo" and just use conditioner. It is not for me. I didn't like the way my hair felt or looked.

I coupon and buy shampoo and conditioner that I have coupons for. A few months ago I was able to buy clean and clear shampoo for 99 cents (originally $8.99) so I am still stocked up on that!! I actually really like it. I do splurge and buy the big bottles of shampoo at Chatters if I don't have any coupons for shampoo I like. They really aren't expensive when you compare the sizes to the small bottles at walmart for example.

I am not "crunchy" at all but will save money in some areas to splurge in others. I have realized that I am not comfortable giving up my "poo" :)

Good luck to ya though! They do say it is better

AcornsFalling
03-24-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm interested too... I'll join!

Secondtimearound
03-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Nope not crunchy !!! Lol although I know a few women that use baking soda and vinegar !! I love the smells of shampoo and cream rinse and hair sprays ect !!

cfred
03-24-2014, 04:21 PM
I am mildly crunchy as well, but just can't give up shampoo. My scalp is itchy after a couple days without washing....3 tops. However, I've started buying all my hair products at LUSH. I've found their products to be really good, without having a terrible impact on the environment and NO animal testing (the main reason I started). In fact, they make every supplier of ingredients sign a contract annually stating that they do not animal test either. I like that....very much :) Here's the link if anyone's interested.

http://www.lush.com/

2cuteboys
03-24-2014, 04:21 PM
I've heard that if you do it for long enough (a few months or more) you're hair quality improves and it starts to look better.

I've thought about it too as my hair is so dry! I only wash my hair every 3 days or so, it's got to the point that it's a bit greasy on the last day, but it's pretty dry the first, so that's a good song that it's adjusting.

2cuteboys
03-24-2014, 04:22 PM
I am mildly crunchy as well, but just can't give up shampoo. My scalp is itchy after a couple days without washing....3 tops. However, I've started buying all my hair products at LUSH. I've found their products to be really good, without having a terrible impact on the environment and NO animal testing (the main reason I started). In fact, they make every supplier of ingredients sign a contract annually stating that they do not animal test either. I like that....very much :) Here's the link if anyone's interested.

http://www.lush.com/

A friend of mine does this too... What is the cost like?

AmandaKDT
03-24-2014, 04:29 PM
I've heard that if you do it for long enough (a few months or more) you're hair quality improves and it starts to look better.

I've thought about it too as my hair is so dry! I only wash my hair every 3 days or so, it's got to the point that it's a bit greasy on the last day, but it's pretty dry the first, so that's a good song that it's adjusting.

I find my hair is super dry/fly away, but gets greasy after two days too. So I am hoping that after the transition period that perhaps it will get in better condition. I am not happy with it right now. But it takes awhile, weeks or months, to get to that point after stopping using the shampoo, so I guess we will see.

AmandaKDT
03-24-2014, 04:53 PM

Great! Do you want some links to website I found that explained how to do it? Or can you find it yourself?

I washed my hair last night with shampoo, so I am going "cold turkey" as of now! I will only rinse my hair with water and I still need to figure out the baking soda and vinegar stuff.

cfred
03-24-2014, 05:23 PM
A friend of mine does this too... What is the cost like?

It's pretty pricey at the outset, but if used sparingly (as it's supposed to be), it's pretty cost efficient I find. A standard shampoo puck is around $10 ($11 for ones with conditioner or specialty pucks). 1 puck will last me about a month, washing my hair every day. BUT....never forget to take it out of the shower and stand it on it's edge in the little tin....it'll turn into mush if left soaking. My hair has never been healthier. I love the stuff! For body wash, I like a few different (Flying Fox, Happy Hippie are favs). Those are costly ($30) for largest bottle. However, you need just a tiny amount on a shower pouf to get the job done...I mean like 3-4 drops! People tend to use way more than they need to, so go through it quickly. A large bottle will last me about 2-3 months if using by myself. These products are fantastic! I take the pucks traveling with me as, because I camp in Caribbean, I need environmentally friendly, multipurpose shampoo. I use it to wash my clothes and everything when away.

nschildcare
03-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Great! Do you want some links to website I found that explained how to do it? Or can you find it yourself?

I washed my hair last night with shampoo, so I am going "cold turkey" as of now! I will only rinse my hair with water and I still need to figure out the baking soda and vinegar stuff.

Count me in. I washed this morning.

superfun
03-24-2014, 07:24 PM
I find I usually go about 8 days before washing, and even then it's not that bad. But my problem is how to make it look nice when I don't want to wear it up in a ponytail. I don't use any styling product, but it looks so nice and curly after I wash it. It gets limp and boring after about 3 days.

momofnerds
03-25-2014, 09:34 AM
also wash only every other day. There was an article about a lady who didn't wash her hair for a long time. Unless it made my grey hair dissappear, I won't do it. And my head also gets itchy too. Now, I don't use styling products, and don't wear make up, thats way too much work lol!

cfred
03-25-2014, 09:43 AM
Yeah, my scalp will get really itchy if I leave it more than 2 days. But even worse than that is the smell. I cannot STAND the smell of oily hair...plech... I'd have to change my pillow case every night.

But yeah, if it made grey hair disappear, I'd probably suck it up.

AmandaKDT
03-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Yeah, my scalp will get really itchy if I leave it more than 2 days. But even worse than that is the smell. I cannot STAND the smell of oily hair...plech... I'd have to change my pillow case every night.

But yeah, if it made grey hair disappear, I'd probably suck it up.

It isn't that you don't ever wash your hair, you just stop washing with shampoo. After your hair adjusts itself in terms of how much oil your scalp produces then your hair is no longer greasy, it looks and smells like nice clean hair. The baking soda and vinegar can help has a cleaner and conditioner too.

from what I have read, it wasn't until around the 60s or 70s that people washed their hair as much as we do now. It was normal to wash hair once a week, or even only once a month. Like I had originally posted, I only wash my girls' hair with shampoo once a month and you would never know.

mickyc
03-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Interesting topic. I for one just don't think I could ever do this. My hair/skin is very greasy. I wash my hair daily and I feel absolutely disgusting if I don't. And the only reason I never would is because I don't have water to wash it.

Good for you ladies but this is certainly something I could never do.

FunnyFarm
03-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Please, Please read this prior to going "No Poo". I am a natural living person and make many things for my family- but this is not a good thing to do to your hair!!!!! I tried it- it can ruin your hair. I have chosen to purchase a quality organic shampoo. I save so much money making everything else, I don't mind the extra $$ on shampoo ;) http://empoweredsustenance. com/no-poo-method-damages-hair/

AcornsFalling
03-25-2014, 02:54 PM

I've looked it up quite a bit so next time I get to the store I'll find some acv and start too... Hopefully will not look like a grease ball!

AmandaKDT
03-25-2014, 09:10 PM
Please, Please read this prior to going "No Poo". I am a natural living person and make many things for my family- but this is not a good thing to do to your hair!!!!! I tried it- it can ruin your hair. I have chosen to purchase a quality organic shampoo. I save so much money making everything else, I don't mind the extra $$ on shampoo ;) http://empoweredsustenance. com/no-poo-method-damages-hair/

I guess I'll just have to see what happens. I have done lots of reading on it and apparently if you are using too much baking soda or are using it too often than you are not going to have good results.

Thanks for posting your article link, I like to know as much as I can about a topic that is of interest to me.

AmandaKDT
03-25-2014, 09:14 PM
I've looked it up quite a bit so next time I get to the store I'll find some acv and start too... Hopefully will not look like a grease ball!

I just rinsed my hair with water only tonight and put a bit of coconut oil at the ends. I also bought a boar hair brush because it is supposed to be good for distributing oil throughout your hair. I've taken the plunge! My plan is to not use the baking soda and vinegar until the weekend. I guess we will see!

nschildcare
03-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Alright no - pooers.....

I haven't washed but have been rinsing my hair with just water in the shower every morning. It looks fine, not greasy, but my hubby says it stinks :(

Any suggestions on that? How is everyone else doing?

5 Little Monkeys
03-27-2014, 11:09 AM
I don't know if this would help but if my roots are a little greasy and I don't have time to wash it, I will put a bit of baby powder on them. The grease disappears and my hair smells good lol.

AmandaKDT
03-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Alright no - pooers.....

I haven't washed but have been rinsing my hair with just water in the shower every morning. It looks fine, not greasy, but my hubby says it stinks :(

Any suggestions on that? How is everyone else doing?

Are you giving your scalp a good scrub when you rinse it? Also, apparently you can put essential oils or rose water on afterwards to give a nice smell.

I have also been giving my hair a good brushing twice a day with a boar bristle brush to help the oils distribute through my hair.

I haven't washed my hair since Monday and have done a water rinse only once and my hair doesn't seem to smell at all.

This morning I did a dry shampoo with a mixture of cornstarch, a bit of baking soda and some cocoa powder (to colour it brown so it wouldn't make my hair look white). It helps with absorbing some oil since it was looking abit greasy.

AmandaKDT
03-28-2014, 08:58 AM

Washed my hair for the first time with baking soda and apple cider vinegar and it worked well. It doesn't feel the same as if washed with shampoo, but it feels like it was cleaned.

I used one cup water to 1 tbsp baking soda and 1 cup water to 1 tbsp AC vinegar. I put each in a squeeze bottle.

AcornsFalling
03-28-2014, 04:13 PM
I washed with just water last night and my scalp feels less itchy but hair is pretty greasy looking.

I'm going to try the baking soda /acv tonight.

It's a head scarf kind of day :-P

Calgarymom
04-01-2014, 02:07 PM
. Hey ladies, I have been following this thread and was wondering if anyone had an update on how it was going. Good hair day or no?:rolleyes:

AmandaKDT
04-11-2014, 12:22 PM
So it will be 3 weeks this Sunday since I last washed my hair with commercial shampoo and conditioner and it is going well. I am still transitioning and trying to get my hair used to going longer without washing, so I wash with the baking soda and ACV every 4 days. On the 3rd day it starts getting greasy so I either use homemade dry shampoo (corn starch brushed on with an old blush brush) or I wear a hat. I brush it twice a day with my boar hair brush and I am not itchy and my hair doesn't smell.

I am finding that my hair has more body and that it has more wave to it, usually it goes pretty flat after the first day of washing but not anymore. The baking soda and ACV isn't drying out my hair at all, it is actually less staticy.

I am using 1 tbsp of baking soda in 1 cup of water, and 2 tbsp ACV in 1 cup of water.

How are others doing?