PDA

View Full Version : Naptime and contract

Samantha33
03-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Hello Ladies,

I have a contract and handbook. I've included naptime in my schedule but have nothing in the contract and it needs to be in there I feel. I was wondering what you ladies do? and how should it be written?

5 Little Monkeys
03-25-2014, 01:46 PM
This is my blurb on napping in my contract...

Nap Time
I have a separate room that is used for napping. It is in my view from the main play area. I also have a video baby monitor to view the children during nap. I have playpens, a bed and napping mats/cots that your child may sleep on. I ask that you bring a blanket for your child to use. This may be kept here and I will wash it on weekends unless you prefer to wash at home. I would like quiet time to be between 1pm and 3pm but depending on the day and the children this could be different. I encourage all children to nap but for those who do not, quiet activities will be encouraged, such as books, puzzles, tv and colouring. I ask that every child lay down for at least 30 minutes so that this allows me a break and to have my lunch. This also allows them a time to relax and rejuvenate before our afternoon activities.

bright sparks
03-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Hello Ladies,

I have a contract and handbook. I've included naptime in my schedule but have nothing in the contract and it needs to be in there I feel. I was wondering what you ladies do? and how should it be written?

Just curious....why do you feel it should be included in your contract, and what specifically did you want to have in your nap time policy?

I don't contract it because I don't think it's necessary. During interviews parents ask me where their child sleeps. I explain that they sleep in the daycare room or upstairs in my kids rooms if they are light sleepers. I go on to explain that they must provide a playpen and I provide a set of bedding for each child. I go on to explain that if a child needs a morning nap then they have one upstairs and that I have everyone on the same afternoon nap time schedule. I do not go on about nap time being compulsory, it can come across as harsh and I don't think it is productive. When the child gets older and if they start to nap less then I will reaffirm to parents that if they don't nap that is fine but it is quiet time and everyone goes for a lie down. I'm not going to make it a big issue because I feel that it becomes a big issue for the parents and some will then have a tendency to make it a huge ordeal later on because I set myself up. I also don't think it's a good idea to say nap time is 1-3. This will always fluctuate depending on the days activities and the dynamic of the group. If parents ask I always say that nap time is typical from between 11:45 and 12:30 and most kiddies nap for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, or whatever it is at that time. I see no need for it to be in the contract if it does not effect the parents, and really it doesn't. If there are differences in the child's nap routine then it is discussed with the parents to keep them up to date but that's it. The only time it would make sense to mention nap time is a contract would be tough light a no pick up time window.

AcornsFalling
03-25-2014, 03:07 PM
I also don't have it in my contract but I do state that all children are expected to have a rest time in the afternoon, and children who are no longer napping will be expected to lie down on the couch and quietly watch tv for 1 hour. I also state that tv will not routinely be used at any other time during the day. Not to say that we don't watch tv, but that it's not on all the time or used regularly. I like to keep it as a special treat when I really need a break or the kids are off :)

My general routine is nap from 1-3, but it can vary based on the day's activity.

Samantha33
03-25-2014, 03:57 PM
O.K. then I guess it's covered. Thanks ladies.

5 Little Monkeys
03-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Everyone is different but I like to have it in my contract because every single parent asks about nap so this way they know what my basic plan is. I have had some children who were napping at 2 or 3 in the afternoon until dinner at home while mom was on mat leave and those parents started to switch it to 1-3 before coming here so it would be easier on their child. Naptime can vary but for the most part, it is pretty routine here.