PDA

View Full Version : Summoned for Jury Selection

jodaycare
03-25-2014, 04:58 PM
I received a summons for jury selection on Feb 24, if selected the trial is expected to last 10 weeks!!!!!!
I immediately informed all of my parents and asked them to write letters stated that a trial of that length would cause extreme hardship. Which they all did, and I sent them all in with copies of their financial agreements the following week.
Fast forward to now, I am supposed to go to the jury selection on Monday and I have not heard from the court saying that I am excused so I have to assume that I am not. I am panicking because I WILL lose my business if I am selected, I will lose almost $10,000.
I told all the parents tonight that I have not heard back and they were not impressed to say the least. Both my Daughter and Husband are home on Monday so I told the parents that everything would stay as normal since they all know my husband and daughter.
Any suggestions as to what to say on Monday to get out of being selected for a 10 week trial! I will definitely emphasize that I WILL lose my business but they already know that since I put it in my letter to the judge.
Thanks for reading.

5 Little Monkeys
03-25-2014, 05:07 PM
If you can't get out of jury duty, can you try to find a replacement for your daycare? Mother, mother-inlaw, other family member, friend, a combo of people? Maybe consider hiring a replacement? It's not ideal but not sure what else you can do.

I'll cross my fingers for you and hope you don't get selected!!

jodaycare
03-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Well for next week, I will be fine since hubby is on afternoons and DD will be home. I simply cant afford to lose the income either by attending jury duty or hiring a replacement. I am struggling financially as it is.

bright sparks
03-25-2014, 05:29 PM
There is every chance the judge hasn't had the letter brought to his attention. Probably thousands of people try to get out of it for multiple reasons and even if it was mailed to the judge, a clerk has opened the letter and likely just hasn't brought it the judges attention as urgent. I would take everything in with you to the selection that you already mailed with a cover letter giving great detailed specifics on how this will put you not only in financial hardship but your business will be ruined and you will leave five families in financial hardship also as they will not have the ability to go to work.

jodaycare
03-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Yes that is definitely a possiblity and I am hoping that they excuse me when I get there. I am planning on taking all of the paperwork with me.

Samantha33
03-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Wishing you good luck!

torontokids
03-25-2014, 06:33 PM
My husband works in the courts. There are certain jobs that are automatically recused (you have to go to jury selection first) don't remember which but I am sure small business owners are in that group. There are also certain things you can say that would make them not want you and I will ask him what those things are (there are the obvious like racist jurors with a minority defendant). I know prosecutors don't like social workers (empathize too much with defendant) and also teachers as they turn the process into "their classroom" including the deliberation. He'll be home in a bit and I'll post for you.

mimi
03-25-2014, 06:51 PM
I was summoned for jury duty a few years ago. I just stated I am self employed and a lengthy absence would jeopardise my business and recovery could take a year if I lost my current clients. They recused me.
Good luck, don't worry and just tell the truth.

suzydominguez
03-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Did you try calling them. I had been summoned to jury duty last year and I also had parents write letters to excuse me. I called them, left a message and I received a call right after that I had been excused.

torontokids
03-25-2014, 07:51 PM
My husband said you should be fine but you will probably have to stay until the jury is selected (could be a week).

jodaycare
03-26-2014, 04:56 AM
Did you try calling them. I had been summoned to jury duty last year and I also had parents write letters to excuse me. I called them, left a message and I received a call right after that I had been excused.

I was summoned in 2006 as well and I basically sent the same letter as I did this time and I was excused. Out of curiousity, what did you say in the message. I am going to call them today but have no idea what to say. Thanks

suzydominguez
03-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Just give them your name and jury information (I don't remember off hand what is on the summons sheet). Tell them that you have been summoned for jury selection on Monday, but that you would like to know if you have been excused from it and if they can call you.

It is very nerve wreaking !! I was a walking mess. They have no clue what we are up against having to do this. I truly wish you all the best and hope to GOD you are excused again. Let me know how it goes.

jodaycare
03-26-2014, 12:20 PM
So I called about 7:30 this morning to leave a message and there was a message on the line saying that jury selections for Mar 31 and April 1, panel 17 (the one I was in) are cancelled!!!!!
I did a crazy happy dance!

bright sparks
03-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Great news, I can read the relived tone in your post :)