PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Bank

bright sparks
03-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Someone suggested a recipe thread so I thought I would start off. Maybe it would be helpful if people started their posts with what type of recipe it is in bold so that people can skip through if they are looking for ideas in a specific area without having to read everything during their search. Hopefully we can just keep this thread going as a bank of sorts. So here goes...

SNACK..Vegan, Gluten Free, Nut Free

"No Bake Chewy Cocoa Granola Bars"

DRY INGREDIENTS
1 cup of crispy brown rice cereal
3/4 cup rolled oats. gluten free
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (I substitute with 1/4 cup chocolate chips)
2 packets powdered stevia

WET INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup coconut butter (not oil, look for the butter, should be in similar area)
1/3 cup creamed honey
1tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl
2. Either in a pan on the stove or in microwave, combine wet ingredients and melt, takes approx. 1 minute, stirring
3. Pour into dry ingredients and stir well until combined.
4. Line a baking dish, brownie pan, with parchment hanging slightly over sides and spray with non-stick cooking spray or oil.
5. Pour mixture into dish and press down evenly with a spatula.
6. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
7. Lift out slab with parchment overhang onto chopping board
8. Slice into squares or bars and wrap individually with clingwrap

This recipe could easily be adapted to not be gluten free which would reduce the cost lots. I substitute the cocoa for cacoa which makes these a whole lot healthier but more expensive too. The honey has to be creamed otherwise it won't hold the bars together properly. I also store the bars in the fridge which gives them a longer shelf life and keeps them together well. I make a double batch which makes 20 granola bars which last well in the fridge for 2 weeks. These hold up well in kids school lunches without an ice pack. Substituting the seeds for chocolate chips make these taste very close to store bought granola bars without any of the bad ingredients, my kids wouldn't eat them with the sunflower seeds in them.

torontokids
03-26-2014, 02:04 PM
I know that this thread started in search of healthy recipes but I was wondering if anyone has a good vanilla/white cake recipe? I always make the cakes from scratch and have a few good chocolate cake recipes but always find the vanilla disappointing (too dense, dry). Anyone have a tried and true? My daughter and husband's birthdays are this weekend.

torontokids
03-26-2014, 02:08 PM
My fruit leather recipe is
8 oz fruit
1Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp sugar

I puree the fruit until smooth, add the sugar and lemon juice. Cook on the stove for 10 mins approx until thick and "jam like." Spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment ND BAKE AT 170 for 3-4 hrs or until no longer sticky just slightly tacky.

I found it a little sweet the last time so I will try subbing for agave nectar or decrease the sugar.

bright sparks
03-26-2014, 02:44 PM
I know that this thread started in search of healthy recipes but I was wondering if anyone has a good vanilla/white cake recipe? I always make the cakes from scratch and have a few good chocolate cake recipes but always find the vanilla disappointing (too dense, dry). Anyone have a tried and true? My daughter and husband's birthdays are this weekend.

I have a Victoria sponge cake that should do the trick :)

bright sparks
03-26-2014, 02:54 PM
My fruit leather recipe is
8 oz fruit
1Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp sugar

I puree the fruit until smooth, add the sugar and lemon juice. Cook on the stove for 10 mins approx until thick and "jam like." Spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment ND BAKE AT 170 for 3-4 hrs or until no longer sticky just slightly tacky.

I found it a little sweet the last time so I will try subbing for agave nectar or decrease the sugar.

I substituted with evaporated cane juice which can be switched like for like but I think in this case it was my problem. I may just try to do it to the recipe first and see if I have better luck prior to tampering with it.

bright sparks
03-26-2014, 03:04 PM
CAKE This is an English recipe so you will need to convert to cups if you do not use kitchen scales.

Victoria Sponge Cake

225g/8oz butter
225g/8oz sugar
4 eggs, beaten
350g/12oz self raising flour
2-3tbsp milk

1.Grease and line 2 cake tins
2.Cream the butter and the sugar together until pale and fluffy
3.Gradually add the eggs a little at a time beating well after each addition.
4.Fold in the flour then add enough milk to give a soft dropping consistency.
5.Divide the mixture evenly between tins and bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
6. Turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack

Artsand crafts
03-26-2014, 04:59 PM
I have not had a dck that had resisted to this souffle. Even the picky eaters have liked it.

Carrot souffle

1 pound carrots, chopped
1/2 cup butter softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 by 19 in casserole. Steam carrots until tender (around 15 to 20 minutes) and mash. Stir in butter, vanilla extract and eggs; mix well. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; stir into carrot mixture and blend until smooth. Transfer to prepared casserole dish. Bake for 40 minutes.

5 Little Monkeys
03-26-2014, 05:44 PM
I know this isn't a healthy recipe but I am a chocolate lover and have made these cookies twice in about a week now. They are soooo good. You could omit the chocolate and it would be healthier?? haha. (I'm sorry, I don't know how to make something bold!)

COOKIES
http://www.ambitiouskitchen .com/2013/08/chewy-chocolate-chunk-coconut-oatmeal-cookies-made-with-coconut-oil/

Artsand crafts
03-26-2014, 06:07 PM
5LM, I looove chocolate cookies... I am making these next week after I get the coconut oil and the coconut. Chocolate is not as bad as most think. Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants. It is actually healthy. Too many calories, though if you are watching your weight.

Here is another good chocolate chips cookies recipe. These are delicious:

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto baking sheet.
3. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are browned.

5 Little Monkeys
03-26-2014, 06:44 PM
I agree artsandcrafts about the dark chocolate....unfortu nately I didn't have any so I've used chocolate chips in it haha.

Polkaroo
03-26-2014, 08:35 PM
I LOVE this post! Thanks ladies!

nschildcare
03-27-2014, 11:19 AM
My dcks had this for lunch today (I adapted from the Looney Spoons cookbook). Apologies in advance, I'm not a big measurer!

Home made mac and cheese, with beef and veggies.

Large package of lean ground beef, browned and drain. Set aside.

As meat is browning, cook pasta according to directions.

In large pot, saute 1 diced onion and 2 chopped zucchinis in olive oil. Add ground beef, 1 can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes (I pureed mine) and seasonings. I used garlic, basil and oregano.

Make cheese sauce:
Approx 1/4 c of margarine in pot. Heat to melt.
Add 1/4 c flour. Stir to mix and allow to bubble slightly.
Add 1.5 cup of milk, slowly. Stir continuously until thickened.
Add 1-2 c (depending on how cheesy you like it) of grated cheese. Stir until melted.

Now add cheese sauce into large pot with beef, tomatoes and veggies. Stir until bubbly.

when pasta is cooked, drain, rinse and add to pot with sauce. Serve hot.

***This makes a lot. We are a family of 6, plus dcks. There was enough sauce to do a large casserole for family and dcks, plus do a small gluten free version for mine. I used gf flour for the cheese sauce and cooked gf pasta for mine. My family had leftovers for lunch the next day, as did the dcks, and I had enough leftover for me, as well.

AmandaKDT
03-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Quinoa Greek "Salad"

Cook quinoa in broth (veggies, chicken, beef, whatever) according to instructions on box and let cool.
Add lemon juice and olive oil and stir - I just do it to taste, I love lemon juice. Maybe a tbsp of oil.
Add chopped cherry tomatoes, Red peppers, green onion, cucumber, feta cheese and black olives.

This is a favourite in my house, and very healthy.

daycaremom9
03-27-2014, 03:25 PM
My dcks had this for lunch today (I adapted from the Looney Spoons cookbook). Apologies in advance, I'm not a big measurer!

Home made mac and cheese, with beef and veggies.

Large package of lean ground beef, browned and drain. Set aside.

As meat is browning, cook pasta according to directions.

In large pot, saute 1 diced onion and 2 chopped zucchinis in olive oil. Add ground beef, 1 can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes (I pureed mine) and seasonings. I used garlic, basil and oregano.

Make cheese sauce:
Approx 1/4 c of margarine in pot. Heat to melt.
Add 1/4 c flour. Stir to mix and allow to bubble slightly.
Add 1.5 cup of milk, slowly. Stir continuously until thickened.
Add 1-2 c (depending on how cheesy you like it) of grated cheese. Stir until melted.

Now add cheese sauce into large pot with beef, tomatoes and veggies. Stir until bubbly.

when pasta is cooked, drain, rinse and add to pot with sauce. Serve hot.

***This makes a lot. We are a family of 6, plus dcks. There was enough sauce to do a large casserole for family and dcks, plus do a small gluten free version for mine. I used gf flour for the cheese sauce and cooked gf pasta for mine. My family had leftovers for lunch the next day, as did the dcks, and I had enough leftover for me, as well.

That sounds like a great idea! I was going to make sheperd's pie with the ground turkey that I have in the fridge but I think I'll make it with macaroni & cheese instead. It'll also be gluten free as my hubby is celiac. Do you ever find that the gluten free flour makes sauces an ugly grey color?

AmandaKDT
04-01-2014, 12:59 PM
No Marshmallows Rice Crispie Cake

Ingredients
8 cups brown rice cereal (use crispy rice, NOT puffed!)
¼ cup ground flax seed
2 tbsp water
1 cup brown rice syrup (I used honey)
⅔ cup unsweetened sunflower seed butter (I used almond butter)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Instructions
Lightly oil a 9×13 pan with whatever oil you have on hand. Coconut oil, safflower, sunflower, or vegan butter spread, would work well. Set aside.
Place brown rice cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
In a medium-sized sauce pan, add rice syrup (or honey), sunflower seed butter (or almond butter, natural peanut butter), and vanilla extract. Mix about a tbsp or two of water into the ground flaxseed and then add it to the pot. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until ingredients have liquified and it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
Pour syrup over rice crisp mixture and stir to coat.
Once all crisps have been coated, drop the mixture into the prepared pan and even it out with a spatula, pressing down firmly. Allow it to chill for 1 hour before cutting.

The ground flaxseed can be used as an egg substitute, so I changed the original recipe and included it in the liquids to help use it as a binder since you aren't using marshmallows.

I made this on the weekend for the first time and my girls (and husband) loved it. It is a healthier "real food" version of the classic rice Krispy cake. It doesn't stay together as well as the regular recipe at room temperature, but it tastes really good. The addition of the nut butter also adds protein.

bright sparks
04-01-2014, 01:53 PM
No Marshmallows Rice Crispie Cake

Ingredients
8 cups brown rice cereal (use crispy rice, NOT puffed!)
¼ cup ground flax seed
2 tbsp water
1 cup brown rice syrup (I used honey)
⅔ cup unsweetened sunflower seed butter (I used almond butter)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Instructions
Lightly oil a 9×13 pan with whatever oil you have on hand. Coconut oil, safflower, sunflower, or vegan butter spread, would work well. Set aside.
Place brown rice cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
In a medium-sized sauce pan, add rice syrup (or honey), sunflower seed butter (or almond butter, natural peanut butter), and vanilla extract. Mix about a tbsp or two of water into the ground flaxseed and then add it to the pot. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until ingredients have liquified and it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
Pour syrup over rice crisp mixture and stir to coat.
Once all crisps have been coated, drop the mixture into the prepared pan and even it out with a spatula, pressing down firmly. Allow it to chill for 1 hour before cutting.

The ground flaxseed can be used as an egg substitute, so I changed the original recipe and included it in the liquids to help use it as a binder since you aren't using marshmallows.

I made this on the weekend for the first time and my girls (and husband) loved it. It is a healthier "real food" version of the classic rice Krispy cake. It doesn't stay together as well as the regular recipe at room temperature, but it tastes really good. The addition of the nut butter also adds protein.

Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing. I would probably make it with sunflower seed butter so the kids could still take it to school.

5 Little Monkeys
04-07-2014, 04:40 PM
I am looking for any "treat" recipes that are dairy free. I know I could google them but I prefer recipes that people I "know" have actually made and liked. I have a little boy with a dairy allergy so his parents send all his food. However, when I give the kids a treat, I feel bad because I have nothing for him! Today for example I made cookies with coconut oil and was going to omit the choc chips for him but the oil may contain milk so it wasn't safe either.

bright sparks
04-07-2014, 04:51 PM
I am looking for any "treat" recipes that are dairy free. I know I could google them but I prefer recipes that people I "know" have actually made and liked. I have a little boy with a dairy allergy so his parents send all his food. However, when I give the kids a treat, I feel bad because I have nothing for him! Today for example I made cookies with coconut oil and was going to omit the choc chips for him but the oil may contain milk so it wasn't safe either.

So I would switch what oil you use, grapeseed is a very good option, and then use chocolate chips that are this brand.....widely available at grocery stores in the organic section. Maybe even ask mom to supply you with them. They should last a while, but here in Ontario they actually only cost $3.99 a package so not to pricey at all.

http://www.enjoylifefoods.c om/chocolate-for-baking/mini-chips/

5 Little Monkeys
04-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks, I will look for those here!

nschildcare
04-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Whoops... meant to quote from above. Daycaremom9

I think it depends on the flour. I've used brown rice and the texture was a little different. I have gotten used to it, though.

This time around I used a gf blend from bob's mill. Pretty pricey, though.

daycaremom9
04-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Whoops... meant to quote from above. Daycaremom9

I think it depends on the flour. I've used brown rice and the texture was a little different. I have gotten used to it, though.

This time around I used a gf blend from bob's mill. Pretty pricey, though.

Isn't it all?!lol I tried making my own flour blend:
1/2 cup potato starch(not potato flour)
1/4 cup tapioca starch
2 tbsp. amaranth or millet flour
2 tbsp sorghum flour

I haven't tried it yet but it's ready to go for the next time I need flour.

AmandaKDT
04-14-2014, 08:15 PM

I have made this cake many times, is yummy.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/egg-free-dairy-free-nut-free-cake/

5 Little Monkeys
04-14-2014, 08:19 PM
I have made this cake many times, is yummy.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/egg-free-dairy-free-nut-free-cake/

Thanks!! I am going to make this into cupcakes and freeze so I can just pull out one for him when needed! :)