PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar to clean

Lee-Bee
03-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Anyone use vinegar to clean the tables etc in their daycare?

I currently use "green" cleaner and lots of it but I have a good half a roll of paper towel to throw in the garbage each day (4 self feeding 12-16month olds means lots of table/chair/floor scrubbing).

I would like to try out vinegar so I can at least put the paper towel in the compost. I'd likely switch to cleaning rags too as I can throw them in my daily wash with the bibs and face cloths. I don't like to put the rags of cleaner in our laundry.

Is the vinegar strong enough? Any recommendations on the water to vinegar ratio?

Do you just use the vinegar or do you still do a good cleaning with cleaner at regular intervals?

crafty
03-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Hi there !

I use vinegar to clean my floors and surfaces. The ratio I use is half and half with water and vinegar to ensure everything is sanitized I add about 12 drops of tea tree oil. It is safer for the kids and the environment. Not to mention I do have allergies to most of the products out there. I use the norwex cleaning cloths as well. They were expensive but you don't need ANY soap. I find that using vinegar to dust keeps it from sticking to the furniture .

The only thing I still use is toilet bowl cleaner. It's probably fine to use your own homemade cleaners and will still do a great job but I just can't wrap my head around it yet :)

momma2two
03-28-2014, 12:51 PM
I always use vinegar. It's non toxic, never streaks and neutralizes odors! And the best part it's really inexpensive. I keep the cleaning products for the bathroom area only. I also use a 50/50 vinegar/water ratio. I'm not a huge fan of the vinegar smell so I add some essential oils to it to make it less potent.

superfun
03-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Hi there !

I use vinegar to clean my floors and surfaces. The ratio I use is half and half with water and vinegar to ensure everything is sanitized I add about 12 drops of tea tree oil. It is safer for the kids and the environment.

I have tea tree oil around here somewhere, but this is the first time I've heard of it being added to my vinegar for cleaning. Is it essential?

crafty
03-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Well it's a natural antiseptic so I feel it kills of germs better and keeps head lice away (so I also had a few drops to our shampoo). However, I've heard any essential oils will do in homemade cleaners.

Artsand crafts
03-28-2014, 04:21 PM
I use 1/3 of vinegar and the rest is water. I also add tea tree oil and lavender. Lavender smells good and it is also a natural disinfectant. I use this solution everyday for all surfaces, including floors. For washrooms I also use green cleaners, except for the toilet. When there is a contagious illness around or a diaper has leaked I use bleach to disinfect.

superfun
03-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Cool, I didn't realize that. I have it around to put in our shampoo's, but I never thought to add it to my vinegar water. Now I also want to go out to buy lavender.

Secondtimearound
03-28-2014, 08:02 PM
I just use vinegar and water . 1/2 and 1/2 . Love it !!! I use it on mirrors too ! I use all homemade products . The only thing I went back to is furniture polish but just realized recently I had made it wrong so I may try it again !!

FunnyFarm
03-29-2014, 08:37 AM
I don't use anything but water and Norwex Microfiber cloths. Their Microfiber cloths are unique in that they completely remove any bacteria on a surface and have silver inside the fibers that destroy the bacteria once it is in the cloth. I have protein tested my house (the ones used by food inspectors) after cleaning and there is nothing there! I love it.

Artsand crafts
03-29-2014, 01:48 PM
I don't use anything but water and Norwex Microfiber cloths. Their Microfiber cloths are unique in that they completely remove any bacteria on a surface and have silver inside the fibers that destroy the bacteria once it is in the cloth. I have protein tested my house (the ones used by food inspectors) after cleaning and there is nothing there! I love it.

That sounds interesting. I have been reading about these products and reviews. Are you close to Toronto? Do you know where I can find a Norwex consultant close to Toronto?

DCMG
03-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Arts and crafts, my cousin has used Norwex for years and has just starting as a consultant. She is in Whitby if that helps. I just starting using it myself and have noticed a huge difference. Send me a message if you would like her info.

torontokids
03-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Someone else on here is as well...I think maybe Crayola Kiddies?

FunnyFarm
03-30-2014, 09:33 AM
and I sell Norwex too in the Halton/GTA area too if anyone would like ;)

Frogwash
09-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Vinegar seems to work well with light cleaning, especially glass, but being an acid its really more of a sanitizer. Most effective cleaners, such as soaps and detergents, are base. Be careful using vinegar around marble as it will dissolve it. I'm curious how Norwex would work with a big mess... can it pick up particles as well?

33 Daiseys
09-24-2014, 07:37 PM
get a bucket with a close fitting lid. fill the bucket half full of water and 15 drops of tea tree oil, and 1/2 cup of vinegar. make room for it under you kitchen sink. buy two packs of the cheap face cloths, the 20 pk for 9.99 at walmart, and use them to wash faces. when done throw them in the bin, and they will keep till friday. when day care closes on friday night just dump the whole thing in your washer.
Note if something more then wiping more then sticky fingers, make sure to rinse before dumping.