PDA

View Full Version : Measles and babies

cfred
04-02-2014, 04:38 PM
I have a question for you ladies and this is a bit more anonymous than asking family and friends. My boyfriend's kids haven't been vaccinated. I currently have 1 child in care who is under 1 and 2 parents with brand new babies who are in and out frequently. One of them is my sister. My little niece is only 3 weeks old, was 5 weeks premature and just left NICU about 1.5 weeks ago. His kids have been making noise about meeting my new niece and I'm not sure how much longer I can change the subject. I don't want to be paranoid....but...I' m a bit concerned about unimmunized children coming into contact with little ones who haven't been immunized yet. Maybe not right this second as the closest outbreak is still 2 hours away...but again...it's only 2 hours away! How long till that expands to a greater area, ya know? I feel nuts even being concerned about this. It's bound to offend my boyfriend and his exwife if I ask that the children not visit my daycare or family at this point. I feel weird about it but, with these current outbreaks, I'm feeling a bit worried about exposing all these teeny babies to anyone who could possibly be carrying the virus. If it wasn't anywhere around here, I probably wouldn't bother...but 2 hours away is closer than I'm comfortable with, especially living so close to Toronto with people commuting from all over.

Daisy123
04-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Check the Kids Health website. Lots of info on measles and little ones. I'd be worried though.
http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/measles.html#

CrazyEight
04-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Honestly, I'd be a bit worried too. What would you say IF (and yes, it's a big IF, but still a possibility) one of your bf's kids DID come down with it and expose the little ones?

Is there some way you could get someone with medical authority to back you up? For example, maybe your sister could ask your niece's doctor at the next visit? If the doctor says the chances are remote, then maybe it might help alleviate your fears, but if the doctor expresses some concern, then it might make your saying something feel more legitimate? Just a thought...

It's definitely a difficult situation, but I don't think you're overreacting!

Wonderwiper
04-03-2014, 06:21 AM
FYI cfred....confirmed cases in Hamilton and Halton, its getting closer!!!!

Maybe telehealth can help?

cfred
04-03-2014, 07:22 AM
Yeah, I saw the news yesterday about Hamilton and Burlington. Too close for my liking! What freaks me out the most is that they post all the places that person was in a 3 day period. It's significant.....all very public places and one can assume, with some of them being bars, they're crowded. A couple visits to the hospitals, with a wide cross section of ages and health concerns. When it's all laid out in text like that, you can see how easily (and quickly) it can spread!

I looked at the website, thank you Daisy123. Yep, I think I'll have to err on the side of caution on this one. I can't imagine how awful it would be to unwittingly exposed young babies to measles, just to save others' feelings. I suppose if one wishes to be an antivaxxer, these are issues they'll have to contend with. My cousin couldn't be vaccinated because she's deathly allergic to components of some vaccines. She did get measles and had to spend a good deal of time in a darkened room...very sick young lady!

Thanks for reaffirming what I already kinda knew...just needed to hear it from others too I think :) His daughter's 12 and has been chomping at the bit to hold the new baby and to come and help me in the daycare. Time for an awkward conversation I think.

AmandaKDT
04-03-2014, 08:05 AM
I wouldn't let them near the baby either, and if it were me I would have the hard conversation and tell your boyfriend why. They chose not to vaccinate and it is your right to keep their kids away from this little baby.

It isn't just measles to be worried about, think about all the other diseases they are not vaccinated from. I know someone whose baby contracted meningitis just before their scheduled vaccination and the baby became partially blind and has a disability now.