PDA

View Full Version : Feel really bad!

Skysue
09-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi ladies,

A friend of mine knew I was having a hard time filling spaces and she had a friend call for care. She needed part time care for her JK little one. Two days a week then 3, two than 3 per month. I committed and said yes. She was suppose to drop off a deposit on Thurs of last week and didn't show.

She just called today to say that she only needs care for 1 day a week than 2 days consecutive per month. Eventually leading to 2 days/ 3 days but not knowing when?

Having perspective clients who are looking for full time care I said it isn't worth me holding the space for only 6 days a month and I’m sorry but she will have to find alternate care. I told her if she couldn’t find care than I can help her out until she does.

She is mad at me but from a business standpoint what else can I do?

Now I feel like I've ruined something for my friend!

Play and Learn
09-06-2011, 08:11 PM
What friends sometimes don't understand is that we're a business, and the only way we can make money is if we have full-time children in our care. When friends of ours are asking if we have space, I tell them that I'm only looking for full-time care ONLY.

horsegirl
09-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I have come across such situations and I have told the parent that I am looking for a full time family to fill the space and that they may have the space until I find such a family. You may as well supplement your family income even if it is only for 1X per week. Once the child is in my care the parents realize that they are receiving quality care for their child and they usually take the extra days very soon after starting. I even offer the parents a chance to tell their friends about the space and maybe they know someone that would want to share the full time spot.

mom-in-alberta
09-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Always tricky, dealing with friends!! :(
If you feel like you can salvage it, then I would offer the care until a) she finds another provider or b) you fill the spot. Make sure you go into it with the idea that it's just extra money, and no hard feelings if she pulls with no notice. And make sure that you are EXTRA clear that if you fill that spot, you will need to give her notice. It might be easiest to put your pride in your pocket and say "Hey, I feel like you are a little upset at me, but this is my income, and I need to know that a certain amount is coming in. I wish I could help you more, but if it means not knowing what I will be paid and when, I just can't. I hope you understand." You would think that she would!!!