PDA

View Full Version : Reading 3 yr old

3rdtimesacharm
04-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Hi everyone, I just want your opinion on if this is normal at all...
My son turns four next month. He starts school this September, JK.
He has always been good with his numbers and letters and he can read very easily. He can read anything from signs in stores to my newspaper headlines.
He can read this post if I asked him to.
With his numbers, he is starting to add numbers, 2+2, 3+3 type thing....
I am planning on sending him to French Immersion at a local public school. I think the challenge of a new language may be enough to keep him from becoming bored or uninterested...
Is this a good idea in your opinion? Or should I be enrolling him in regular, English speaking class?

Dreamalittledream
04-07-2014, 05:06 AM
Wow! Fantastic! French Immersion for sure in my opinion:)

bright sparks
04-07-2014, 07:47 AM
I too think French immersion would be a good fit. It's not that they have a heavier load at all in the program because the English curriculum isn't there, but the fact that he has this early basic knowledge indicates to me that his English proficiency wouldn't suffer as a result which happens in a lot of cases as the English is neglected by the curriculum. I doubt the program would serve to challenge him at all, but would likely be easier for him. I'd also push for testing so that if he is gifted, which it is to early to say at this age regardless of how early he is doing these things, he can be enriched at school which will be where he is given more challenging work tasks.

Crayola kiddies
04-07-2014, 08:42 AM
French for sure !!! Kids are sponges and he will pick it up fast ..... My three youngest are in French immersion .... Jk is generally all English with about 90 mins of French and at my school sk is 50/50 and then starting at grade 1 its all French and 90 mins of English

bright sparks
04-07-2014, 09:03 AM
My daughter is in grade 7 French immersion and sometimes doesn't have any English in a day. I don't think it is time specific but subject specific so depends what subjects are taught in English in the curriculum and when they are scheduled during the timetable cycle. Depending on the teacher too, a lot of my daughters classes in English get switched which isn't good, but is reality. I find that I have to support a lot of my daughters English because there is a deficit in the French program, but she was very quick and early learning so its not really an issue with her but I have heard lots of parents complain about their child's struggles with English spelling for example because their curriculum neglects to focus on these things. The teacher you get also influences these things a lot....If your son is advanced in these areas though I think it will make him more successful in his education in French immersion.