PDA

View Full Version : "Are your prices negotiable?"

CPST_Manda
09-07-2011, 08:58 AM
I have only had about 4 enquiries so far and TWO of them have asked if my prices are negotiable.

Full time care in my area is between $35.00-40.00/day. I'm charging $40.00 because I only buy organic meat/dairy/soy and corn products and MOST of our fruits and veggies. It's expensive, but it's what I feed my kids so that's what everyone will eat. I know some parents don't appreciate this, and I get that but then pick another provider for crying out loud. I'm not selling bongs at a booth in the Flea Market for the love of God!

So frustrating that parents are trying to get blood from a stone when it comes to someone who is going to be providing care for their children!!! A 10 month old no less.

Is this very common?

playfelt
09-07-2011, 09:10 AM
All too common. But there are many parents that are looking for organic and will understand that it isn't as cheap to eat this way. Make sure in your advertising that you emphasize the organic foods so you can draw in that crowd. Since the rates in your area are up to $40 a day you are right in the ballpark even without the organics. When someone asks if your rate is negotiable say something like sorry you will have to decide if organic foods, (-list here a couple of your special attributes such as your education, location, setup, hours or whatever sets you aside from the others) are worth the extra investment in your child. Making it about the child and not just dollars in the pocket book might help them to see your setting for it really is.

KingstonMom
09-07-2011, 09:29 AM
"I'm not selling bongs at a booth in the Flea Market for the love of God!"

Hahaha!! too funny!!
I agree with Playfelt, you are positively doing fine if you are asking the going rate and alot of parents are looking for the organic benefit that you are providing.
Besides giving it more time, maybe try to advertise in different areas. Besides on this site, try kijiji, posting ads at schools, playgroups, on mailboxes in your area, even stores if they allow it. Here in Kingston, I would advertise at a shop called "Go Green Baby", where they sell cloth diapers, naturally made toys, organics etc. Also at Universities and Colleges could provide you with a different market.
But whatever you do don't budge on the rates. You are right, we are not bartering our salary, and you deserve the extra due to the expense in food!!

fruitloop
09-07-2011, 09:41 AM
My fees are not negotiable and never will be unless they want to pay me more! Then I might bend a bit...lol. I serve a lot of organics, whole gain foods here too and it is expensive but all the families I have in care want this for their children so they will pay. You don't want a family in care that thinks your fees are negotiable!

FS2011
09-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Feeding all organic and they don't want this for a 10 month old!!??? I wonder if some people have a brain in their head!

Skysue
09-07-2011, 02:49 PM
I have only had about 4 enquiries so far and TWO of them have asked if my prices are negotiable.

Full time care in my area is between $35.00-40.00/day. I'm charging $40.00 because I only buy organic meat/dairy/soy and corn products and MOST of our fruits and veggies. It's expensive, but it's what I feed my kids so that's what everyone will eat. I know some parents don't appreciate this, and I get that but then pick another provider for crying out loud. I'm not selling bongs at a booth in the Flea Market for the love of God!

So frustrating that parents are trying to get blood from a stone when it comes to someone who is going to be providing care for their children!!! A 10 month old no less.

Is this very common?

People that are motivated by price are not loking for quality care there looking for cheap daycare. Hot dogs and alphagetties... sorry if I have offended anyone but thats the bottom line in my opinion!

horsegirl
09-07-2011, 03:50 PM
You don't want a family in your daycare that is always trying to negotiate a better deal. I have dealt with parents like this before and I explain to them that I charge $40.00 per day and that this works out to be $3.81 per hour ( I am open 7am-5:30pm). I ask them if they don't think that their child is worth this small amount. I also ask them if they would work for this amount per hour.

I have a paragraph in my contract that explains why I charge what I do. I state that I do not have a medical or dental plan, nor do I have a pension fund, I cannot take off emergency days, nor can I accumulate my overtime and take it off as paid holidays. I have to pay for extra house insurance, liability insurance, special auto insurance and all the equipment and materials that their children use in my daycare. I also remind them that the benefits that most of them get from their employer is approx. 35% of their wage. They seem to forget the amount that they pay their babysitter while they go out for the evening--$10 per hour, or their favorite bottle of wine. Again, is their child not worth the $3.81 per hour.

Think twice about these families you do not need the hassle.:thumbdown:

CPST_Manda
09-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks ladies! I feel a lot better. I'm thinking everything you've all posted and you're absolutely right. I do not want to accept a family that is price shopping when it comes to care. It's not like my prices are out of line with the norm in our area and I'm in NO HURRY to fill spots. I've been at home with my kids for 3 years and 1 more isn't going to break us. I'm sure a family that appreciates the way I do things will come along and we'll make out just fine :)

Sunflower
09-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Just ask them if they want the level of care to be negotiable as well lol

playfelt
09-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Sometimes parents will ask for breaks for but once you explain things to them most will see things from your standpoint. Another one is always do I give a special rate for siblings. I understand that the parent doesn't make twice as much money just because they have two kids but at the same time they have to realize that my costs don't change because the kids are siblings. When I turn it around and say well will you be ok with me making one sandwich and sharing it between the two of them or giving them one piece of paper and asking both of them to colour on it.....etc. Then just say my expenses don't change and sorry but you are taking up two spaces and I need to be paid for two spaces. And besides when you think about it if that family leaves care it leaves an even bigger hole in the budget because it is two spaces too. Parents have to shop for bargains for just about everything and I get that.

kimbercare
09-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Bet they wouldn't ask their nail salon to take less money for services rendered. I tell them that it wouldn't be fair to the parents already in care or that I am not a garage sale.

mom-in-alberta
09-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Some parents are always looking for the better deal, and it comes down to price with them. The others are right, you don't want them. Although I understand that some have tight budgets, if they are haggling with you over reasonable rates for your area.... forget about it!
Some might just be questioning, or curious. It can't hurt to ask, I suppose. If anyone questioned what I charge (and I know it's on par, or on the lower end, for my area); I would simply and matter of factly explain that my rates are set and I don't negotiate. If I was you, I would absolutely remind them of your whole food/ organic policy, etc.
They either agree to my pricing, or not. Their choice.

Kim
09-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am currently in a situation where I allowed my price to be negotiable along with a couple of other aspects of my contract. I did this because I wanted to start my client base. I regret doing this because now I feel extremely frustrated.:mad: I now have 3 families giving me a total of 4 children. I am also not paid for stat holidays or for when parents decide to stay home with their children if they decide to take a day off or during their holidays. Today one of my parents did not want to pay me for a day this week because she decided at the last min to spend the day with her child. A half hour before she had told me she was bringing him and then called me back to say she decided to spend the day with him. I told her that I was prepared for him as I am everyday and that it was too short notice not to pay me. I said it is difficult for me to budget for my expenses when my pay changes at short notice. So she paid me for that day.
The sad part is that in my contract I have these things spelled out.:(
Now I want to change this and stick to my actual contract. How do I g o about this? I am thinking of making this change effective Jan 1,2012. Do I send home a letter about a month before, stating I need to meet with them (individually) about changes to my contract?. At our meeting I would bring out my contract and tell them that the terms of my contract are now in force and have them sign off on it.
I am not sure how they will take it. Any new parents I meet with (had 2 interviews this week) I will NOT negociate anything in my contract or with my prices. I have learned my lesson!. I will use the examples of what to say that are in this thread for potential clients who try to negociate. As a matter of fact I will use them when I meet with my current clients.

Emilys4Guppies
09-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Do it now!
Print off a copy of your contract for all your clients. Tell them that you have decided to use a contract to lay out clear expectations of both yourself and the parents. Tell them that this is a way to encourage good communication so that misunderstandings are at a minimum and you can focus on providing excellent care for their children.
Tell them that they have 2 weeks to consider your contract and return it signed. If they do not wish to sign the contract then those two weeks will be considered their 'two weeks notice' to find other care.
Make your business what you want it to be! One of the families might walk, but I'm sure they all won't when they realize that a contract protects them too. Spin to be a positive for them and they'll be glad to sign.

fruitloop
09-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I agree with Emily, do it now. Revise your contract to include everything you want in there and then tell the parents that a new contract is being sent home for them to read, sign and return. Tell them that in order to run a successful day home and to lat out clear expectations of both yourself and the parents this contract needs to be followed...and then YOU need to enforce it! If you're not going to enforce your contract, they won't take you or your contract seriously. In your contract, you need to do set rates. They're paying for a spot, not the time they spend there and you need to start charging for stats (this would come with charging a set rate). Your time and service is valuable, you need to be paid for it!

mom-in-alberta
09-10-2011, 04:20 PM
No time like the present. January is too long to wait, especially if you aren't really changing anything, simply enforcing things that you have let slide so far.
I agree that you should re-assess your paperwork, make any necessary changes and send home a new copy with each family. If need be, highlight any areas that you have concerns about so that you know that they will notice. Let them know that they have a certain length of time to read and review, then return a signed agreement. Should you not have it in your hands by a specific day, consider that notice and begin advertising.
Your business needs to be run in a way that works for you, not just is convenient for parents. How would they feel if their boss said "Nah, we're shutting down today, so no paycheque for you."?? I have begun explaining to parents that their fee pays for a "spot" in my daycare, to ensure that thier child has a safe and secure place to come WHEN THEY NEED IT. I have tried to get them to stop seeing it as "I've paid for those hours/days". (Although if you work it out, really they don't pay that much hourly, you know??)
Don't stress too much about it, we've all made concessions as we get started that we later regret. In the beginning, it's so important to fill those spaces that you forget that you are stuck in that situation indefinitely! If someone walks, then at least you know you are replacing them with a better scenario for you. Good luck.

Kim
09-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice! I don't feel so alone now. I will actually add some of your sentences when I revise my contract so that everything is clear. Should I meet with them and go over the contract with them ? This way there are no misunderstandings. Do you meet with your parents and go over the contract with them when you initally sign them on ? I have just sent home the contract with them and had them return me the portion that needs signing saying that they have read and agree to the terms of the contract.

Play and Learn
09-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Should I meet with them and go over the contract with them ? This way there are no misunderstandings. Do you meet with your parents and go over the contract with them when you initally sign them on ?

I have them come to me (after hours) to sign the contract - I also get them to sign the manual as well. This way, I am going over everything with them, word for word - so if the parents don't understand it, they can ask! Then parents can't go to you and say, "I didn't know that". Well, you did, cause we went over it all together.

I NEVER let them go home with the contract, until both parties have signed.

What I do: Have the parents and child over for 1 or 2 interviews, then the 3rd time, I have them over with the 2-week non-refundable deposit, then to look over the manual, have them sign that, then look over the contract, and have them sign that. If they would like a copy, we fill out another one word for word. I keep the Originals. If they don't bring me the deposit during this interview/signing on process, I don't get them to sign anything....