PDA

View Full Version : Easter Monday pay

Samantha33
04-21-2014, 07:24 PM
This is he first EAster Monday I take off. I'm wondering if I should charge and would I have a hard time collecting from the parents if I charge. I checked the official website for Ontario Holidays and Easter Monday is listed for Government Employees.

Other Mummy
04-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Is it in your contract? We are not Government employees so I don't think that argument would hold much water. Do you have any paid personal days? If not, I can't imagine that clients would pay for a day that they could not use. Did you get paid for Good Friday?

5 Little Monkeys
04-21-2014, 07:57 PM
I have all stat days listed in my contract and parents know they are to pay for them at the discount of $10 less/day. I have 11 in my contract and those are the only ones I get paid for.

If you don't already have something like this in your contract, I would suggest adding it in for future reference. You own your own business so you can essentially take off whatever stat days you want but to be fair to your clients, they should know these days in advance.

bright sparks
04-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Easter Monday is not a stat holiday. It is a civic holiday so it is only paid off for government workers. I list my "paid days off" so it covers me for those days I require payment for that are not stat holidays.

5 Little Monkeys
04-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Good idea Bright Sparks! I just changed my contract to say stat and civic holidays to cover mine. Thanks!

Momof4
04-21-2014, 08:30 PM
I take Easter Monday and also Christmas Eve Day as paid days. They are not stats, but Family Day is not a stat for federal gvmt employees, however Remembrance Day is a holiday for them. So, I title my clearly listed CLOSED PAID DAYS in my contract and don't call them stats. Parents agree to this by signing onto my daycare. I remind them in my quarterly newsletters and never have any problems.

mickyc
04-21-2014, 09:25 PM
I have the days listed in my contract under Paid Days. I do not include Easter Monday in those days. There is school and most people work (except government workers) so I don't see the point in closing. It really isn't a holiday.

superfun
04-21-2014, 09:44 PM
It never occured to me to close since I'm home anyways, my daughter has to go to school that day. However, I found out that since I'm licensed through the province, I can close or stay open. If I choose to stay open I can pick a alternative day to close and still charge for the day and recieve any subsidies.

nschildcare
04-22-2014, 07:00 AM
I take it as a paid day off, too.

Wonderwiper
04-22-2014, 08:02 AM
I think if you want to take holidays you need to let parents know right at the start. You decide which holidays you want and if you require payment, however, I don't think it's appropriate to decide day of that you now want to be paid for that day.

I had yesterday off and it is listed in my contract as a paid day. I find it easiest to refer to these days as "paid days" instead of stat days.

mattsmom
04-22-2014, 08:30 AM
My dcp's do not pay for Easter Monday if I take it off. Every time it comes around, I always think of taking it off, but I have so many parents that need care that day, so I don't.

bright sparks
04-22-2014, 08:42 AM
I have the days listed in my contract under Paid Days. I do not include Easter Monday in those days. There is school and most people work (except government workers) so I don't see the point in closing. It really isn't a holiday.

It obviously depends on the province. In Ontario the schools, banks and government offices are closed. Also not for profits are usually closed too....the point of taking Easter Monday off is actually in observation of Easter Sunday, the same way you would if Xmas fell on a weekend...but for me the main purpose is for a paid 4 day weekend :D

Samantha33
04-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Really! So it's a civic, fantastic. I'm paid for Stats and Civics as long as it's a Civic I'm paid.

Samantha33
04-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Ummm, I just checked :( and I don't see it listed as a Civic or public holiday. Can anyone help.

Samantha33
04-22-2014, 12:32 PM
BTW I do have in my Contract Stats and Civics are paid days. I did take this Easter Monday off, first time ever. That's why I'm wondering if it's paid or not.

AcornsFalling
04-22-2014, 04:10 PM
In bc it isn't a stat or civic holiday. I didn't take it off as my families had to work. But my husband had it off, he is a government employee.

nschildcare
04-22-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm with Bright Sparks, I take it as a paid day off for the 4 day weekend. I don't know if my parents need care or not... the only one who complained this year was the ones who 'forgot'... after my 2 notes home and calendar of dates posting :rolleyes: