PDA

View Full Version : So, are you still babysitting?

mimi
04-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Good morning ladies! I will be going to a bridal shower soon which involves lots of in-law relatives who I haven't seen or spoken to in a long while.
I always get asked when I do see them the question in the title. I can't seem to come up with an answer that does not convey my annoyance at being called a babysitter when I have described in the past my program and activities we do.

So, I was wondering if you ladies have any suggestions on how you might answer this question with out seeming perturbed or defensive.

Thanks, the babysitter;):rolleye s::no:

Daisy123
04-28-2014, 09:38 AM
"Nope. I've been promoted. I'm now a small business owner providing quality child care services to my community." (Ok, that might come off a bit saucy but it's what I'd be thinking. :rolleyes: )

mickyc
04-28-2014, 09:44 AM
just reply "yes I am still running my own home daycare". if they want to call that babysitting then so be it.

Crayola kiddies
04-28-2014, 09:46 AM
You could say "I haven't babysat since I was a teenager but yes I am still running my home daycare"

Wonderwiper
04-28-2014, 09:52 AM
I agree with Mickyc. Unless they say it purposely trying to offend you don't let it bother you! You know what you do.

mimi
04-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Thank you ladies, the SIL's are a judgmental group so when I hear the question from them it makes me feel defensive which makes me mad at myself as I am very proud of my daycare and don't like my industry and colleagues called babysitters.
Daisy, I especially like "I've been promoted" and I think I will use that with a big smile.:D

CrazyEight
04-28-2014, 10:14 AM
I have the same problem, a baby shower in 2 weeks, and I'm already dreading it...keep the suggestions coming!

DCMG
04-28-2014, 10:36 AM
I would probably reply with just a "Yep" and then either walk away and talk to someone else, go grab a quick snack or use the bathroom and take a quick deep breath. Ignorance is bliss! I have a neighbour that asks me that every time they see me which is multiple times per week and I answer with "yep" and then turn away or keep on walking. I don't care that they understand the difference and don't care to try and explain to them the difference either.

Lou
04-28-2014, 11:29 AM
"Oh gosh no, I haven't babysat since I was 15 yrs old. I run a home daycare if that's what you mean"

5 Little Monkeys
04-28-2014, 01:52 PM
If they were saying it to be rude or condescending, I would set them straight. Politely of course lol

If they mean nothing by it, I answer their question but make a point to say "yes, I'm still running my own daycare" and would share the difference if they were interested to hear.

I think our career is still looked at by a lot of people who don't "get it" and don't understand the importance of our roles in child development. Anytime I can help inform them of this, I do. I think we all should if we want to be looked at with respect and be taken seriously.

PS. Happy ECE week!!! ( I think it's the same week everywhere?)

Secondtimearound
04-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Hmmm, if they are saying it to be b$tchy , I would prob just smile and gulp my wine !! If they were just innocently asking , I would explain .
I usually get a lot of sympathy because my mom , auntie, and their friends all "babysat" in their day !! So they understand !!! The younger ones are easily impressed by how I talk about my business and the rude ones I don't care to discuss myself with .

ECE53
04-28-2014, 06:50 PM
I always respond by saying " professionally I try to refrain
From sitting on children, it tends to be bad for business.".
I actually have a tshirt that says something like it. I bought it from THE ooey goey Lady... You can check out her website..

FunnyFarm
04-29-2014, 08:17 AM
ECE53, you took the words out of my mouth! LOL I was going to be facetious too by saying "I don't sit on babies, what kind of care giver would I be!" :D

Dreamalittledream
04-29-2014, 08:31 AM
I always respond by saying " professionally I try to refrain
From sitting on children, it tends to be bad for business.".
I actually have a tshirt that says something like it. I bought it from THE ooey goey Lady... You can check out her website..
I love it!!! Now...if I can actually remember it when I need it (I'm notoriously bad at messing up jokes too!).

SLD
04-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Since you know they are being rude I would simply reply with "No." If they ask what you are doing now, tell them you are running a home based business providing child care.