PDA

View Full Version : After School Tutoring In My Home

D&E
04-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Hi there,

I'm going to be opening an after school tutoring company (in Ontario) that will run from my home in the fall. After some research, I'm having difficulty figuring out what regulations I would need to follow. If it is running from my home, do I need to follow the Day Nursery Act? I'm really just trying to figure out what the child-to-caregiver ratio would be in this case.

Any thoughts?

CrazyEight
04-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Interesting. I'm not sure exactly, but what ages are you looking at offering tutoring to? If you're looking at upper grades, ie, over 13, then I don't THINK you'd have to follow ratios...

D&E
04-30-2014, 10:30 AM
My husband and I are qualified to teach Kindergarten through Grade 12, so figured I'd just see what the demand is. I'm also thinking that students 13 and over don't count in ratios, but not sure about the others. Although, in my area, it seems as though the interest will be for students aged 7-11.

playfelt
04-30-2014, 11:19 AM
If you are tutoring that is usually a one on one thing so between the two of you having 5 kids in the house would be all you would have at any time isn't it.

One thing is that it could be only you and your husband doing it in the house. If you are going to have employees, etc. there are other rules that come into play including the fact that it is no longer a home daycare type of concept. It now becomes a commercial business and you would also need to be zoned accordingly.

D&E
04-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Typically it is one-to-one, however we are going to be doing small groups to make it more affordable for parents.

Good point about the zoning - thanks!