PDA

View Full Version : Annoying personality????

Wonderwiper
05-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Are some kids just naturally annoying, haha!

I have a 2 year old boy and he honestly is the most annoying little thing! I don't like using that word to describe a person but can't think of any other way to put it. He is constantly all over everyone. Has to touch whatever they are doing, hover right beside people etc. Even sitting for story time he tries to press up close to someone.

He is not rough or anything but I have begun to notice it seems like the other kids don't want to play with him.

No real point here....just pondering whether annoying adults started out that way!

mamaof4
05-01-2014, 10:49 AM
I could be a sensory thing. One of my kids a sensory seeker and it made me NUTS-- maybe google it and see if other things apply or steal some strategies.

Lee-Bee
05-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Yep. I think often it is a personality clash between the caregiver/adult and the 'annoying' child. Others may not be bothered as much but yes some kids are just really, really annoying. It's unfortunate, I do think that often they can be taught, even from a very young age to curb those behaviors that 'annoy' others and that by having parents and caregivers that try to teach them to be less "annoying' they will have a much, much better childhood and will do much better as adults. BUT, only so much can be done!

CrazyEight
05-01-2014, 11:10 AM
I agree, with this many kids in our care it would be a miracle if none of them ever had any habits that just annoyed us.

I just started a 3.5 yr old dcg who is extremely affectionate, to the point where it's already annoying the other kids and myself. She just needs to be touching someone, all the time. Hugs, multiple kisses, stroking my arm, insisting on holding hands with any adult she sees, it's bizarre. Last week we were walking to the school and passed by a friend of mine, and dcg immediately put her hands all over my friend's stomach and started almost massaging it, and asking if there is a baby in there. The problem is, there's not. It was crazy, you could have fried an egg on my face! My friend just laughed and took it very well, but it's going to be tough to break her of this. She's obviously never been told to keep her hands to herself.

I think (or I hope) that constant, gentle re-enforcement will hopefully make some difference. It's difficult when they're not technically doing something wrong, like hitting or stealing toys, etc.

mickyc
05-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Just like we find some adults annoying we will find certain children annoying. It is just human nature. I had a child in my care whose laugh made me cringe! lol

bright sparks
05-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Sounds like a sensory issue if it's that often. Try giving this child something to manipulate during story time as a start and see how he does. Also maybe see if you can get some carpet spots or squares...you could make them easy enough from dollar store stuff I imagine. Let the child know they have to stay on the spot and then space them out enough for all the kids so they have their personal space.

5 Little Monkeys
05-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Yup I agree with mickyc, some personalities annoy me! Being an adult though, I'm able to hide it from a child.....if it's another adult though?? That's a whole 'nother story!! Lol

Could be a sensory thing though. Try giving him some sensory stimulation and see how he does

Momof4
05-02-2014, 08:42 AM
One of my biggest shocks since I opened my home daycare was finding out that not all children are loveable and some are even hard to like. I had no idea! But then some people pointed out to me that we don't like all adults, so why should we expect to like all children? Personalities clash. It just seems to me that if we do our best to teach the children manners, socially acceptable behaviour, empathy for others, plus sharing and taking turns, we're doing our best to set these little people on the right road in life. But there are times when you do a happy dance when a child leaves your daycare and times when you are really going to miss that little person. I guess we just learn to do our jobs and do our best.

SnugglySpot1986
06-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Hey there other Members!

I have recently opened up a dayhome in Calgary, Ab in October of last year. I have only had 4 children in my care, but i definitly find that there are some personalities i clash with through this time. I love all my kids, because i see the beauty in being a child, however there is only so far i can be pushed.
I have one child who is 5 (female) and she seems to be the most difficult. Everyday, i pick her up from preschool, down our street, and everyday without a doubt, she asks me " what are we doing today". In my mind i feel like i have set her up to have high expectations, as she is my eldest child. I also have two others in my care, 2 boys that are 3 years, and a little girl who is almost 2years. I have always tried to keep the kids as busy as possible with feild trips, park outtings, crafts, and playdates. I get very annoyed when i hear the question everyday, without any consideration of the other children in my care. I also have to mention that i am expecting my second child at the begining of July 2014. So i will have 2 children under 2 years to care for everyday on top of my dayhome children. I feel tired all the time, so i have let the activities slide a bit, not as many outtings, but we still do 2 playdates a week, and activities within the house, and in the backyard. I am overwhelmed by the insesent questioning from my 5 year old. I am trying to not let it bother me, but for some reason it still does. Helpful hints, or tips on how to deal with her attitude problem would be greatfully accepted.

AmandaKDT
06-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Hey there other Members!

I have recently opened up a dayhome in Calgary, Ab in October of last year. I have only had 4 children in my care, but i definitly find that there are some personalities i clash with through this time. I love all my kids, because i see the beauty in being a child, however there is only so far i can be pushed.
I have one child who is 5 (female) and she seems to be the most difficult. Everyday, i pick her up from preschool, down our street, and everyday without a doubt, she asks me " what are we doing today". In my mind i feel like i have set her up to have high expectations, as she is my eldest child. I also have two others in my care, 2 boys that are 3 years, and a little girl who is almost 2years. I have always tried to keep the kids as busy as possible with feild trips, park outtings, crafts, and playdates. I get very annoyed when i hear the question everyday, without any consideration of the other children in my care. I also have to mention that i am expecting my second child at the begining of July 2014. So i will have 2 children under 2 years to care for everyday on top of my dayhome children. I feel tired all the time, so i have let the activities slide a bit, not as many outtings, but we still do 2 playdates a week, and activities within the house, and in the backyard. I am overwhelmed by the insesent questioning from my 5 year old. I am trying to not let it bother me, but for some reason it still does. Helpful hints, or tips on how to deal with her attitude problem would be greatfully accepted.

I would just be honest with her and tell her that we are just going to be playing with toys/playing outside everyday now because of the baby coming and that you don't feel well. If she is 5 years old then she is old enough to understand this. I have kids this age in my daycare and I find just telling the simple honest truth is best. She will probably keep asking, but young kids aren't necessarily the most considerate people, they aren't going to be worried about the fact that you have other younger kids to care for as well.

I don't usually do any special activities with my daycare kids that go to school, it is almost always just free play inside or outside, with some colouring books or other simple activities thrown in there. I usually save my planned activities and field trips for the kids that are with me all day. I know it is difficult having patience when you are tired and pregnant, I've been there!!