PDA

View Full Version : Lunch prep & clean up timing

mlc1982
09-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Just curious ...How long does it take you to prep lunch and then clean up? How much total time do you spend doing those tasks?

playfelt
09-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Depends on what I am serving. Grilled cheese is less than 15 mintues start to table. Some other things need to boil for 20 minutes before I can start assembly. I get those kinds of meals started, then ask them to clean up our upstairs play area and then put things like puzzles or books or sorting type toys on the table. In between stirring I take each potty or do diaper. While they eat I empty dishwasher from night before and load what has collected in the sink. I then add lunch as I can and decide if I turn it on or wait depending on what we are having for supper.

zen39
09-13-2011, 07:31 PM
I agree with playfelt, prep time is usually 15 minutes. Often, I'll be reheating already prepared meals or making something quickly in the frypan like grilled cheese. Clean-up time, I do while the children are eating their lunch.

Sandbox Sally
09-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Yup, me too! 15 min is my max though. If it takes longer than that, I don't serve it. Here, lunch often consists of whatever my family had for dinner the night before - I just make extra for dck's. I also do most of my cleanup while the kids are eating, and by the time they're done and ready for diapers and nap, I am OFF DUTY! :)

sunnydays
09-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I am about the same for prep time as it is usually made the night before and just has to be reheated (often actually it's about 5 minutes). However, my clean-up takes a lot longer :( I don't know where I'm going wrong, but it takes me a good 30 minutes (sometimes more) after the kids are sleeping to clean up the kitchen. I guess it's because a lot of things don't get washed properly in the dishwasher (plastic cups and bowls etc) so I have to do them by hand.

mlc1982
09-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Kangaroomama - clean up seems to be my problem too, that's why I wondered how long it took other people. I do a lot by hand but also do a lot by dishwasher. It just seems to take forever to clean and i hate it! I try to do it while the kids are eating but that never seems to work. And I guess having leftovers every day would make prep time SO much easier. I always say I'm going to make more dinner but it never happens ...or DH just ends up eating more if it's there!

mom-in-alberta
09-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I would say between 15-20 min average. Anything longer, doesn't get made around here, because the kids get antsy.
I do clean up while they are finishing as well, because that way, as the others have mentioned; after lunch is diapers, nap and I am free to eat my lunch and have MY time. LoL
I think the only way to cut down on clean up time is to make sure you have an empty dishwasher for the things that can go in, and a sinkful of soapy water to wash the kids dishes as you go. Sorry, no other advice, unless you want to start using paper plates, hahahaha.

sunnydays
09-14-2011, 08:37 PM
I think it also depends on what you serve and the ages of the kids. I tend to serve a lot of messy things like pasta, rice, cous cous, etc and although I know sandwiches are a whole lot less messy, I feel it is worth the mess. Then there is the age factor...my kids are almost all under two so they are very messy eaters...everything ends up on the floor and in the booster seats. Plus, it is hard to do any cleaning while the eat because somebody always needs something and I need to monitor them more closely to make sure they are not throwing food, stealing food, dumping water, etc etc.

mlc1982
09-15-2011, 12:46 AM
unless you want to start using paper plates, hahahaha.

I've actually contemplated doing this to save some time!

playfelt
09-15-2011, 07:48 AM
I leave the messy foods for the parents to do so the kids can go from table to bath - no spagetti on the head here. I do a lot of finger foods like pasta but nothing smaller unless all use spoons. I keep them in highchairs as long as they are just learning then they move to the kid table. I use trays to put their food on - got them from the dollar store. And mine stay on cups with lids the whole time they are with me so no spilled drinks. Consider putting a cotton sheet under the chairs to catch foods and then shake it out the door after the meal and toss in the laundry as needed. I find the plastic does fine in the dishwasher if I rinse it off and make sure it isn't overloaded ie everythign is facing down to the water stream so am more likely to load and turn on the dishwasher than handwash. Major kitchen cleaning is more likely to be after our own dinner when I clean up ready to start for the next day.

Sergeants Mom
12-12-2011, 07:00 PM
I have found that what works best for me is to clear off the table once everyone is finished eating and bring out the Play-Doh. My kitchen is very open, with an island (where the sink is) which overlooks my kitchen table. I set the children up w/ the Play-Doh and then I can get my dishes and kitchen cleaned up & once I am finished then I join them.

sunnydays
12-12-2011, 07:49 PM
I just switched from a table with booster seats to just booster seats with trays and no table and I have to say it has made a huge difference! Less food falls on the floor, the trays are easy to take off and wash immediately as each child finishes, there is no more pushing the table, grabbing each others drinks, etc. It is also so much easier to sweep and mop the floor. One other trick I have found recently is that when each child is finished, I give them their own face cloth and let them clean their hands and face while I wash trays etc. It buys me a bit of time as they love washing their own faces (and usually sucking on the cloth...lol). I have a different colour cloth for each child, so I don't have to worry about getting mixed up (same goes for cups). Playdough wouldn't work for me because I have to watch them to make sure they don't eat it (they are all 2 and under).

Spixie33
12-12-2011, 08:04 PM
I also try to reheat food that I cooked the night before so usually it should take me about 10 minutes to heat the food and dish it out. Sometimes it can be a bit lengthy because I might be fishing certain vegetables out of some plate and adding it to another plate based on what the kids like. I.e if one kid doesn't like corn then I try to make the plate as corn free as possible for that child so they don't immediately refuse to eat.

The clean up is probably about 10-15 minutes and it is usually a disaster. the table is usually full of rice or food and same with the boosters and floor. I try to do a good cleaning of the table, throw the scraps etc but I usually leave the floor for a good vacuum and mop at night depending on how bad it is. I pick up only LARGE items during lunch cleanup.

I have plastic bowls for all the kids and I have enough to get me through snacks and lunch. Everything goes through the dishwasher on the sanitize setting so I usually just have to give the plates a quick rinse and put them in the dishwasher and forget it.

I usually do not clean up lunch until I have the kids in bed - therefore it does tend to cut into my 'breathing' time.:unsure:

DaycareLulu
12-12-2011, 09:03 PM
I have resorted to paper plates but I use the really thin ones that can be composted from Dollaramma. That way I don't feel to guilty about the environment, plus I feel it isn't to much of a waste of money since I am not using any water,electricity or detergent to clean them in the dishwasher. I am then able through all of their leftovers and the plate straight into the compost which is picked up on the end of the driveway every week. I also use a wet mop or a wet jet to to mop the floor and push all the little bits of wet food like pasta or scrambled egg at the same time into corner where I can scoop them up and put them into the compost too. That way I am not sweeping first and then mopping. It kills two birds with one stone!