PDA

View Full Version : Eenie, meenie - who should go ?

Monday 2 Friday Mama
05-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Good Friday morning everybody, :) I wanted to get some feedback (constructive) from other provider's about a position that I am in. Recently, two spaces became available (on very short notice) in my home daycare. The Mum lost her job, and in addition to withdrawing her daughter from my care, she has also had to back out of our new agreement (I was going to care for her youngest one when she went back to work after mat leave) :no: *Huge sigh here* BUT I get it - these things happen, it's no one's fault - back I go to advertising, and interviewing with new families. So, I have this one family who said "Yes" that I just don't have a good "feel" about. Mum is currently on mat leave (her daughter would start up in August) and has no intention of returning to her previous job. She totally hated it. However, she does not have a "new" job lined up. She's prepared to sign my contract, and she's paying the deposit in cash. My problem ? I'm worried that I'm going to get a note in July/August saying something to the effect of "Gee - I still haven't been able to find work, so I guess Johny won't be coming to daycare" The space is already going to be empty for four months - which costs me a few thousand dollars - I really don't want to start looking for a new family in August - who will likely be looking to start care in November/December and have lost close to eight or nine grand. So here's what I'm doing - and what I would like your feedback on: I'm meeting with three other families this weekend. Hopefully one of them likes me and my program and chooses me as their child's caregiver. If they do, and assuming that they have a more "normal" situation (i.e. they know which position/employer they are returning to) who would you choose ? I have never done something like this before, but let's just say that this isn't my first rodeo, and while I don't like the idea of toying with parents I like the idea of me being left to swing in the breeze financially even less. :p Provided that I give the rejected family ample time to find another caregiver, and I wouldn't cash anyone's deposit cheque until I'm sure of which one I'm going with, is this a truly terrible thing to do or a necessary part of looking out for my own best interests ?

Teagansmom
05-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Honestly just let them know that you have already set up other interviews for the spot and you would like to honour them and you will choose which child you feel will best suit your program. I think often times we as providers forget we also have a choice and sometimes some of us feel guilty about this.

Crayola kiddies
05-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Just say you haven't finished all your interviews yet and once completed you will let them know if they have been selected

nschildcare
05-02-2014, 10:55 AM
I feel you. I would be uneasy about holding a spot for that long in that situation, as well.

What I have started doing after interviews is handing everyone an application form. I tell them that it is not a contract, it is not binding, but it will let me know if they are interested in the spot. I tell them that I am still conducting interviews and if they are interested, they should return the sheet by such and such a date. I give myself 48 hours to make a decision, so tell them when I will expect to make a decision, at which point they get a registration packet and need to make a deposit to guarantee their spot.

This gives me a chance to do my interview, meet the child and parents, get their hours/needs etc, let them know my policies (and gauge their reactions) and then I can decide who best fits.

As a side note: I won't interview parents that don't have jobs yet. I just tell them that I don't know if I will be able to accomodate their needs because they don't know what they are yet. I always want to know hours, days of care needed per week, etc before so I know if I am willing to work those hours or if their child will fit into our schedule.

I would maybe tell this mom that you are still conducting interviews and will let her know by such and such a date whether or not you have a place for her child. Better that than taking her money and having to refund it.

playfelt
05-02-2014, 11:10 AM
It also comes down to a practical reasoning in that if mom doesn't have a job you don't know what her hours will be and therefore don't even know if she will fit in. If you find someone that is a good fit then I would just let the mom know and use the uncertainty of the situation as a reason explaining that if she signs the contract and still doesn't have a job that she would be required to start paying the daycare fee anyways so this way you are potentially saving her money too. Encourage her to contact you down the road when she finds a job as things change constantly in daycare.

mickyc
05-02-2014, 11:28 AM
I do not hold spots and in this situation I would not hold it for this mom either. I would tell her that she will be put on your waiting list and if the spot is still available when she needs it that you will contact her then. I have someone interested in my spot that is open next week. I don't have my paperwork back signed or my deposit cheque yet so I have another meeting set up for tonight. If tonight's interview is a good fit as well and is willing to pay starting next week and have cheque in hand then the other family will be SOL. I do not take a cut in wage for anyone.

sandylynn
06-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Actually what I do if someone wants a spot that is 2 to 3 months away...I ask for a 2 week deposit (full time rate)....to hold the position for them....this money is NONREFUNDABLE AND DOES NOT GO TOWARDS ANY OF THEIR DAYCARE...IT is simply to hold the spot and not give it to anyone else.if they change their mind....money is MINE...

Busy ECE mommy
06-17-2014, 10:19 AM
I ask for a non refundable deposit and holding fees for holding spots more than a month.
How can you have contracted hours with a family if you don't even know what their needs are?
Sounds a little shady to me. I wouldn't take a client who doesn't have a job yet.
Keep advertising/interviewing.

Secondtimearound
06-17-2014, 02:37 PM
I agree with play felt , there's no way of knowing if her new job hours will even work with yours . Unless you told them the spot is theirs , I would keep trying to fill the spot . I have held a spot ( I was a newbie ) because dcm job was starting and it turned into 2 months then oops only needed part time then full time and then they were gone .
Do absolutely what you feel comfortable doing ,this is your business .