PDA

View Full Version : Big Oops...

AcornsFalling
05-02-2014, 03:46 PM
This morning dc mom met me at the park with 2 1/2yr dcb just as we were getting out of the van. Mom said bye and all was well. I told dcb to stand beside the van holding on to the stroller while I got the other little guys out, this is our usual routine and dcb has always listened well.

I guess he was excited that his mom was there because while my back was turned to him he ran back to mom's car (she was already inside) behind 1 other parked car! Thankfully she saw him and did not start backing up!! I called him back right away and he came but geez that was close! Mom didn't look too pleased when she drove away. I know I'd be shaking my head if I was her!! No one was hurt but I feel terrible as it could have been bad! I texted mom later on to apologize, I am hoping she will take it in stride and not question my ability to manage the kids :( I know these things happen but it freaked me out. I should have had him closer to me so I could grab him when he tried to run but he is usually very good to stay put! I am always very careful to manage the children especially in parking lots and am kicking myself over this one! Never had anything like this happen before.

My husband says I shouldn't say anything more about it and not overblow the issue. I agree with him but am worried about pick up time.
Ahhh!

Momof4
05-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Ok wow, yeah, that was a bad one. I have to agree with your husband that you apologized, learned a lesson, will be more careful from now on and just let it go. Did the Mom mention anything at pickup?

daisy
05-02-2014, 05:44 PM
I agree - one of those awful Oops's! They happen, not only to caregiver's but to parents; it's tough. We are held to a higher standard (as we should be) and when we fall, it is a much, much farther drop.
I agree with your husband & mo4, let it go and learn from it. Next time a drop-off like that happens, hold little Johnny's hand until mom has gone and he won't surprise all of the adults by running towards her car.
How was she at pick-up?

5 Little Monkeys
05-02-2014, 08:43 PM
I agree with both ladies. It was definitely an oops but learn from it and take precautions in the future to avoid this situation again. Be thankful nothing bad happened!!

AcornsFalling
05-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks everyone! Thankfully Dad came to the door at pickup and Mom stayed in the car, she did call out to me saying "have a good weekend," so hopefully that will be the end of it.
Lesson learned!

playfelt
05-04-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm sure she realized that it would not be the norm for her child either that it was just because she was there and well she could have been just as angry at her own child for not obeying your rules more so than at you since really once a child lets go not much we can do to stop it.