PDA

View Full Version : Need some perspective: too many red flags?

CrazyEight
05-04-2014, 08:47 PM
I need some fresh perspective...should I even consider meeting this family??

I currently have one spot open, although may have 2 or possibly 3 coming open soon, but that's another story. The point is, I'd really like to fill it ASAP.

All of my families currently pick up by 5pm. I'd like to keep it that way if at all possible.

I got an email enquiry from what turns out to be a stepdad, looking for daycare for his fiancée's 3.5-year-old. His first email was vague and short: just asking if I still have a spot and asking "what other info I need," no mention of the age of child, hours/days needed, rates, nothing. I emailed back saying yes, I have a spot, and asking all the obvious questions.

He responds telling me the age, they need fulltime, pickups by 5pm, and asks if the girl CAN START ON THURSDAY. Without meeting me, discussing fees AT ALL, nothing. He also said he doesn't know what school she'll be going to yet (she starts in the fall) even though I can only do pickups/drop-offs to 2 schools. I explained how the city is very strict on catchment areas, and where you go depends on where you live, you cannot pick and choose your school. I want to know if I'll have this child beyond the summer or not.

So, I then say that I would need to set up an interview with all of them, and I emphasize how I need to meet them, show them my daycare space, and GO OVER MY CONTRACT, so that they know I'm serious. I also give my rates, which he had yet to ask about. I reiterate that I close by 5pm, and a few other important things - my holidays this summer, my nut-free home, etc.

He just emailed back saying "everything sounds perfect," and saying that his fiancée is "moving to the city" this week so they want to meet on Wednesday.

Should I even consider meeting them?? There are so many flags...I looked them up on facebook and they both appear very young. Now, I hate to judge people based on age, because I myself am only 28, I appear much younger, and my own kids were born when I was 22, 23 and 26, so I really get looks and assumptions from strangers about my ability to parent my own children. I don't want to judge them or assume they'll be poor clients just because of their age. But wanting to just send the child, having not even met me? Are you serious?

I also realize that this is a young stepdad, who probably doesn't really get it. She's obviously asked him to sort out daycare for some reason, so he's trying to do that, and not really realizing that this is NOT how you go about finding quality care. Should I give him the benefit of the doubt and meet with them and decide then?

He never got back to me about the school question, so I still don't know if I would even get the child past the summer. It seems overkill to question him about it again, as they either don't know where they'll be living, or don't know how long they'll be there. Furthermore, if she's just moving here, how can I trust the hours they have said? I don't even know if she has a job or not.

It sounds very vague and makes me uneasy. That being said, I don't want to judge a book by it's cover and write them off, particularly because he's probably a bit clueless as to what a professional childcare provider requires.

Thoughts? Meet with them and see, or walk away?

nschildcare
05-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Ordinarily I would write it off and not waste my time. I would feel uneasy about meeting Wednesday with girl potentially starting on Thursday. That doesn't give either or you much time to digest an interview and meeting.

However, in this case, maybe it really is a short notice move, in which case they would be rushed to get going. Although it seems more likely that it is stepdad's first time having to organize this and he really is unaware he needs to have put more time into this process. That is the only thing that would cause me to rethink meeting with them.

If you are considering going ahead, I would maybe email them again, see if you can narrow down their place of employment and hours, where they live exactly (can you search to find what school they would attend?), and see if they can meet sooner than Wednesday. Or even tell them that while you can meet Wednesday, you will not be able to start their child until Monday. That will give you a few days to think about it.

playfelt
05-04-2014, 09:20 PM
My guess is the dad has no idea on anything parent related let alone daycare. It is possible they have been separated until she found a job in the city and now has a job, is moving and starting work and well care needs to start right away and she is out of town so he is left to do it.

Even if the school for Sept becomes an issue filling a spot right away and then having from now till Sept to refill it isn't such a bad thing to consider.

Yes potential for some issues but it will be because of lack of understanding and not from trying to do anything wrong I would think. Will definitely need some hand holding through the process but those can also be your best clients because they work with you.

Lee-Bee
05-05-2014, 01:14 PM
If you go ahead make sure you have a VERY clear exit. A written agreement on termination should you feel the need. All may go smoothly, maybe as the PP poster said the mom got a job and is suddenly moving and everything is just going fast.

BUT, maybe they met online and the guy has never met his "step child" and the child does not cope well with all this change. Now a days, who knows! The child is 3.5 so is at least older and can vocalize their thoughts and feelings an needs etc. But if they are moving and leaving old car and starting new car all in a matter of days the child may not adjust to well. I'd have to meet the mom, step dad and child and I'd have to get a really, really good vibe from them and they'd have to answer all questions perfectly for me to take this leap!

As I said, make sure you have an easy out and make sure they pay for care in advance so you don't get burned. In cash...a cheque will take 5 days to clear and you won't have the cheque until the day before care starts.

mickyc
05-05-2014, 01:20 PM
I say meet. You never know until you get to talk face to face with mom.

Secondtimearound
05-05-2014, 03:41 PM
I say meet too !! I can not imagine leaving my husband in charge of finding a dayhome lol !!! Ive had really good young parents and really not good older parents lol , one never knows !!
I think the person that said to fill it because September was far enough away is right , lots if time to figure out !!
Good luck !!!