PDA

View Full Version : Just summer care ??

Secondtimearound
05-05-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm trying to fill two spots ( fingers crossed ! Had an awesome interview tonight ) but was reading some ads from parents needing summer care , I have read more than 2 ads that state they will pay $20 a day since it's only summer care !!! I mean isn't that a little weird ???

mickyc
05-05-2014, 09:14 PM
I had a summer spot available that I recently filled. I have been told by a few people who contacted me that they were looking for care around the $20 mark as well. I said Sorry - not flexible with my rate (and thought to myself "good luck with that" lol).

Yes a little weird.

superfun
05-05-2014, 09:42 PM
That's weird. I don't understand why parents expect a discounted rate, just because they don't need it long term?

CrazyEight
05-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Maybe because the child is older and they think the child won't be "as much work" as a baby or toddler? I don't agree with that thinking - a spot is a spot, and frankly, I find a lot of older kids much more difficult than little ones - but I've seen ads saying something similar, and I have a casual dck who is 7 and mom has dropped numerous hints that she shouldn't be paying as much as a younger child because apparently 7 "so much easier" than a toddler.

Not saying they are justified at ALL, just thinking that could be how they are thinking.

I would consider filling a spot just for the summer, but not at a lower rate than normal...my regular rate is still cheaper than summer camps!

5 Little Monkeys
05-06-2014, 08:03 AM
When I first started, I had a couple children with older siblings who would sometimes come if needed and I had room. I used to charge $10 less a day (which worked out to $20 in my case). Centres around here charge around $15 for full day school agers. IME, the older kids (as in 5+) are a big help around here and they like to help out and feel important. They were both older boys and they were so good with the younger kids, it was actually easier when they were here because they loved to entertain the younger ones so I got a break. I always told their moms that their older boys were going to be great babysitters!!

I only have one child now with an older sibling and mom did ask if I could take her for the summer but unfortunately, I don't have a spot available.

bright sparks
05-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Summer camps in my area are a minimum of $160 a week which is still very rare. More typically $180-$200 and that's without extended care so 830-4. Where are you Secondtimearound for them to think $20 is an adequate amount? My daily rate is $45 and summer camps are cheaper than homedaycare in most areas in Ontario. Older kids get bored easier I think and need programming to keep them entertained which costs money. They also generally have HUGE appetites so for $20 a day you would be lucky if it didn't cost you to have them at your place.

AmandaKDT
05-06-2014, 08:14 AM
When I first started, I had a couple children with older siblings who would sometimes come if needed and I had room. I used to charge $10 less a day (which worked out to $20 in my case). Centres around here charge around $15 for full day school agers. IME, the older kids (as in 5+) are a big help around here and they like to help out and feel important. They were both older boys and they were so good with the younger kids, it was actually easier when they were here because they loved to entertain the younger ones so I got a break. I always told their moms that their older boys were going to be great babysitters!!

I only have one child now with an older sibling and mom did ask if I could take her for the summer but unfortunately, I don't have a spot available.

With being licensed and funded I charge the same as a daycare centre and the full date rate is the same for kids from 2 to 12 years old.

5 Little Monkeys
05-06-2014, 09:13 AM
With being licensed and funded I charge the same as a daycare centre and the full date rate is the same for kids from 2 to 12 years old.

Oh then it has changed! (Or my memory has failed....which is quite possible lol) thanks for the info! Will keep that in mind for future use :)

5 Little Monkeys
05-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Summer camps in my area are a minimum of $160 a week which is still very rare. More typically $180-$200 and that's without extended care so 830-4. Where are you Secondtimearound for them to think $20 is an adequate amount? My daily rate is $45 and summer camps are cheaper than homedaycare in most areas in Ontario. Older kids get bored easier I think and need programming to keep them entertained which costs money. They also generally have HUGE appetites so for $20 a day you would be lucky if it didn't cost you to have them at your place.

Depends where you live and what the cost of living is.

I agree that older kids typically get bored easier and it can be sometimes hard to entertain them when the majority of kids in hdc's are toddlers and infants. I lucked out and had great school aged kids...they all asked if they could always come here instead of their Y program lol. My 4 year old on the other hand just didn't fit in here with my younger crew!

Secondtimearound
05-06-2014, 11:42 AM
I would not accept $20 a day , I just wondered if anyone else had heard of this ! Lol it's like they just made up an amount !! I think older kids would have benefits for sure but I was kind of shocked at the price , $400 a month ?
I'm in Alberta , but I do not think that's the going rate as b/a care is $25 a day !!
Oh well , thankfully my interview went well and I start mid May !!
If I could find someone needing Monday and Tuesday only I would be full !!!

5 Little Monkeys
05-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Ya, if $25 is the b/a price than for sure the daily rate needs to be more than that!

Glad the interview went well! :)

bright sparks
05-06-2014, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=5 Little Monkeys;64899]Depends where you live and what the cost of living is.[QUOTE]

Exactly, that is why I specifically referred to Ontario. Are you telling me that summer camps in Manitoba run at $100 a week for an average of 40 hours a week?

Secondtimearound
05-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Thank you !!! I think I felt insecure as the dcf I termed acted like it didn't matter they were leaving ! I have been told my dayhome set up is excellent , I offer interesting crafts and unit studies and really plan nutritious meals and snack !!! I was charging her less due to her circumstances and dealt with her sick kids continually !
And 2 sick days ended it ? Everyone else was so nice and had no issue !! Even told me I was so worth it �� , so I was kind of shocked when the one I "helped out " had a problem !!
But last night went really good and I'm feeling better about it !!!

superfun
05-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Yes, our ymca program is 75 - 125 per week for summer camps. My oldest daughter picked the fairy themed camp, which is lucky for me. That one is a short week with the holiday in it, so it was only 75. I think the full weeks are 100 to 125. That is without the extended care though. I think this one is 8-4:30, and if you need earlier, you pay a bit more.

5 Little Monkeys
05-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Thank you !!! I think I felt insecure as the dcf I termed acted like it didn't matter they were leaving ! I have been told my dayhome set up is excellent , I offer interesting crafts and unit studies and really plan nutritious meals and snack !!! I was charging her less due to her circumstances and dealt with her sick kids continually !
And 2 sick days ended it ? Everyone else was so nice and had no issue !! Even told me I was so worth it �� , so I was kind of shocked when the one I "helped out " had a problem !!
But last night went really good and I'm feeling better about it !!!

Sounds like you run a great hdc and it's the parents loss! Some people react funny to rejection and try to act like it doesn't bother them when in fact it does.

superfun
05-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Exactly, that is why I specifically referred to Ontario. Are you telling me that summer camps in Manitoba run at $100 a week for an average of 40 hours a week?

I actually would really like to see some of the parents in this town move to Ontario and try to find daycare. The way some of the people around here complain about the cost of childcare, when it's actually quite affordable, is pretty funny. The average in this area is $18 - $35 per day.

madmom
05-06-2014, 01:37 PM
I do not like to take older kids now, first of all they eat more than I do most of the time and quiet time in the afternoons is really hard for them. I still have my regular daycare all day so I just find it too hard to deal with kids that need to be busy all day with no down time. That's what summer day camps are for.

Secondtimearound
05-06-2014, 03:24 PM
I actually would really like to see some of the parents in this town move to Ontario and try to find daycare. The way some of the people around here complain about the cost of childcare, when it's actually quite affordable, is pretty funny. The average in this area is $18 - $35 per day.

Me tooo !!!! And I would love to charge the going rate in Ontario too ! Lol

torontokids
05-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Yes, I don't know if I would/could do this job if I was making only $30 a day (I charge $60 per day). Of course if I lived somewhere where daycare was $30/day my house would probably cost a third of what I paid for mine and I would also have more space/backyard and maybe an en suite...oh to dream.

superfun
05-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Yes, I don't know if I would/could do this job if I was making only $30 a day (I charge $60 per day). Of course if I lived somewhere where daycare was $30/day my house would probably cost a third of what I paid for mine and I would also have more space/backyard and maybe an en suite...oh to dream.

I think that's probably true. I think the housing market in my area is wonderful. However, quite a few people think that it's over priced. Probably the same people complaining about the cost of childcare! Lol
I don't have an en suite and probably won't now, until we retire. But I do have a lot of space and a big yard, close to a good school.

bright sparks
05-07-2014, 10:48 AM
I think cost of living is always relative to wages though right? So if a family were to relocate from Manitoba to Ontario, the childcare costs wouldn't be higher comparatively because their wage would go up so it's not that childcare is more expensive in Ontario when you look at it like this. It's like the cost of childcare in Toronto being @ $60 a day on average, that's a reflection of the fact that peoples wages are generally higher in the city and property prices are also higher. I live in Niagara Region and while the wages are still not considered low, there is a high ratio of poverty in certain areas so this means that childcare is generally cheaper than say 20 minutes up the road in Burlington. Burlington wages are not higher than here in Niagara, but a lot of wealth is there. It is one of the most expensive cities in the country to live in so it commands a higher daily rate for childcare because people can afford it. In the south of the city near the lake where I used to live and do home daycare, the going rate now is $50-$55 on average. I think where ever you live, the average cost of childcare is relative to the area so that doesn't make Ontario more expensive. What about BC?? It is expensive to live there, but minimum wage is higher. My husbands job pays an additional $20 an hour out their but it's not better paying for him as the cost of living is so much higher than here.

I think just as there are people offering childcare at a much lower rate undercutting a lot of providers with their $25 a day childcare in areas 10-15 more a day generally, there are also people offering cheap summer care. I think maybe as more and more of these cheapy rates are coming up parents are finding the courage or having the nerve depending on how you look at things, to ask for a reduced rate. I am not digging at anyone who charges less than the average, so lets not go there lol :) A parent of an older child likely thinks an older child is easier because at home they spend their days in their rooms playing video games and watching tv. They don't understand that in offering a childcare service we are providing activities for all ages so they can be entertained, engaged and educated. If anything it is more expensive to accommodate an older child who will need more to keep them happy all day than a 2 year old, and it is much more work accommodating the needs of a providers regular early years group in addition to having a suitable program for the older children. Those with experience and their own children obviously know how to integrate the older kids into their regular activities to reduce the potential extra costs, but over an extended period of time, 9 weeks of summer, the majority of older children are going to be bored and under stimulated being a "daycare helper" for that many hours and that many weeks. It's kind of a disservice to them too. Oh and did I mention the food....anyone with older children of their own know first hand how much food a growing child/adolescent eats. Jeez, with my kids school doing a balanced day my two are famished when they get in.

bright sparks
05-07-2014, 10:50 AM

It's so true. I used to live in Burlington and when I moved to Niagara Region, I got double the lot size++ and an equally nice sized house for a good $300k less. You can't beat the city life though, I travel into TO at least 2 or 3 times a month just for fun. I love it :)

Secondtimearound
05-07-2014, 11:39 AM
I wish !!! Where I am it's 1 1/2 to the "cities"!!! I do my shopping there !! I used to live near Vancouver !!! Culture shock !!!
If I was going to do older kids I would still charge higher than $20 a day as food and entertaining them would def be different !!!
I would only have older kids and do outings for sure !!! I've had 4 school aged children at home !!! Boredom usually equals problems !!!
I would not mix ages and allow them to be jr helpers because they are not mature enough to make the best decisions with their actions around the little ones ! ( I've seen an innocent game of catch go bad fast !) and I wouldn't be comfortable as a mom with my own dd hanging out with older kids I don't know !!!

superfun
05-07-2014, 03:27 PM
If I was going to do older kids I would still charge higher than $20 a day as food and entertaining them would def be different !!!
I would only have older kids and do outings for sure !!! I've had 4 school aged children at home !!! Boredom usually equals problems !!!

I also find the older kids (mostly the older boys) are much harder on my toys and house, and I only have them on inservice days. I can't imagine how fast things would get worn out if I had older kids all summer.

5 Little Monkeys
05-07-2014, 05:52 PM
I agree....it's all relative to where we live. I actually think homes are over priced where we are because there are not a whole lot of high paying jobs near us. There are some higher paying ones within 1-2 hours though so if someone wanted to commute, there is that option. I don't think our area could take a big increase in childcare fee's either. I am at $32/day now and more and more people are commenting on that whereas when I was at $30/day very few, if any, complained.

No matter where we are though, I do think charging around the average is best. There will always be the ones on either end of the spectrum but that is okay too. I prefer to be on the higher end :p

In regard to childcare for school agers......I used to work in the school age dept at one of the centres and I really enjoyed it even though they were probably one of the hardest groups. They would get bored easy (I actually think they don't get bored, they are just so used to saying they are bored lol), the girls would be catty to each other, the boys were rough, they thought they were too cool for dc,they would back talk(to appear "cool") they could be rude etc etc but I enjoyed being able to do things with them that you can't with younger kids. I also enjoyed the 10-12 year stage as they are really starting to find them selves and it's very interesting to see them grow up to be nice, polite teens. It's harder to entertain them in a home setting with mixed ages but it can be done. I lucked out with the 2 boys I had in my hdc, they were fantastic in regard to playing with the children and wanting to help out (hand out the cups/plates, cleaning the table, reading them stories, pushing them on the swings) but it would have been a lot more difficult had they had the attitudes that I was used to seeing in centres. It also helped that these 2 were only dc friends and didn't see each other in school (went to diff ones) so they really liked coming here and playing with each other. If all school agers were like them, I would only take school agers lol. The biggest downfall to having schoolager's in my hdc was not having a naptime to myself LOL. Thankfully they were okay with playing video games or watching a movie or playing lego during this time.