PDA

View Full Version : How to switch from parent provide meals?

FS2011
09-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Hello, when I first started out I was set on a higher end rate because I'm licenses so parents already pay slightly higher to be here but they do provide meals. I want to switch so that I cook but there are a few things holding me back...
How much more will I need to raise the cost of care? Will parents be interested in my healthy food choices? The biggest challenge will be cooking, I don't have a stove down in my centre so we would need to go upstairs if the meal needed to be cooked. Where do I start, meal plans, shopping lists etc?

playfelt
09-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Our playroom is in the basement but we use the kitchen and bathroom upstairs. Parents come in and out from the main front door and then we go "down to play" once everyone is here.

Make sure you have a plan for what the kids will do upstairs while you make lunch such as coloring, books or puzzles at the table in the kitchen.

Another thing to consider is that you cook the night before and reheat meals downstairs using a microwave, toaster oven, crock pot, etc. You would be surprised how many things you could cook by creating a kitchen area that has just appliances. An electic skillet fries grilled cheese, eggs, etc. Even a two burner hotplate would allow boiling something.

What is making you want to switch to provider made meals if you don't have access to the kitchen which is why I am assuming you had them bring meals in the first place. If parents are sending things for you to heat in a microwave then that is what you would say is that time wise it is better for you to warm one large meal than several small ones. I assume you are providing the non cooked foods like fruit and drinks, snacks etc. If not that would be one place to star with the parent only providing the base lunch meal and you the extras. That won't cost that much so don't expect parents to be willing to pay more than a dollar or two a day for the service. If your rates are already higher than some of the other locations the parents may already be at their maximum meaning the only reason they can afford to be with you is because they provide the meals and dont' see the money outlay situation. To add this amount to the fee all they will see is more money owed not that they were really paying that much already.

FS2011
09-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Ya I guess I should have been more clear, parents provide everything right now...drinks, snack and lunch. The reason I'd like to switch is because the food I'm seeing is junk. One child is very obese at 2 and his parents send him with junk everyday and it makes me sad. I'd like to cook local and organic foods. My daughters also in care and I'm personally trying to keep her away from processed foods and junk but she sees it everyday in care and it's almost impossible. Is a $5 a day, $100 a month to much to ask these parents to stretch? I would then provide everything...drinks, 2snacks and lunch. How could I ask, send out a group email asking who would be interested in the switch?

sunnydays
09-14-2011, 12:20 PM
What is the norm in your area? Do other providers provide food? You would have to look at that and then what they are charging. In my area almost all caregivers provide all the food for the kids and the rates reflect that. The parents you have may not appreciate the $5 a day as they may be spending less on the junk food they are packing and obviously don't place importance on healthy food. You may actually spend more than $5 a day per child to provide organic, local foods (I applaude this decision by the way). I have a rule that no child should bring food to my daycare because I don't want them bringing junk and having my kids and the others in my care wanting some of it.

sunnydays
09-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Also want to add that what I do is cook the meal for my family and make extra the night before and then serve it for lunch for the daycare the next day so all I need to do is reheat it. I always serve something quick while I am heating and serving it, such as tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. That keeps them busy and allows me time to get the food into bowls/plates and on the table. I plan my meals a week in advance and send out the menu to the parents every Sunday. I include snacks on the menu, but do tell parents that teh snacks can change due to ripeness of fruit, etc.

FS2011
09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Rates in my area are low because there is so many sahm's doing daycare now. Craiglist is full of ads for licensed, registered and moms looking to start daycare. So compitition is huge which also worries me. They can go get care cheaper providing meals. I guess it can't hurt to ask my current parents what their opinions are on this?

horsegirl
09-14-2011, 01:00 PM
I tried cooking for the daycare children (I am licensed in B.C. and I have 7 children per day) when I first started over 15 years ago. I found out quickly how picky eaters they can be and changed back to parents bringing the food. It took me too long to cook different meals for everyone. I have had a parent that sent a lot of junk food and I discussed the issue with her and even gave her a copy of the Canada Food Guide. I also gave her a list of suggested lunches and snacks. Some parents just don't understand and need some guidance. If I had a problem after our discussion I would have suggested I make her child lunch and snacks and that she could pay me and extra $5.00 per day. Parents typically know what their child needs and likes for meals and they can tell how much they eat by what is sent back. This way they can make dinner accordingly and send extra or less food the next day.

mom-in-alberta
09-14-2011, 04:35 PM
I think that it doesn't hurt to get the parents' opinions on this. You could do up a quick questionnaire that asks if they like packing their own food (and why), whether they would be open to the provider supplying food (and why), what types of food they would like to see, would they be willing to pay extra and how much (give them a few options, don't leave that open to their interpretation), and so on....
Another option is to begin implementing a food guideline in your home. Send home a list of acceptable foods and unacceptable foods. Tell parents why this is being brought in (for the health of the children, and in fairness to everyone, etc). Let them know that should foods on the "no" list show up, you will be providing a suitable alternative, possibly at an added cost. Or you can give them the option; either you provide meals (with an extra fee attached) or they follow the guideline.