PDA

View Full Version : Extra day of care needed

mlc1982
09-14-2011, 12:09 AM
I have a 3 days per week dck who's mom asked if she could drop her off for an extra day next week. She has done this once before and because I hadn't really thought about a charge, I just told her $20.00. She didn't ask about the cost this time so I wonder if she just figures it's always $20.00. Her regular daily fee works out to be about $40.00 and I do have a drop-in rate in my contract of $50.00 for the day.
In this type of situation, would you just let it be at the $20.00 rate, charge her regular fee of $40.00 or do the drop in charge of $50.00? If I tell her the charge is more than last time, how exactly should I tell her? Do I just flat out tell her that I didn't put much thought into it before but have now developed a new policy for 'extra days?"

Gails
09-14-2011, 06:36 AM
I would tell her that you believed the extra day was a personal favour; you charge $50.00 for a day here or there, however since her child is with you 3 days a week you will only charge $40.00/ or stick with the drop in charge and leave it at that. Good luck, hard to cover all that could happen before it does, hindsight is certainly 20/20.... so many times I have walked right into this kind of thing...

playfelt
09-14-2011, 07:43 AM
My three day rate is higher than 3 times my daily rate that a full time child would pay. However for an extra day of care if I can do it I charge them 4 times the daily rate for the week so whatever that is over their 3 day rate is what they would pay. At most I would charge the regular 3 day rate plus 1/5 of your regular fulltime rate for the extra day.

mom-in-alberta
09-14-2011, 03:48 PM
I would probably let her know that if she does need extra days, the $20 was a one time favor and from here on out, they will be charged her usual fee of $40 daily. From both standpoints, I think it is a fair solution.

Skysue
09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
I would probably let her know that if she does need extra days, the $20 was a one time favor and from here on out, they will be charged her usual fee of $40 daily. From both standpoints, I think it is a fair solution.

Dido 100% agree! You were way too nice to charge 20 extra for the day as far as I'm concerned! A daily rate is a daily rate!

mlc1982
09-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Ya, I am going to tell her it's her regular daily rate. I providing the same service as every other day so why sell myself short?!