PDA

View Full Version : Switching to school age only

AmandaKDT
05-12-2014, 02:00 PM
My original daycare plan was to only do it until my youngest daughter started kindergarten, which is 3 years from now. But my mom came up with the bright idea of switching to providing only before & after school care at that time and then doing some other kind of job part time while everyone is at school. This would eleviate the problem and complication of finding before & after school care for my own girls.

But what to do for a second job? I was thinking of a job outside the home, but that would probably be difficult because I would have to be available for inservices and school holidays.

Has anyone else done this or have any ideas? I have a lot of education and skills.

superfun
05-12-2014, 02:03 PM
What about an education assistant? Or some other job that can be done part time in school. That way they don't need you on inservice days.

AmandaKDT
05-12-2014, 08:53 PM
What about an education assistant? Or some other job that can be done part time in school. That way they don't need you on inservice days.

I was thinking about working in a school. The ideal thing would be work at the school across from my home, but I probably wouldn't get that lucky! I am definitely going to keep that it mind.

5 Little Monkeys
05-12-2014, 09:04 PM
I'd apply for jobs that you think you would like. Let them know you're availability and go from there. You never know, you might luck out and get the hours you need! Good luck!

Daycare's, EA's, Group home care, Banks, School Secretary...those are ones that come to mind when I think of day shifts.

bright sparks
05-13-2014, 09:54 AM
I'd apply for jobs that you think you would like. Let them know you're availability and go from there. You never know, you might luck out and get the hours you need! Good luck!

Daycare's, EA's, Group home care, Banks, School Secretary...those are ones that come to mind when I think of day shifts.

Banks wouldn't be good hours at first. Usually the first one in gets the rubbish shifts and regular weekends. You have some time to really look into options which is great and I think working in the school would work hours wise but also look great to prospective families looking for care. Maybe you wouldn't need to work everyday either if you are full with B&A care and if you have a few older ones too then they wouldn't fall into your ratios. I would consider offering summer and school holiday care as a first come first served basis with a registration date for full weeks...more like a summer camp and even if you work in a school the staff usually have to be in school on PA days too depending on their position.

torontokids
05-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Aren't you a teacher? Couldn't you work as a sub?

AmandaKDT
05-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Aren't you a teacher? Couldn't you work as a sub?

I am a teacher, but it is very unlikely that I would be able to sub because of the hours. The time would overlap with the drop off and pick up of the kids before and after school, also would have to put in commute time to get to whatever school needs me. Subbing sucks too, I didn't really like doing it before.

AmandaKDT
05-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Banks wouldn't be good hours at first. Usually the first one in gets the rubbish shifts and regular weekends. You have some time to really look into options which is great and I think working in the school would work hours wise but also look great to prospective families looking for care. Maybe you wouldn't need to work everyday either if you are full with B&A care and if you have a few older ones too then they wouldn't fall into your ratios. I would consider offering summer and school holiday care as a first come first served basis with a registration date for full weeks...more like a summer camp and even if you work in a school the staff usually have to be in school on PA days too depending on their position.

I like the summer camp idea, I enjoy the older kids and like planning stuff for them - let's me do all the fun parts of being a teacher without having to do all the marking and paperwork.

Yes, I would have to see about the schedule for jobs within a school that are non-teacher. I don't remember whether the educational assistants or other non-teaching positions had to be there on inservice days.

dodge__driver11
05-13-2014, 01:12 PM
I am not sure about Man, but in SK we were not required to be at inservices, just staff meetings (If we were f/t, or half) Good luck! I was an EA :)

5 Little Monkeys
05-13-2014, 01:13 PM
My sil is an EA and she doesn't work any days that the children aren't there. She works 9-330 though so depending what school you are at, it could be tight with schedules unless you get a shorter shift.

AmandaKDT
05-13-2014, 01:27 PM
My sil is an EA and she doesn't work any days that the children aren't there. She works 9-330 though so depending what school you are at, it could be tight with schedules unless you get a shorter shift.

Yes, if I were to do that I would have to apply the ones with shorter shifts. There can be varying shift schedules based on the school's needs and the funding for students that need extra assistance.

5 Little Monkeys
05-13-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure if money is an issue but I know that she struggles even though her husband makes decent money. She's had to pick up a part time job and they are now a host family for Japanese exchange students to make extra money. She loves her job with the school division though and makes it work because she loves it so much.

dodge__driver11
05-13-2014, 01:36 PM
I like the idea of exchange, and if I had a bigger home I would so do this :)

5 Little Monkeys
05-13-2014, 02:56 PM
I like the idea of exchange, and if I had a bigger home I would so do this :)

I've considered it. My fiance and I aren't quite sure we would enjoy it though. We like the idea of it, introducing them to Canada and doing things with them but it's a lot of time and energy too....running them to extra curricular activities, friends, school etc. Plus we aren't too sure about having a stranger in our home for 10 months....what if you needed to fart or something?? LOL...yes, those are things that cross my mind!! haha

dodge__driver11
05-13-2014, 06:16 PM
LOL 5, hilarious.... I am so not cultured when kids aren't here I kinda turn into a cross between Homer Simpson and Al Bundy hahaaha

5 Little Monkeys
05-13-2014, 06:19 PM
hahaha, I hear ya!! My other half often looks at me in disbelief and asks "you were supposed to be a man weren't you?" LOL

AmandaKDT
05-14-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm not sure if money is an issue but I know that she struggles even though her husband makes decent money. She's had to pick up a part time job and they are now a host family for Japanese exchange students to make extra money. She loves her job with the school division though and makes it work because she loves it so much.

I have a really big student loan to pay off, so I definitely have to have a second job during the day. So that is why I was thinking of doing to combo of b & a care and another day job. We are doing just fine right now with the daycare as it is, as well as with my husband's job. But I have no intention of doing full day daycare forever and I don't really want to return to full time teaching as it really takes away from my time with my family (I was pretty much working 7 days a week before with the demands of teaching). So I think if I have some decent paying job along with the school age daycare we can make things work.

Woodsy
05-14-2014, 11:31 AM
I do not currentyl run a home daycare, but my goal is to do so one day.
I figured when my kids start school and I am no longer "needed" all day at home (as in no one at home for me to care for during the school hours) I would start a home cleaning buiness.. Clean 1 house a day for 5 days.. approxamitly $75-$100 per house for 3-4 hours work. I am not sure how easy it would be to find the clients for each day (most people likely get theirs houses cleaned bi-wekly) so you would end up with 10 or more clients, but it would allow for PA days and what not, perhaps on a week with a PA day you clean 2 houses so that you can have the PA day off. The only thing this does not account for is Summer... (My mom does thiy type of cleaning)

bright sparks
05-15-2014, 07:57 AM
I'll be attending Uni next September and have been wondering what kind of work I can do when I'm not in class to help with the budget. As I'll be commuting 100km away from home I have considered doing the house cleaning and advertising along my route which takes me through Niagara, Halton, Peel and GTA regions and scheduling clients along my route home so I'm not making an extra trip. Where campus is, there are enormous homes and it appears to be a wealthy area so I think this would honestly be the best source of income for me versus minimum wage somewhere but having such a huge area that I could cover is a great opportunity I think. I'll also be in charge of my scheduling which means I can work the cleanings around my classes. The previous posters suggestion was a good one in that when there are PA days you will know in advance and can schedule accordingly but then the issue of school holidays and how you would make them work around cleanings could be problematic.

AmandaKDT
05-15-2014, 12:43 PM
I'll be attending Uni next September and have been wondering what kind of work I can do when I'm not in class to help with the budget. As I'll be commuting 100km away from home I have considered doing the house cleaning and advertising along my route which takes me through Niagara, Halton, Peel and GTA regions and scheduling clients along my route home so I'm not making an extra trip. Where campus is, there are enormous homes and it appears to be a wealthy area so I think this would honestly be the best source of income for me versus minimum wage somewhere but having such a huge area that I could cover is a great opportunity I think. I'll also be in charge of my scheduling which means I can work the cleanings around my classes. The previous posters suggestion was a good one in that when there are PA days you will know in advance and can schedule accordingly but then the issue of school holidays and how you would make them work around cleanings could be problematic.

When I was in university I got student jobs right at the university. They usually pay more than minimum wage and can be very flexible to work around your class schedule. You could check out the postings at your university.

bright sparks
05-15-2014, 12:53 PM
When I was in university I got student jobs right at the university. They usually pay more than minimum wage and can be very flexible to work around your class schedule. You could check out the postings at your university.

For sure that's what I'm gonna check out but cleaning at $25 an hour on my schedule sounds pretty appealing too.