PDA

View Full Version : Gonna curl up in a ball and cry....

FunnyFarm
05-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Wake up to find my basement flooded- due to a neighbours patio sloping to our house. Now I need to go tell him he gets to rip it up and re-grade it. I hate confrontation (but glad we do have a good relationship with them). We just finished buying new furniture for our living room and don't have the extra cash to fix this (We saved our pennies for the couch...). and my daughter just got a fat lip from a Dcb. and it's bleeding.... :crying:

I really didn't need to wake up today....

MonkeyPrincess
05-13-2014, 11:18 AM
OH NO! That's a sucky situation :( Is your daycare in the basement? If so, then i would tell him right away so you can get it taken care of. You have to put your livelihood first. Even if its not, you have to get the damage assessed ASAP because water can damage more than you think, even if you cant see the damage. I am dealing with this with my in-laws (but i used to work for a restoration company subcontracted to insurance companies, and learned a lot when my own basement flooded in my old house 6 yrs ago). A puddle was caused by what we thought was a small leak, then it turned out that it require more work than first expected and now with all the drywall, plumbing, new bathroom, flooring, etc etc etc, it cost 15,000. My in-laws suspected that the water had been leaking for a while but then discovered a second leak, hence the expanded damage. Mind you, this is just our experience. I hope you don't have any issues!

You said you have a good relationship with him- I hope its all resolved quickly and painlessly!

AmandaKDT
05-13-2014, 12:58 PM
I don't know if it covered, but maybe you can contact your insurance company?

mimi
05-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi Funny Farm, yikes I hate water issues. Could you claim the damage on your insurance? I would just tell your neighbor the patio needs to repaired immediately or he'll be on the hook for future damage. This is why permits are required to build anything!!!
So sorry for your frustration!! I hope your daughter is o.k.

5 Little Monkeys
05-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Oh no! Hopefully tomorrow is a better day!! Good luck with the neighbour talk, at least you have a good relationship with him.

Fun&care
05-13-2014, 01:19 PM
You're not alone. I've had my share of water issues this year too and man does it suck...this winter when things warmed up at one point in Feb our basement flooded because of a crack in the foundation. My daycare was down there and we had just finished the flooring the year before and it had to be ripped up. But I ended up moving the daycare upstairs and I actually prefer it that way now. We never replaced the flooring down there and instead I painted the concrete and added area rugs for warmth and we use it as an extra family room/ daycare nap room. Then this weekend we turned the hose on outside, hubby comes downstairs to do laundry and there is water everywhere. Turns out we left the hose connected (although the valves had been shut off) throughout the winter and the pipe cracked. We left the hose on 5-10 mins. I don't even want to think about how bad it could have been had we left it on any longer.

I think you should call your insurance. It sounds like something they should cover but you would have to call and check. I'm sure your neighbor will understand and hopefully the damage isn't too bad. Best of luck, I know what you're going through, hang in there!

Lee-Bee
05-13-2014, 08:51 PM
About 2 months ago my daughter was having a rough end to the day so instead of doing the usual clean up before heading upstairs I just brought her up for supper and an early bed. Later that night I went down to do the tidy up and noticed water coming in the basement window! It was pouring rain at the time and we were having a major heat spell that was melting snow. The water was coming in the window itself as the window well was not draining fast enough.

It was Friday and the only reason I noticed it before Monday morning was because my daughter was acting up and I changed our routine!! Because I noticed it right when it started I was able to get the wet vac out. My husband went outside and took care of it from that end and we went and rented a industrial humidifier that I ran for 36 hrs. We got it all taken care of very quickly. There was never too much water because we stopped it before it could get worse.

Had we not found it Friday night we likely would have had to tear out the drywall and the carpet due to mold. So, so, so happy my daughter made us go up early that day therefore making me go down right when the problem started.

We now are spending $2,000 to have the window well redone. It was something we had planned to do anyways since that one had some signs of needing to be replace we just hadn't planned to rush it. Now we will get a larger window well which is not only let extra light in but will allow for even easier exit should we ever have to go out the windows. We could all fit out the windows now but I'd have to go out at a certain angle to bend the right way!

I can't imagine what we'd have done if we didn't catch this on Friday and we went down there on Monday to find a soaked basement! Our daycare is completely in the basement aside from napping in the upper bedrooms. We are not set up to have the kids on the main floor. I guess we would have made it work by bringing up some toys and furniture.