PDA

View Full Version : Dayhome providers who don't have children.

rainbowcupcake
05-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Hi. I will be opening a day home soon. I don't have the ability to have children. I read that some parents look for providers that are already parents. From a parent point of view, would you choose a provider with children? And if not, why?

Would a provider without children be a redflag for you as a parent?

Should I tell parents the reason why I don't have children?

Looking for personal opinions from parents/ providers.

Thanks!:)

Momof4
05-21-2014, 04:02 PM
My 4 children are grown and it's a selling point for me because of all my practical experience over the years and that I can give all my attention to the daycare children because mine are grown. When you are advertising you don't have to mention that you don't have any children and you certainly don't have to tell anybody your reasons, that's your own private business. But at the interview stage with parents you should point out all of your experience with taking care of children because they will probably be wondering about that. And you can also let them know that you will be giving all your attention to the daycare children since you don't have any yet. Find your strengths and advertise them.
Good luck.

Artsand crafts
05-21-2014, 04:03 PM
I started 3 years before having children of my own. I did not have troubles to sign families in back then. I started with an Agency and they brought me the clients and my job was to make them sign in during the interview. I set up my daycare ready for children to start playing on it. Sell your assets. Also, self confidence during interviews help a lot. Good luck.

rainbowcupcake
05-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks! yes I have experience with children and i am doing college course online for early learning childcare. I already work with special needs children as a home health care aid.

Thank you so much for the replys.:)

CrazyEight
05-21-2014, 04:53 PM
I think with your experience and education, you're totally fine. I think the only reason some parents could want a provider with children of their own is for practical experience, which you have in other ways. Go for it!

5 Little Monkeys
05-21-2014, 05:04 PM
I agree with the others...promote your qualifications and experience. I opened up my hdc 2.5 years ago and do not have children. I didn't specifically state this but when asked, answered honestly. I had lots of parents comment that they liked that I didn't have my own children and took that as a sign that this is what I want to do because I enjoy it and not because I could just stay home with my own children. I had 5.5 years experience with childcare at the time and just over 2 years with nursing though so I wasn't a complete newbie which probably helped.

Good luck!