PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a few things!!!

Julie
09-15-2011, 06:04 AM
I have picky eaters i have a two one year olds 2 two year olds and they hate veggies even with cheese what meals do you guys do for lunch.

Also i need games and things that i can do with 1 and two year olds i feel like i just watch them play and i sit on the couch. Is it bad that i do that or is there something i can do.... Mind you i do try and get them to say animal sounds and we dance and sing if your happy and you know it,head and shoulders knees and toes and those songs. but that's it.. i just feel i need more to do.

Also im having deciding weather 3 possibly 4 weeks of vaca is to much i plan on taking two-three weeks in the summer and one at x-mas. plus im not charging for when im sick or on vacation or for stat holidays so i think it's kinda fare. What do you guys think

was wondering when you guys interview for new clients what type of questions do you ask???
Thanks for listening to my babble hope someone can help.:)

Play and Learn
09-15-2011, 06:57 AM
I can answer the vacation thing, as it's still too early in the day to think. I take 10 or more weeks of holidays per year, and follow the school year (DH is a teacher and I want to spend time with him). The rule is here: I'm not open, you don't pay. Unless it's a Stat Holiday, then you do pay.

I don't think it's unfair for you to ask for that many holidays. Remember, YOUR family comes first and foremost, and then work. Just be upfront with parents before the interview (on the phone or email - and then you're not wasting your time or the parents during the interview), and say that you take x-amount of holidays at Christmas, and x-amount during the summer.

YOU do need to recharge your batteries. WE work with other peoples children!!!! If we didn't take holidays, we would probably crash and burn.

Spixie33
09-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Sometimes with 1 and 2 year olds they do just want to do free play.
You could try doing a craft with them once a week....make butterflies from coffee filters, fingerpainting or bring out playdough once a week. Outdoor time is also great for that age group.

I agree with Play and learn that 3 weeks vacay is not unreasonable. I think next year I will add an extra week too. I was doing 1.5 weeks in the summer, 1 week at Christmas and then maybe 1 day every other month for appts or whatever. I wish I had taken another week in the summer though to be with my own kids. I barely got any of the cleaning and relaxing done that I wanted to

When you interview new families...I ask basic stuff. Does the child nap, what milestones are they at, any concerns, hours and days needed. One of the best questions is to ask the parents what "THEY" are looking for or expecting from a daycare. That is a great question to see if you are a match. I usually go on and talk about what our day or weeks are like....how often we go outside....etc. Usually the parents ask most of the questions.

zen39
09-15-2011, 10:56 AM
I agree with the others about vacation time. The beauty of being your own boss is that you set your own ground rules. Parents are informed of vacation time and they can either accept it or find someone else. My husband is military and is away often, he gets 5 weeks vacation, so I take those same weeks. Plus I've informed my parents, that there may be some days here and there throughout the year that I'll need to take for either doctor appointments or school field trips with my kids. My days off are unpaid, parents are charged for their holidays unless it falls during the time I'm off. Same motto as the others...If I'm open, I'm paid, if not, then no pay.

For my one and two year olds, they love balls, scooping and pouring, cups and bowls of all sizes. I've bought large pompoms that they love to scoop and pour. They like finger painting, it's messy but I've gotten a lot of great photos of them and parents enjoy them. My kids really like puppet shows and felt board stories...can't get enough of it. Boxes of different sizes...big enough to sit in.

There is nothing wrong with letting them play either...kids learn the most through self exploration. Provide them with different things to do and sit back and enjoy them.

At interview time, I just try to let parents know what kind of parent I am to ensure that we have similar views. For example, I will let children cry things out a little, I do believe in time outs, I'm not organic, I'm not an attachment parent....It's important for both provider and parent to have similar ideas of raising their children...So just inform them of how you do things and ask if it's similar to their way.

FS2011
09-15-2011, 05:16 PM
I have the same worries with the 1 and 2 year old group I have. I do find the more I let them free play the more bored they get and the more the misbehaving starts. So I try to direct the play a little, Lego, puzzles, kitchen etc. We do crafts when the 1 year old sleeps, cuz she eats everything! Don't beat yourself up about sitting back, I know I do but it's a hard age to really be involved.

Vaca...3-4 weeks is totally acceptable! Especially unpaid. I work it into my monthly rate so my month to month payment stays the same however parents are not actually paying. I take 20 days, 15 vaca and 5 for sick, training or emerg pop ups. I post in February each year so parents know the schedule and how to prepare.

Junelouise
09-15-2011, 10:36 PM
oh geez..I am short changing myself..I only took one week vacation in August and it was NO vacation..had hubbys relatives here and I had to do all the cooking. I needed a rest after they left! My husband gets 4 or 5 weeks vacation, but he usually is working around the house on projects. I need a vacation!!!!

momplus6
09-16-2011, 10:38 PM
I think your vacation time is up to you I'm always closed one week at Christmas(paid) and then one week in the summer(paid) plus six flex day for sickness or whatever. This next summer I'm thinking of adding a week unpaid so I get two in the summer. Can I ask what types of veggies and how you serve them? I have found that just offering a variety will eventually get them to eat the veggies just keep trying, make them try a bite every day of each thing you serve.

Julie
09-19-2011, 06:31 AM
I serve carrots celery broccoli cooked for the little ones and raw for the older ones with dip or cheese i even hide it in things and if it's not cut small enough they pick it out smart buggers LOL. Iv'e tried getting creative and making little men but they just behead the men and play with them.

playfelt
09-19-2011, 08:20 AM
I got my gang to eat veggies by cutting out the starch. I served the meat and veggies on a little plate and then put the pot of kraft dinner in the centre of the table and told them when they had made me some room by eating some of the food I would fill the space with the KD. For some it took several days and others got it right away. Eventually I was able to go back to bigger plates and all three catagories on it. I also have a rule that the first plate of food has to be finished - I am giving child friendly portions so no reason for it not to disappear - before they get anything more. Those that finish move on to fruit, pudding/yogurt, etc. Those that don't continue to stare at their lunch till the meal is over. I am not denying anyone "dessert" but I am not rewarding not eating the nutritious foods first. Getting the extras is an earned privilege. Besides if a child isn't hungry enough to finish their meat and veggies then it would be rude of me to put even more food in front of them even if it is yummy.

I put puree veggies in a lot of foods and they don't notice. As you said, they will pick them out if they see them. Remember that pumpkin is considered a vegetable so in cookies or muffins it is a way to sneak it in. Have done this with meat in muffins too - ever had muffins with the puree portion being part banana and part puree chicken - they never complained, lol. Not something I resort to on a regular basis but every once in awhile you have that child that is sickly from being so picky and you try to do what you can to help out.

momplus6
09-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Could you try some different veggies, I do cucombers(uncooked), red peppers sliced, broccoli, I rarely serve cook veggies unless its in something. What about salad I do salads with lettuce, tomatoes,cucombers, red peppers and usually a vingeratte dressing this way the kids can kinda pick through and at least they will get some veggies. Maybe glazed carrots those are supper yummy. Do you ever do stirfrys those are a big hit here, rice with(hamburger or pork or chicken) fried with come kind of sauce onions, garlic, broccoli, carrots, celery, red peppers. I also serve smaller portions so that if they ask for more I tell them they have to finish what is on there plate.