PDA

View Full Version : True colours came out!

Lou
05-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Wow!
So I had an empty space and had several interviews lined up for this coming Sunday. Unexpectedly, a family friend came forward and requested the spot and paid her deposit. Great hours, full time, great relationship with the parents and they are the type of personality that I enjoy working with the most. So, spot filled.

I did feel badly canceling the interviews but I didn't want to waste their time or mine by hosting interviews to fill a spot that was no longer there. I sent out a polite email stating that the space was now full, thank you for your consideration, good luck in your search, if you would like the contact information of other providers in the neighbourhood, etc etc etc.
One lady flipped! Resorted to name calling...stating I was unprofessional, disrespectful, ridiculous and disgusting. (disgusting??? lol). Her initial email had seemed so polite and she had seemed like a good candidate!
After telling a fellow daycare provider in the area, she told me that she had heard of this lady before that other providers had turned her away for coming across as rude and giving off a "weird vibe". It's almost like we should be administering parents "conflict/stress tests". lol
So glad I dodged that bullet!!!

Dreamalittledream
05-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Re: "administering parents "conflict/stress tests""
Don't you wish there was some way??!!
Phew!

dodge__driver11
05-22-2014, 10:31 AM
I just had an e-mail like this the other day..She seemed nice, then went crazy nutso when I said no I can't do what you are asking...In a nice way mind you..... (I was nice lol) I just don't get it.

Fun&care
05-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Wow that is scary...I really feel for the unlucky provider who gets stuck with her :( I don't understand why some ppl think it is ok to treat ppl like that. :no:

playfelt
05-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Why would a parent think that they are the only ones interested in a space. Unless she called you and the interview was within the hour there is every possibility that someone that previously interviewed called back to take the spot.

Lou
05-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Yeah, it was surprising to say the least! I understand feeling disappointed that she didn't "get a chance to be considered", but all said and done I'm glad I got to see those true colours. I feel like everything would be a battle, almost like she already thought that I worked for HER. Imagine if I needed a day off? YIKES! My husband read it and was like "thank goodness you canceled!".

Momof4
05-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Omigosh Lou, thank goodness you dodged the crazy bullet for sure! It's really nice that you found out that others have heard about the woman though to put your mind at ease. None of us needs that in our lives.

Busy ECE mommy
05-23-2014, 08:28 AM
You gave plenty of advance notice for cancellation, so I get being disappointed, but rude is uncalled for. I had one like this who I interviewed and briefly discussed a contract with. There was no deposit or completed contract. She wanted part-time. I sat down and discussed it with my husband, and we decided to go with before/after care only which was in super high demand at the time, and it allowed me to take my preschool daughter to lessons during the day. I emailed her back, telling her of the changes and why it was better for my family, and she lost it, and called me a liar, and that I had no integrity and no business taking care of children! This was a upper middle class, well educated woman, and I was shocked by her behaviour. She also bad-mouthed me to the neighbourhood. SOOOOOO glad that didn't work out LOL! People amaze me sometimes!

playfelt
05-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Yeah, it was surprising to say the least! I understand feeling disappointed that she didn't "get a chance to be considered", but all said and done I'm glad I got to see those true colours. I feel like everything would be a battle, almost like she already thought that I worked for HER. Imagine if I needed a day off? YIKES! My husband read it and was like "thank goodness you canceled!".

Actually what it sounds like is the mom was thinking in her mind that it worked like applying for a job that you got a list of candidates, interviewed them and then picked someone for the job or in this case a child for you daycare. Maybe mom has been having trouble getting from the application to the chosen for an interview stage or up against jobs that have been filled internally by who you know. It sure sounds like it from her over reaction.

At the same time nothing you did was wrong and really would she have wanted to waste her time interviewing if there was no chance of getting the position.

Secondtimearound
05-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Yikes !!! So many things to be grateful for here !! Firstly , you filled your spot !! Yaay !! And secondly , you do not have to discover this women's personality trying to work with her !!