PDA

View Full Version : Theme based programs

ceECE
02-16-2011, 03:21 PM
How many centres offer weekly themes as a part of their program?
If you offer themes, where do you get your resources from?
If it's the internet, which sites?
I look forward to your responses :D

ceECE
02-16-2011, 04:32 PM
The reason that I'm asking is because I spend too much time printing, laminating, researching, and cutting felt stories. This is all during my private time that takes away from family time. I would love to purchase a full theme! But can't find anything :(
The only thing that I can find is the felt stories.
Anyone have any leads for me??

playfelt
02-16-2011, 10:10 PM
I make my own curriculum and most of my teaching resources just as you are. The one thing to remember is once you have done them they are good for many years. One thing is to limit how elaborate you get with the themes and then add to them each year so it means making fewer items for each theme. Also remember that children love repetition so again you can get away with less the first year and then the second year add new items.

Even with most prepackaged curricululms you still need to do prep work. The difference is the ideas are all there but there are so many sites on the internet for printing directly from for free that it works well too.

Tot-Time
02-17-2011, 07:55 AM
I don't always have a theme but if I do, it is a monthly theme. So for example January I will work on Snowmen, February Valentine's Day, March St Patrick's Day, April Spring, May etc ...

I agree with Playfelt in having repetition and adding to a theme each year. I only have 9 themes per year because I don't do any programming in July and August.

I have a purchased toddler theme from http://adaycare.com/ and I find I still resort back to my own materials and planning because even with a purchased theme I still made adaptations and still had prep work.

mlc1982
02-27-2011, 10:14 PM
So, do the majority of theme based programs run monthly??

I am looking into starting some themes but am not sure how to run them. Daily, weekly, monthly?? What has worked best for everybody?

fruitloop
02-28-2011, 07:35 AM
I have themed months as well. I use my own resourses and find it really doesn't take that long. Things don't need to be elaborate for the kids to enjoy it. My Feb theme was Letters P,Q, R ...shape Heart, Colour red, number 7, things with wings, Valentine's Day, Bears.

giraffe
02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I am doing a transportation theme for the next few weeks it will blend into a community helpers theme

Cadillac
03-07-2011, 07:43 AM
When you do a theme, how long do you spend on it per day? I was thinking about themes, but I just can't justify spending an entire month on the shape of a heart. Repitition is very important but I tend to do the core shapes a few times per week and then add a more complex shape in per week to 'study' We all have children at different levels. If a few children have learned the 'heart' and others haven't, what do you do with the children that are more advanced for the rest of the month?

playfelt
03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
i use the basics to teach other concepts such as coloured circles with seasonal pictures on them. I might name a colour and the child chooses the red circle and then tells what is on it. So we are reviewing colours as we name animals. Same works for shapes. I include the ones we know and add more as the group warrants. If I have older kids I just make a point to ask the younger kids a question that has them choosing a circle or square and ask the older kids a question that has them naming a pentagon or octagon.

ceECE
03-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Thank you for all of your thoughts!
If there was a site that offered a mini theme:
Ex. Story book, felt story, booklet with songs,art ideas, and science etc, magnetic story, and small toys for visuals at circle????? (All in one mini kit) for $50??
Would you buy them??

Spixie33
04-19-2011, 12:36 PM
I have done daily and weekly themes/programming based on books. It is great and ties the whole day together. It does take some prep time though :(

So you pick a book. Ie. The Very Hungry caterpillar

You then think of how you tie that into the menu for that day...do you pick some of the foods that the caterpillar eats for snacks and mealtime or ??

Then I made large caterpillars from a piece of Bristol Board. I think one large Bristol board made about 5 caterpillars. I then gave the children red, green and yellow paint so they could paint the caterpillar with similar colours to the one in the book. The following week we painted butterflies and talked about how caterpillars go into a coccoon and become butterflies.

I know some providers have done themes based on The Kissing Hand, I You Give a Pig a Pancake and books about fall, etc to program off on.

playfelt
04-19-2011, 03:58 PM
The problem with prepackaged theme units is that by the time you adapt them to your group you end up doing a lot of the work anyways. It is hard to find anything that can be used properly with the age range we deal with in home daycare. Months where I have mostly younger kids I do things differently than months where they are mostly older and a combination on months inbetween.

angelina
12-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Thank you for all of your thoughts!
If there was a site that offered a mini theme:
Ex. Story book, felt story, booklet with songs,art ideas, and science etc, magnetic story, and small toys for visuals at circle????? (All in one mini kit) for $50??
Would you buy them??

no, OEYC give some hints and tips for free, and you can borrow them. if you got " snow and winter theme" this next two weeks, you can borrow books, felt, props, toys from them. Just make up your own theme and borrow resources.

CCPRN felt story kits are like $10 only.

Momof4
12-06-2012, 04:18 PM
I've been running themes for several years now and love them. I'm planting little seeds in the minds of the children by focusing on a different theme every week or two. But I don't spend lots of money, I get the books from the library and google for crafts and songs and games to play to match the theme.

KellysChildCare
12-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Check your local library they might have theme bins you can sign out for a wk with a few books on the theme and props etc! Although if you make your own I think that's a great idea I might do too at 1st might take a while but make them so you can reuse them kids learn through repetition so have a bin for each season > only 4 then make a few with basic themes like farm zoo space and rotate them 1 wk winter next farm then back to winter then zoo then winter for variety have a colour and a # or letter of the wk and change those ... dollarama or your local dollar store is great for supplies for the bins
Just make sure if you're going to spend your time on these things that you can reuse them so in the long run you have more time with family.