PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else????

Wonderwiper
05-28-2014, 08:48 AM
My oldest starts JK this fall. Just wondering if anyone else has school aged kids of their own but does not want to do school runs!!!!!!

I don't do before/after school kids for exactly this reason but can't avoid my own kids getting older ha ha!

Just found out we got a spot in the before/after program at her school. I'm very relieved because it's really hard to get into.

I'll be able to pick her up early when the weather is good!!!

Is it terrible that I don't want to drag 6 kids out in rain/snow to walk to get my own daughter????

CrazyEight
05-28-2014, 09:16 AM
lol I feel your pain! I do the school run, since I have my older 2 currently in JK and SK, plus 1 dck in SK as well. In the spring it's great, the weather is nice, the kids love having a destination, etc, but in the winter, it's horrible. And the school is only next door, not even a five minute walk! In 2 feet of snow pushing a double or triple stroller though, it feels like an hour! Your thinking is not terrible at all!
Congrats on getting into the program, it'll save you a huge headache!

DCMG
05-28-2014, 09:32 AM
I hired an grade 7 student when my oldest was in JK to walk him to and from school. She went off to high school and her younger brother now walks my oldest 2 to school and home. He is off to high school next year and am having a tough time finding someone for next year...sigh...looks like I might be back to walking. And literally it is 20 minutes up a fairly steep hill. My quad stroller is about as easy to push as a tank on a good day nevermind in the snow.

Busy ECE mommy
05-28-2014, 10:41 AM
I've been trying to get mine in the before/after program for 2 yrs, but its overflowing with wait lists. The inconvenience of early naps with infants int the morning,and waking them in the afternoon early to go to school, especially in bad weather, is very annoying, so I completely agree with you! Good for you for getting a spot!

torontokids
05-28-2014, 11:51 AM
I am doing the same thing. It was never a question for me. Thankfully she got into the program as it has huge waitlists as well.

nschildcare
05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Of course it isn't terrible. You need to do what works for you. Your daughter will probably love being able to play with her friends after school, too.

Our school is 3 houses down the street so my kids are able to walk home themselves. When my youngest started kindy, for the first 2 months I adjusted naps, meals, etc so that I was able to meet her. I literally worked up a sweat running around, waking everyone gently, getting them dressed and in the stroller and then down to the school. The dcks were either really happy to see all the kids at the school or really upset to have been woken up, lol. I dreaded that time of day in the best weather, nevermind if it was raining or snowing.

Then I slowly weaned her (and myself, lol) off of meeting her so that she and I were both comfortable with her walking home by herself. Now it is no problem with her, or my older ones, getting to and fro on their own. And it makes my day so much easier.

Next year, though, they are switching schools as our old one closed down. It is a 45 mins walk (at least) and no sidewalks and they didn't make the bus cut off. I will not transport dcks and don't want to have to rely on anyone else so I am closing down. I also do not want to put my kids in the after school program (ours is terrible).

Good luck next year!

superfun
05-28-2014, 01:27 PM
My oldest is in half day kinder this year (it's a bit different in MB) and it was such a pain getting her there in the morning and then doing it all again a couple hours later to get her before lunch. So now a girl in grade 7 walks with her each morning and I go get her at lunch. Next year the same girl will hopefully be able to walk her home at the end of the day. I was feeling guilty that I want to enrol her in the lunch program so that I don't have to pick her up at lunch and take her back. I think I'm over that now (feeling guilty), because it just won't work with 5 little ones. My youngest daughter is already a grump when we go to school at 1145, I really doubt she could do it again an hour later.