PDA

View Full Version : Summer holiday plans?????

Wonderwiper
05-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Some nice mindless reading for nap time!!! Anyone have exciting plans with their own families this summer?

My dd are 2 and 4....they are very excited about our trip to Sesame Place in Pennsylvania in July! We are camping at a nice lakeside campground for the August long weekend and have a weekend booked at Blue Mountain resort in June.

I also have the last week of August off but we haven't decided what, if anything, we will plan for that time. Maybe just stay close to home and do some fun stuff!

CrazyEight
05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
We've just committed to attending my step-brother's wedding in Victoria in August. We live outside of Toronto, so it's a big deal to make the trip with 3 kids (6, 4.5 and 18 months) Honestly, I'm more stressed out than anything, as my youngest is not the type to allow herself to be forced to sit still on an airplane for six hours, and it wasn't my first choice for a holiday...we were kind of guilted into it by family.
BUT the kids will love seeing family they hardly ever see, and playing on the beach, and I can take them to all the places I went to as a kid. As long as we can make it to the PNE, the big fair in Vancouver, I'll be happy!
Last time I flew with my youngest she was only 3 months old...anyone have any tips for flying with an extremely active toddler? ("just drug her" is a valid option...lol)

Wonderwiper
05-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Ha ha....sounds busy but hopefully once you get there family will take over and you can relax a bit!!

No tips for the flight but will be watching for some here....our trip to Sesame is a road trip of close to 8 hours so could be interesting!!

bright sparks
05-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Sesame Place is awesome, I took my kids a number of years ago. I highly recommend booking the character lunch, its not priced like Disney so much more affordable and every character goes to ever single child and spends time with them and there is a huge dance off with everyone in the place...I have a whole album from this trip and have many fond memories. PA is great for kids as there is the Crayola Factory there too which is a cheap day out and also the Hershey Factory. I have the last week of August booked off so may venture down for a few days as PA has an amazing Science centre.

This year is all about my kids so no family vacation. We seem to go away every other year and every other trip is a big one so the one in between is a cheap Florida villa rental...to be honest they are the best :) We went to Florida last August and then 2011 went to Europe for 3 weeks...UK, Czech Rep and Italy. Next year my neice is getting married in the UK so we are planning on going there for a few days, week tops and then renting a house in France...just looking into that now. My son and hubby are going camping while my daughter is away so I have the opportunity to travel alone for a few days but I have no idea where to go or what to do.

My daughter, 13, is going to a 2 week French camp that is residential, a week of day camp to do leadership development with pathfinders and then 2 weeks of day camp along with my son, 11, at the YMCA to do their Leader in training program. He is also doing a weeks day camp at a university campus in video game development. Add on to that swimming lessons, and there is a really good chance that the week off I take, I'll be doing a whole lot of nothing :)

AmandaKDT
05-29-2014, 12:54 PM
We are going to Minneapolis at the end of June. Not the most exciting destination, but it is the closest place we could drive to that has lots of stuff to do. It will be the first time we have gone on any kind of trip with our two girls and hopefully it goes well. It is a 7.5 hour drive, so we plan on staying over night in Fargo as it is half way in between. My girls barely last the 2 hour drive to my parents' house so there is no way we are going all the way there in one shot.

but my older daughter (almost 5) is very excited about staying in a hotel and going to the Barbie Dream House in Mall of America. I think it will be a good time!

We hope to go on a bigger trip in 2 years, go on an airplane to somewhere exciting. I think 2 years of saving will get us there!

5 Little Monkeys
05-29-2014, 02:12 PM
all of your plans sound fun!! Enjoy :)

I am taking a week off in July and a week off in August and don't have a whole lot planned yet. In July we have a wedding at the end of my holidays and in August a wedding at the start of my holidays. Will likely spend a fair bit of time at the cabin and enjoy boating and swimming. I don't like to camp for too long (I'm a "hotel" kind of girl lol) but the other half loves it so I do as much as I can...with minimal complaining! Hopefully will go down to the States at some point as well and stock up on groceries.

bright sparks
05-29-2014, 02:23 PM
We are going to Minneapolis at the end of June. Not the most exciting destination, but it is the closest place we could drive to that has lots of stuff to do. It will be the first time we have gone on any kind of trip with our two girls and hopefully it goes well. It is a 7.5 hour drive, so we plan on staying over night in Fargo as it is half way in between. My girls barely last the 2 hour drive to my parents' house so there is no way we are going all the way there in one shot.

but my older daughter (almost 5) is very excited about staying in a hotel and going to the Barbie Dream House in Mall of America. I think it will be a good time!

We hope to go on a bigger trip in 2 years, go on an airplane to somewhere exciting. I think 2 years of saving will get us there!

What is there to do in Minneapolis? I like to take driving holidays into the states!!

AmandaKDT
05-30-2014, 12:48 PM
What is there to do in Minneapolis? I like to take driving holidays into the states!!

There is the Mall of America that is huge - it has the Nickeleon Amusement Park inside it and a big aquarium that is a tunnel that you can walk through and see the marine life all around you.

There is a huge water park right near Mall of America.

There are river boat cruises on the Mississippi.

They have a permanent outdoor amusement park too called Valley Fair.

Minneapolis is a pretty big city, so there are museums and a zoo and that type of stuff too.

In August I believe there is also a big festival.

mimi
05-30-2014, 01:41 PM
We are going to Cuba for a week last week in June (first holiday for hubby and I with out dd) and taking another week at the end of July and may do a road trip (again sans dd) to the maritime provinces.
Has anyone been to Cuba before? We are going to Tryp Cayo Coco.

Crayola kiddies
05-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Last two weeks of July we are on holidays we are Going to Quebec for a week to a cottage we rent every year and then going to the muscokas to my aunts cottage for four days and then down to Toronto for a few days .....going camping in Algonquin for four days making a long weekend out of Canada day ..... We just bought a trailer and picking it up tomorrow so going to go camping for a few other weekends thru the summer