PDA

View Full Version : Saying Goodbye... Need Some Ideas

Woodsy
05-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Well, my daughter has been going to my daycare provider for nearly 2 years, we will be saying goodbye soon, as I will be home on maternity leave and when I return we need to find new daycare that offers before and after school.

I need some help with a thank you/goodbye gift. I am a crafty person, and have made a couple really nice daycare appropriate gifts for my DCP, keeping in mind that I am pregnant, I need some ideas.

I am not sure which route to go, for Xmas I usually gift something for the provider as well as for the daycare...

I am thinking to go this route as well for the "goodbye" I'd like to leave her something for her, to show our gratitude for her great care over the past 2 years, but I would like to also leave something for the kids as well...

Thanks!

mickyc
05-29-2014, 02:52 PM
How about a toy for daycare? I had a family buy a little people princess castle for daycare when they left. The kids love it!! As for your provider why not a gift card? Check pinterest as well - there are tons of awesome ideas if you are crafty.

daycaremum
05-29-2014, 04:14 PM
As a home daycare provider I prefer to receive a gift from families that is for me, not a gift for the daycare. If you do both that is fine. The best gift I ever got was a gift card to the Hair salon that I use. It told me that they really listened when we chat, and I got to do something for myself.

Momof4
05-29-2014, 05:08 PM
No, no, please, nothing for the daycare, show her you appreciate everything she has done and been to you as a caregiver. A lovely plant or a flower arrangement, something to show she is special would be wonderful. I've received a lovely plant, scented candles, a little Willow statue with thank you on it, gift cards and other little gifts like that over the years and a handwritten card which meant the world to me. It doesn't have to be expensive, just from the heart.

5 Little Monkeys
05-29-2014, 05:09 PM
That is very nice of you to want to leave a gift. I aM sure no matter what you give, it will be appreciated :)

Things I have received when families have left are restaurant gift cards, prepaid credit card, store gift cards, oil scented decor, flowers, dcp ornament (child and adult hugging) and very thoughtful words in cards.

I think it's great if you want to leave something for the dc kids as well but I would suggest a gift card for this. Maybe one to toysrus? This way she can get something she needs or use it towards a bigger purchase she's been saving for?

Fun&care
05-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Definitely my most favorite part of receiving gifts are the kind words written in the card. Something that says you have appreciated all her hard work. To me this is more important that the gift.

mimi
05-29-2014, 07:43 PM
I agree, a card with your kind words of appreciation mean the world do a dcp. A gift card to your providers favourite restaurant or even a perennial plant for her garden so that every year it comes up she will be reminded of your child. (someone did that for me and 5 yrs later I am still reminded of that dear dcb)

mickyc
05-29-2014, 09:14 PM
yes I agree with daycaremum. As nice as it was to receive the expensive toy for daycare I would have much preferred something for myself. It is ok though if you do both and I have to say the most important thing is the nice card with a hand written thank you in it.

nschildcare
05-30-2014, 06:15 AM
Cards are my favourite, with a nice message written inside. I keep these for a while :)

I also think that a gift for the provider would be more appropriate than one for the daycare. Plants or edible arrangements (yum). The best gift ever I just got yesterday. I am a yoga teacher and teach yoga to the dcks. It is something I talk about extensively at the interview but it usually doesn't get mentioned again. I am closing down in a week and a family brought a gift for me yesterday. They got me a yoga tank top. Made me smile that they remember how much yoga means to me.

madmom
05-30-2014, 01:33 PM
A gift card is always appreciated, but how about a letter of recommendation the provider can attach to her interview package too? I would love to have something like that to show prospective clients. Just an idea

gravy_train
05-30-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm closing my daycare and just said good-bye to a little one today. His parents gave me a really thoughtful card that thanked me for loving and taking care of their son, they gave me a beautiful picture frame with a picture of their son and they gave me a gift card to a local spa. I feel so appreciated!

Lou
05-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Doing both is a great idea! You are very sweet, you will make her feel very appreciated.
The best gift I ever got was a scented candle from bath and body works (she knew I loved them), with $100 as a bonus to my pay, and a tear jerker card :*)