PDA

View Full Version : Consequence for chatting during nap time?

torontokids
05-30-2014, 01:35 PM
I have a 2 yo dcg who has started chatting during nap time and will talk to the other kids etc. I usually take her out of her PNP last as a consequence for talking (taking all the good nappers out and making a big deal about how they were "so big during nap." I told her more then once to stop talking and even moved another child further from her in the playroom/nap area. I need to up my game but I am unsure what to do?

Her parents and I both spoke to her last wk and it got better. Today, she hasn't napped at all. I only have one space for the kids to nap.

Lou
05-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Well, my advice would have been to move her to another area until she gets a bit older and can rejoin the group, but that's not possible?

dodge__driver11
05-30-2014, 01:47 PM
I have one like this right now and was about to post.....Hopefully we both get some good ideas.

Fun&care
05-30-2014, 01:48 PM
I definitely recommend a sound machine so that it drowns out the chatting for the other kids. Rearranging the nap room so that she can't see anyone would be the best option. I don't think I would take her out of her PNP under any circumstance as she may actually see this as a reward not a punishment. I also have a two year old who chats to the others at the beginning of nap time but it usually only lasts. 5-10 mins and they are all asleep. Even if she continues to chat they all usually fall anyways...

torontokids
05-30-2014, 01:50 PM
To clarify, she does not get out of her PNP during nap time. After nap, I take her out last though and she waits until everyone is changed and all the PNP's are away and she stands there and watches them play.

torontokids
05-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Also, it's one big open space

Crayola kiddies
05-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Can you not put her in one of your bedrooms by herself?

mickyc
05-30-2014, 02:32 PM
I have an issue with the boy that arrives later than the others. When we go for nap he usually isn't ready to sleep yet as he gets hear almost 2 hours after the rest (so gets to sleep in longer in the morning at home). It drives me crazy. I have had to put him in the corner and I drape a blanket over the 2 sides of the playpen that he can see out of. I keep wanting to sew some covers for the 2 sides and Velcro them on I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe try that. I know as soon as he can't see the other kids and communicate with them he goes to sleep.

Fun&care
05-30-2014, 03:44 PM
To clarify, she does not get out of her PNP during nap time. After nap, I take her out last though and she waits until everyone is changed and all the PNP's are away and she stands there and watches them play.

My mistake, I misread your post. Does her chatting prevent the others from falling asleep? Typically I find things like this get worse the more I try and intervene and I've been surprised a few times that if I just let the chatters chat away everybody gets bored of it after a few days and everyone sleeps.

Busy ECE mommy
05-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Find another spot in the house to separate her from the other nappers.

5 Little Monkeys
05-30-2014, 05:32 PM
I agree with fun&care...I have a few that chat to each other or just to themselves for a bit in the beginning but they fall asleep within minutes. Before I leave the room I remind them all in a firm voice that there is no talking to each other. This usually stops the older ones (the 2 yo's) but the younger ones still chatter for a bit.

I will occasionally turn the walkie talkies on before leaving the room. If I hear them chatting for a long time or see that they are not sleeping, I can just walkie talkie down to the room "go to sleep xxx"...they don't know where my voice is coming from and I can see on the monitor the look of shock on their face and they instantly settle down and go to bed. It's kinda funny actually haha.

If it was affecting the others to an extreme, I would be looking for another place to put the chatter.

torontokids
05-30-2014, 08:14 PM
I have a video monitor and I tell her to stop talking. If I leave her be they do settle and sleep. The problem is really when say one kid wakes in their sleep cycle and she chats with them/sings etc. It seems to only be a problem 1-2 days a wk but it is those days that I dread.

I could technically put her in an upstairs bedroom but I like having nothing to do with daycare upstairs and I also like them all together for the simple reason that it is easier (no bringing her up the stairs, one less kid to grab from upstairs in the event of fire).

After nap today I kept her in her PNP the whole time while every other kid got taken out, changed and the PNP's put away. I was very clear that she was staying as result of her keeping everyone up. She got it...but for how long?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will place her at the far end of the daycare and if it comes down to it maybe try and move her to my bedroom.