PDA

View Full Version : School Aged Kids

KingstonMom
09-20-2011, 06:10 AM
I have one 4 year old dcg who just started kindergarten. She is part time. She comes here Tues, Thurs, and (almost) every other Friday. She pays per day.
I recently had a new spot open and advertised for another school aged child so that my 4 year old dcg has a playmate.
I had a new family inquire about the spot. I was considering adding in my contract that this be a 3 day minimum/week spot. (wheter child attends 3 days that week or not) They said no thank and I lost that family.

What can I do to accomodate school aged kids who only come part time (as they are in school the other days of the week) and still have a consistant paycheque from them. I feel if I do not add the 3 days/week minimum then I lose out on Stat holidays and the part timer is just not worth my time.

Does anybody have kids who come on alternate days? What do you do?

playfelt
09-20-2011, 08:29 AM
That is what I was just going to suggest is that you have alternate day kids. The only thing to remember is that on holidays you won't be able to take both of them on the Friday which would be an overlap day. The space would go to the child that would normally have been in care and the child who should have been at school will have to make different arrangements for that day so for the summer you could only take each child alternate Fridays.

Is the first family paying for three days too or just two days plus alternate Fridays? Unless you have them on the same schedule they won't be playmates anyways but the contract needs to be the same.

You would do better to find a 3 year old that needs full time care or fill the space with two part time 3 year olds. Considering the 4 year old is a girl even a girl that is 2 1/2 will be able to play house and do a lot of the girlie things the older one does.

Since the 4 year old isn't giving you a lot of money but taking a space I would just advertise a space and take a full time whatever comes your way even if it is a baby. Then if the part time 4 year old becomes an issue let them move on and replace with another full time. It isn't our job to go without income so they can have a playmate. With school they have their big friends and learning tolerate, be a big sister to the babies is also a learning skill so teach that on the alternate days.

Sandbox Sally
09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
My part time daily rate is $15 a day extra than full time daily rate, whether they come for two days or three. Therefore, if I have two part-timers, although I don't get paid for stats, I am still getting that extra money every week that I wouldn't be getting with the full timer who DOES pay stats.

KingstonMom
09-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Alphaghetti- that is a fantastic idea, I never thought of charging more for the part timer but it totally makes sense.
I agree with you playfelt, I am going to advertise for a full time positiion. You are right, even if it is a baby, at least I will have steady income and no scheduling conflilcts to worry about. I have a 3 year old here, full time and they play together nicely when the 4 yo girl is here. And you are correct, she does help me change the babies bums, gets the wipes, and hands out sippy cups. So what if she is not interacting with others her exact age, it is a break from her regular day to day at school. She will survive ;)

ps I just discovered that the 'potential' parent who was emailing me asking about all of this is actually a daycare provider ON MY STREET!!! Tyring to get a scoop on the ages of children I currently have, asking what I charge etc. She thinks she was being sneaky, but next time, she should use a different email than the one posted on her kijiji advertisement. LOL I gave her some of my daycare info before I realized, but oh well, I dont mind a little friendly competition.

Sandbox Sally
09-20-2011, 01:24 PM
ps I just discovered that the 'potential' parent who was emailing me asking about all of this is actually a daycare provider ON MY STREET!!! Tyring to get a scoop on the ages of children I currently have, asking what I charge etc. She thinks she was being sneaky, but next time, she should use a different email than the one posted on her kijiji advertisement. LOL I gave her some of my daycare info before I realized, but oh well, I dont mind a little friendly competition.

Ugh, I had that happen to me a couple of months ago as well...had me going for a week that I might have an interview to fill a spot. She also used a conspicuous email address though....haha come ON, people! Be a little more creative!

CPST_Manda
09-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Day Care Espionage... I love it! hahahaha