PDA

View Full Version : School lunches

torontokids
06-09-2014, 12:16 PM
I didn't want to hijack Dodge's thread but her timing is very good as I have had a question myself about school lunches.

I have been wondering what to get my daughter as containers for her lunch. I know some people use bento boxes but I think they are pretty pricey if they are to get lost and let's face it, my DD will be going to JK and isn't always the most careful with certain things. If she does well with her new found responsibilities then I will invest in one, but I need a trial run for a month or so first. I was thinking about just doing cheap tupperware from the dollarstore but then I worry about leaks etc...any brands you can recommend?

AmandaKDT
06-09-2014, 12:29 PM
I got a Yumbox, which is one of those pricey bento boxes (super awesome, by the way). But I also have the Rubbermaid Lunchblox kit, it works good. I wouldn't buy the cheap containers for the dollar store IMO.

my oldest will be starting kindergarten this fall and I have been already packing her food lunch box style so that she is used to serving herself by the time she is in school.

Wonderwiper
06-09-2014, 12:49 PM
My dd is also starting JK. I also don't want to spend $40 box on a container that she will most likely lose haha! I found some really cool ones on amazon.ca. They are rectangular with a large (sandwich size) medium and 2 small divided sections. One lid covers everything. Will fit perfectly in a backpack. I don't think they will be good for liquid things though.

Rubbermaid sells similar containers just a bit smaller....3 for $4 at walmart in the states!

I also have little screw top containers that have built in hot/cold packs that I can use for liquid things!

Wonderwiper
06-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Mine are sort of like these but with another medium size spot.

http://www.amazon.ca/EasyLunchboxes-3-compartment-Containers-BPA-Free-Easy-Open/dp/B00AD67KN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402336240&sr=8-1&keywords=yumbox

Might be a good option to test out without having to pay a fortune!

Or this:

http://www.amazon.ca/Sistema-Slimline-Quaddie-Lunch-Pink/dp/B002KKCLOG/ref=sr_1_20?s=kitche n-substore&ie=UTF8&qid=1402336435&sr=1-20

nschildcare
06-09-2014, 01:53 PM
We started off using rubbermaid containers. Honestly, I found them to be a pain. It was also hard to make them all fit into the backpack and we lost more of those than I can count. Not to mention the ones that break.

My kids have the planetbox. These are super awesome and will last for a long time. They come with a zippered bag with handle so your child can easily carry them. And they are slim enough to fit in the backpack. No little pieces to lose, everything gets packed away at the end of lunch. Easy to clean, dries quickly. Lots of different compartments to take different foods, snacks, etc. Ours are going on 4 years and still ticking.

Our kids eat in their classrooms, so less chance of things getting lost. Label, label, label :) I do this for all their things. I got some stick on labels from mabels labels and use them on everything they take.

they are pricier but they will last. If you can find a few moms close by who want them, you can save on shipping, too.

dshtebazile
06-09-2014, 02:39 PM
My oldest is in grade five, and my youngest is in SK and we have gone through SEVERAL different types of lunch bags containers and systems. The best IMO, has been the Eco Lunch Box - here is a review I found - http://bloom-doula.com/blog/testing-out-the-eco-lunch-box/ . They are almost always at homesense and winners for about $7.99. Our school does the balanced day lunches and I find two of these containers work perfectly. My older son has the rectangular ones and my younger son has the circular ones.