PDA

View Full Version : Resigned myself to accepting 12 month olds

Other Mummy
06-09-2014, 05:29 PM
I've been in a daycare slump with my numbers. I lost 3 daycare children within a 3 week span back in March and still haven't fully filled the spots yet. One family moved, the other went on mat. leave and yet another lost her job. These were all children 2.5years old and up.

Filled all but 1 spot, then lo and behold, one of my favourite families gave notice today for the end of June. They are traveling Europe in the summer and placing dcg in a private preschool to be with her older brother in September. So Now I need to fill 2 spots. The reason I'm having issues with filing the spots? I run a great program, have excellent references and a waiting list...the problem...The calls and requests I get are for infants 12 months old. A lot of mothers finishing up maternity leave. I've always steered away from infant care.

I've always had 2+ year olds. This is my favourite age group. We can do crafts, have conversations, I can run more of a preschool program. My husband has been telling me for months to start accepting more infants and I will fill up fast. So I changed my ad on Kijji and lo and behold....calls are coming in. I have 2 interviews for two 12 month olds. . I already have a 12 month old starting tomorrow. Right now my daycare children consist of an 18 month old, a 12 month old (starting tomorrow) and a 3 year old.

As it is, I will only have one almost 3 year old. He's going to be bored without any peers his own age to play with. My own 3.5 year old is starting school in September. I was hoping to get at least another child his age. I'm not sure as a parent I'd be thrilled that my child was the only eldest child in the group with no playmates. Back to twice daily naps and being chained to the house.

Please someone give me some positive feedback on caring for such little ones. I know they don't stay little for long. I do have an assistant that comes in 3x a week so that will greatly help.

Lee-Bee
06-09-2014, 07:00 PM
My group consists of five 13-18month olds right now and they are an amazing group.

Even 12month olds can learn to be pretty helpful and independent. My groups plays independently for good chunks of time. They LOVE story time were I sit and read books for a good 20minutes and they come and go but mostly sit and listen. Depending how your daycare is set up they are very helpful. For meals they all come to (or very near) their chairs and most now get themselves into their chairs and wait for me to buckle them (I have 9" chairies). When they are done and I am done cleaning up I just go around the table and remove their bibs and undo their buckles and all of them know how to reach forward, hold the table, slide their chair back and stand themselves up then run off and play (even the non-walkers have mastered this).

Point being...just because they are 12months doesn't mean they are helpless :-)

With one 3yr old it will be a bit harder...but use the morning nap time to let him do "big boy" stuff. Try to create a separate area where he can build and play without the others coming and disrupting.

And yes, it won't be that long before all your 12month olds are over age 2 :-)

I don't know how you managed to fill your spots with over 2's in the past. Almost all people who contact me are mom's coming off mat leave.

5 Little Monkeys
06-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Not gonna lie, under 18 months are my least favourite ages lol. However, they are the most in demand age so it seems like I always have at least 1 or 2 of them. ( can only have max of 2 under 2where I am) I definitely still do art with them but sometimes it needs to be modified or one on one. I now try to wean them from morning naps as soon as possible ( especially if it's summer!) but if they need one I limit it to 20-30 minutes. I practice with them on the steps and walking to make life easier. I stick to my normal routine and rules as much as possible so they catch on fairly quickly.

Having an assistant will help! My fiancé works evenings and he will help me take them in and out if I have 2 that can't walk and do the stairs yet. That alone up helps immensely!!

Ya they may not be young for long but I never understood how that pertains to dc because as soon as they are old enough to make life a bit easier it seems like another young one comes along! Lol.

You will be fine though and the crazy periods will pass and eventually you will have them at older ages and hopefully it lasts for at least a year before the next young one comes!

Wonderwiper
06-09-2014, 07:03 PM
I ONLY accept 1 year olds ha ha!!

I love starting them at this age! They are ready to be molded to my ways (evil laugh bwaa ha ha)!

Not one of them has ever napped in the morning. We do one nap after lunch and that's it! I have a six seater wagon and take them for lots of walks. I have a great set up in the back yard so they can all play independently.

My current crew has been here since my youngest was 8 months so they are all roughly 2 now. My oldest is now 4 and isn't bored at all. She loves 'leading' and helping the little ones. I'm sure she thinks they are her "alive" dolls but everyone is good with it.

CrazyEight
06-09-2014, 07:09 PM
I am like Wonderwiper, I would kill to have all little ones! I just started 2 three-year-old dcg's a little while ago, and already I am regretting it. At least they both go to school in the fall and I will only be keeping one of them as B/A school. I had a pair of siblings previously, ages 18m and 3.5, and although they were both holy terrors, I terminated mainly because of the 3yr old. I'd much rather have a guaranteed nap time (well, mostly guaranteed, lol) and children that haven't learned how to talk back yet than start kids at 2.5-3 who have already learned all kinds of bad habits.

If you were in my city, Other Mummy, I'd totally trade with you! I have been thinking about doing something like that, sort of unofficially partnering up with another provider to pass my older kids on to, and in return get any new siblings or 12-month-old referrals that come her way. If I knew of any providers around my neighbourhood that I thought I could work with, I would!

Just remember that they won't be young forever, soon your little ones will be 2 or 2.5 and full of personality and fun!

Secondtimearound
06-09-2014, 07:53 PM
I steer away from that age group too !! And enjoy the 2-3 age group !! I love planning preschool themes too and reading books and this age group seems to love it too !!! So I totally get it !! I just started with a 15 month old and was really nervous !!! But she is a dream !! Only takes the one nap , on sippy cups ! Eats well and plays excellent !!! So maybe you will be surprised too !!