PDA

View Full Version : Vacation planning

FunnyFarm
06-10-2014, 09:32 AM
I have asked my daycare families to advise me of when they are taking summer vacation this year. 2 of the families are taking time off at the same time. I am therefore thinking I will book this off as my vacation too. I normally do not charge for my vacation time. So I don't know if I should still charge my families the normal 50% rate because they booked it off first, or just advise them I'm taking it off too and they don't need to pay? hmm..... Thoughts?

Lee-Bee
06-10-2014, 09:44 AM
I would think you need to do the same for all families so if those that didn't book their holidays that week don't pay then those that booked first should not pay either. If those families with the same time off as you should choose to take additional time off they can pay the 50% it just doesn't seem fair to penalize them for booking ahead and telling you of their dates.

I made a point of booking my holidays first so the families could book their holidays at the same time (my time off is paid) rather than having their planned vacation and then weeks when I am off as well. I would recommend the same in future years!

Wonderwiper
06-10-2014, 09:46 AM
I do exactly the same as Leebee!!! I always book my time off early in the year. Then parents have the option of taking the same weeks as me.

5 Little Monkeys
06-10-2014, 11:09 AM
I would think it would be fair to not charge them if you are off the same time.

I take unpaid time off and the only time that I have gotten paid is the week or 2 of Christmas. In the past, every family has taken this time off so I have not officially closed and therefore gotten paid. I am technically not closed though so if anyone wants to send their child any of those days I am available but no one has ever done this. I don't think I will be that lucky this year though and will likely have to take it off unpaid. I charge $10 less per day they are gone so really, as long as they have a back up provider, it is cheaper for them to take holidays different that mine. Every one has grandparents that provide care so almost no one ever has to pay someone else if I am closed as their families babysit for free.