PDA

View Full Version : @admin...SPAM is driving me nuts!!

bright sparks
06-11-2014, 12:00 PM
I just need to vent. This growing occurrence in spam on the forum feed is driving me bloody crazy. Most of the time I ignore it but I hate that it bumps threads off the feed so we don't get responses. I find that it is making the site a place I don't want to come to as often. It is almost daily it seems if not at least multiple times a week that these bloody threads overpower the site. I understand that blocking these members is near impossible as each time they are posting with a new IP address and user name but is there no way these threads can be deleted as soon as they come up. I cant tell you how many times I have reported inappropriate threads to admin with zero response and they don't get deleted. There has to be a better way of handling this. Can't an admin log on each morning and do a clean sweep of all the nonsense, I'd even volunteer to do it myself to make this a better experience for all. Its bad enough when multiple real members take up the feed with separate threads for the same topic but that is not something done on purpose I am sure, but surely you can see the frustration when members log on and post asking for advice and no one ever gets to see it because its been bumped off the screen by SPAM.

Please tell me there is something that can be done about this. :mad::huh:

Fun&care
06-11-2014, 12:03 PM
I agree bright sparks!

dodge__driver11
06-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Here here :blink::blink::unsur e::unsure:

mamaof4
06-14-2014, 12:41 PM
I catch as much of it as I can. If you report it gets sent to my email and I can delete it and ban the spammer. Sometimes I miss a thread.

bright sparks
06-18-2014, 10:09 AM
I catch as much of it as I can. If you report it gets sent to my email and I can delete it and ban the spammer. Sometimes I miss a thread.

Thanks for your response but I am sick and tired of this nonsense, something needs to be done to PREVENT this when it is to the extent of things now. How about a 24 hour clearance period to have someone look at a member who is trying to register so their IP address can be checked out and somehow verify if in fact this is a daycare provider or a real person. This is not minor anymore and I am furious...can you tell? How do I get in touch with the people in charge? After all mamaof4, I understand you are just a moderator and really don't have any control or say over the website and how it is run.

bright sparks
06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Most other boards I've been on have a set period of time that a new user's posts are moderated, and it works well to weed out the spammers.

If you look though, the spammers aren't posting ongoing. They post one or two at the same time and then that's the last you see of them. Obviously they re-register to post the next lot of crap on our forum with a different name and I imagine if they are using different IP addresses then it makes it very difficult to block them. That being said, I am just about done with the site now as a result. Activity is already substantially less in the last 6 months or so since a lot of long time members up and left due to drama, so the last thing I want is for the little activity that is left to be tainted by this nonsense which is popping up multiple times and daily. :cursing:

2cuteboys
06-18-2014, 11:55 AM
I admit the spamming has discouraged me from coming on as much as I used to as well!

bright sparks
06-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Which is why moderating works so well. Their messages aren't posted unless a moderator clears them, so they're blocked/ banned the first time they try to post spam and no one else on the board ever sees it :)

Sorry major brain fart....thats exactly what I was trying to say in a previous post. That is what needs to happen. Its the only way we can get things under control.

Fun&care
06-18-2014, 12:48 PM
I admit the spamming has discouraged me from coming on as much as I used to as well!

Same here. It's really super annoying.

bright sparks
06-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Same here. It's really super annoying.

And this thread just got bumped by spam...someone who posted a few hours ago too...so thanks ADMIN for doing your job of deleting and blocking them!!!!!

Wonderwiper
06-18-2014, 02:36 PM
It's a free forum. Doesn't bother me. Don't open them....it's obvious when it's garbage. Newest example, box office movie under pregnancy heading? Not that hard to ignore. Free forums have very minimal supervision, a mod is not going to sit all day waiting to snag a spammer. Would you?

IMO people come to the forum less because it's the same stuff rehashed over and over.

bright sparks
06-18-2014, 04:32 PM
It's a free forum. Doesn't bother me. Don't open them....it's obvious when it's garbage. Newest example, box office movie under pregnancy heading? Not that hard to ignore. Free forums have very minimal supervision, a mod is not going to sit all day waiting to snag a spammer. Would you?

IMO people come to the forum less because it's the same stuff rehashed over and over.

So because it's free it is okay is it? For morons to constantly spam? My issue is with the fact that when someone posts for advice their thread gets bumped off the home screen and they get no response. Just because something is free doesn't mean it should be of poor quality and that kind of opinion and attitude are part of the problem and reason things end up going to the dogs because people roll over and do nothing about it. It's like saying I only paid a dollar for my coffee so it's okay that it's less than mediocre. If a service isn't good then what's the point? This forum should be a pleasant experience for all and if it's sole purpose of being a forum for daycare providers and parents about childcare is suffering because spammers are constantly invading the space and causing people's threads to go unnoticed then that's just not okay. Am I supposed to just roll over and allow this to go on? So if someone "volunteers" their time to moderate the forums and isn't willing to go the distance then someone else needs to do it. If you can't do something properly don't do it at all. People come to the forum less because of all the drama Wonderwiper.....whic h hasn't been an issue of late. Less activity because members have left not just reduced the frequency in which they come due to repetitiveness.

5 Little Monkeys
06-18-2014, 05:27 PM
You seem really annoyed at this Bright, so please don't bite my head off!!! LOL

However, this is my 2 cents.....as much as the spam threads are annoying, I don't really get why it's a big deal? I just click "new posts" and the posts I haven't read yet, pop up. I have a bit of OCD so I don't like to see the spam threads in bold so I click on it, see it's spam and than go back to the previous page and keep reading the new threads until I am done.

I haven't really explored this site though so maybe I am missing threads and don't even realize it?

I haven't seen much drama on here but I do agree with wonderwiper. In the short time I've been a part of this forum, I have seen many threads on the same topic. I am guilty myself of starting a topic that's probably been over done too though so I understand how/why it happens. I still really enjoy the site and the spam threads don't stop me from coming to it.

bright sparks
06-18-2014, 05:51 PM
You seem really annoyed at this Bright, so please don't bite my head off!!! LOL

However, this is my 2 cents.....as much as the spam threads are annoying, I don't really get why it's a big deal? I just click "new posts" and the posts I haven't read yet, pop up. I have a bit of OCD so I don't like to see the spam threads in bold so I click on it, see it's spam and than go back to the previous page and keep reading the new threads until I am done.

I haven't really explored this site though so maybe I am missing threads and don't even realize it?

I haven't seen much drama on here but I do agree with wonderwiper. In the short time I've been a part of this forum, I have seen many threads on the same topic. I am guilty myself of starting a topic that's probably been over done too though so I understand how/why it happens. I still really enjoy the site and the spam threads don't stop me from coming to it.

I'm really frustrated to be honest. I first hand have had threads go unnoticed due to spam so it really does drive me crazy. I also find it frustrating that people are like so what it's no big deal. That's fine you don't have to agree with me but I don't have to be quiet about it if I disagree with others opinions towards the matter. It's not personal to anyone just me venting away. I've been here since it started and within the last 6 to 12 months we have lost many original members and there have undoubtably been trouble causers on here and there are certain members who ONLY comment negatively and are harsh about it when they do.....I can look past that because we are all human and aren't going to see eye to eye all the time but this spam issue has me worked up as it's a much worse problem now. If it wasnt growing in frequency and only occasional then I could have my little temper tantrum and move on but it's really ticking me off. I am happy that it isn't effecting your quality experience here 5LM but I am also not the only one annoyed at things.

5 Little Monkeys
06-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Oh I totally get how you are annoyed at it. We all have things that annoy us! :) Just like you are voicing your opinion on the matter, so am I and others.

I guess I'm just confused....I don't understand how threads are going unnoticed? Like I said, I haven't explored the site much as I just click "new posts" so I could be missing threads and not notice. How would I know if I'm missing threads I guess is my question?

bright sparks
06-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Oh I totally get how you are annoyed at it. We all have things that annoy us! :) Just like you are voicing your opinion on the matter, so am I and others.

I guess I'm just confused....I don't understand how threads are going unnoticed? Like I said, I haven't explored the site much as I just click "new posts" so I could be missing threads and not notice. How would I know if I'm missing threads I guess is my question?

I suppose I just go off the most recent threads at the top right hand corner in the box.....maybe I need to change the way I go about using the website to prevent further frustrations!

mamaof4
06-18-2014, 08:22 PM
I totally get the irritation. I don't like searching through to find all the spam either. However- I do not know what our version of the software is capable of- at the very least I will email our admin and ask what they think of it.

bright sparks
06-18-2014, 08:28 PM
I totally get the irritation. I don't like searching through to find all the spam either. However- I do not know what our version of the software is capable of- at the very least I will email our admin and ask what they think of it.

Thank you so much...there were 4 posts today by the same spammer Oh my goodness lol

5 Little Monkeys
06-18-2014, 08:36 PM
I suppose I just go off the most recent threads at the top right hand corner in the box.....maybe I need to change the way I go about using the website to prevent further frustrations!

OHHH okay, gotcha!! Yes, that makes sense as to how the threads are getting pushed down. Try the "new posts" thing and see if that works better. It works well for me. No point in having high blood pressure over spammers lol :)

I used to use the right hand corner to click on new threads but it opens it up in a new window and that annoys me lol. I get your frustration haha

bright sparks
06-18-2014, 08:55 PM
OHHH okay, gotcha!! Yes, that makes sense as to how the threads are getting pushed down. Try the "new posts" thing and see if that works better. It works well for me. No point in having high blood pressure over spammers lol :)

I used to use the right hand corner to click on new threads but it opens it up in a new window and that annoys me lol. I get your frustration haha

LOL I'm a bit calmer now haha, had a bit of a bee in my bonnet before but now I'm trying to keep my wits about me as I have to finish my admissions letter tonight and need to keep the tone I write in balanced, no big dramatic ending because I am all wound up lol Not sure that would do me any favours...after all I'm not applying to the dramatic arts ;)

5 Little Monkeys
06-18-2014, 08:58 PM
LOL, no that wouldn't be good!!

Good luck with your letter!!!

mamaof4
06-18-2014, 11:06 PM
FWIW I deleted those threads and banned that member

Dreamalittledream
06-19-2014, 10:09 AM
And...they're baaack;)

mamaof4
06-19-2014, 11:16 AM
I think I got all of the new spammers/but if I missed one let me know. I also messaged the admin.

bright sparks
06-19-2014, 11:22 AM
I think I got all of the new spammers/but if I missed one let me know. I also messaged the admin.

Thanks mamaof4...please do let me know what they come back with. I do hope they have some plan of action on how to improve this aspect of the forum. I appreciate you passing on my/our concerns :)

mamaof4
06-19-2014, 05:47 PM
I'll update as soon as I can

FunnyFarm
07-01-2014, 12:57 PM
so frustrating I think for admin when there are so many spamers out there! I notice again today there are alot. thanks for doing what you can to keep it down! I love connecting with all the other providers. It makes me feel like I'm not alone ;) Cheers.

admin
07-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks you for your patience. We had a new wave of spam today. They thought that we'd let our guard down for Canada day... :cursing:

Anyways... They all originated from the same Internet Service Provider in India, which is now banned from accessing the website (it wasn't on our list yet... :o)...

mamaof4
07-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Sorry I was not able to get online yesterday, we had no power- a tornado came through our area June 30. Thankfully, we are all ok, minimal damage, and now our power is back!

cfred
07-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Oh gawd....do NOT apologize for not getting to it in any circumstance Mamaof4! Not only does a tornado and power outage trump spammers, but so does having a family and a life. We appreciate your efforts and will survive through spammers. I'm sure you're doing the best you can. Glad everyone's ok and intact :)

kindertime
10-05-2016, 05:18 AM
Thanks you for your patience. We had a new wave of spam today. They thought that we'd let our guard down for Canada day... :cursing:

Anyways... They all originated from the same Internet Service Provider in India, which is now banned from accessing the website (it wasn't on our list yet... :o)...

Okay, so this is an old thread, but it seems relevant. The solution seemed to be then to block that particular ISP. So... is it possible now too?

bright sparks
10-05-2016, 08:58 AM
Okay, so this is an old thread, but it seems relevant. The solution seemed to be then to block that particular ISP. So... is it possible now too?

The most recent increase in spam is from repeat offenders in some cases, not a single poster but multiple. Additionally, I think one of the most significant barriers to handling this in a timely fashion, which it currently is not in my opinion, is that it would appear that the site only has 1 admin or moderator. A lot to expect from one individual.

This needs to be handled differently. Nobody ever got back to us on how things would be handled moving forward, and here we are again, where it appears, for the most part, it is not being handled at all. The number of active members has dropped significantly and I think this is a huge turn off for many, me included.

Suzie_Homemaker
10-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Other forum I belong with have 5 day posting delay after create account. And if more than 3 threads reported in the new members initial months, account removed. Is something like that possible? With block IP address too?

kindertime
10-05-2016, 12:59 PM
The most recent increase in spam is from repeat offenders in some cases, not a single poster but multiple. Additionally, I think one of the most significant barriers to handling this in a timely fashion, which it currently is not in my opinion, is that it would appear that the site only has 1 admin or moderator. A lot to expect from one individual.

This needs to be handled differently. Nobody ever got back to us on how things would be handled moving forward, and here we are again, where it appears, for the most part, it is not being handled at all. The number of active members has dropped significantly and I think this is a huge turn off for many, me included.

The posts that have different titles and are posted by different user names but contain only a link, or multiple links to (usually) sporting events, are most probably the same person or at least the same group who want to drive traffic to their site. I still think barring new members from posting links would take care of this particular problem. I have seen this used on other forums. (Not daycare forums though) I do agree though, it is a turn off for many people.

Van
10-05-2016, 04:43 PM
yes I agree
I want this to be on top of all the spam that are there today so admin can see it and I hope they can do something about

admin
10-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! We're looking into this but it's a cat and mouse game :)

ebhappydc
06-17-2017, 01:44 PM
Damn spam. It's stealing our forum.

kindredspirit
06-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Agreed! I haven't even checked it in days, because every time I do-the recent post box is filled with spam and I can't see legit posts.

Van
06-21-2017, 12:43 AM
It is sooo annoying - and this thread was posted back in JUNE 2014 , 3 YEARS AGO AND IT IS STILL HAPPENING!!!!!

mamaof4
06-24-2017, 01:37 PM
I am sincerely sorry, I spent a few weeks in the ICU here and I wasn't checking in here. I think I've banned all the spammers

ebhappydc
06-24-2017, 03:22 PM
I am sincerely sorry, I spent a few weeks in the ICU here and I wasn't checking in here. I think I've banned all the spammers

Good Lord. Hope all is well again. Thanks for all your extra effort.