PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Ottawa!

Nancy
09-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Or rather Nepean/Barrhaven? lol

I'm Nancy, mom of 4 children ages 3, 5, 7 and 9. I had been thinking of doing in home childcare for the past couple of years but had wanted to wait until my youngest was in junior kindergarten (she started 2 weeks ago). I have experience caring for neighbours/friends children on a part time as needed basis. I absolutely adore caring for little ones so I am hoping to get some babies/toddlers in my care.

I've only just started advertising today so hopefully I start getting calls/emails soon. :unsure: Although I'm very good with children, I need to get more confidence in myself :)

Nancy

playfelt
09-23-2011, 06:48 AM
Hi Nancy, I am in Orleans. A good place to start is with the CCPRN - childcare providers resource network. They have info on getting started, offer workshops and trainings and supports along the way. Well worth the $25 a year to join - which remember is tax deductable for your business. They offer a new caregiver workshop on getting started in home daycare that might be a good fit for you. The website is at http://www.ccprn.com I have a couple feltboard workshops I am giving for them coming up on Oct 2 and Nov 13. I think we do have a couple members in this forum that are from your area.

Play and Learn
09-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Hello Nancy!

Playfelt gave you a great website to join. Also, before you accept anyone, please make sure you have a manual and contract ready! And don't accept just any family - be picky! If you need any help with a manual or wording, please PM me. I'd love to help!

Nancy
09-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Hi! Thanks for the warm welcome :) I registered with the CCPRN in August and took their New Member Orientation but am just waiting for the New Caregiver Workshop to be offered. I'd love any advice you can offer about contracts and manual/handbooks :)

playfelt
09-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Mostly for contracts just be sure to spell out anything that you don't want to argue over such as the hours you will work, how much you will charge, if the parents pay for days off, vacation, etc. Take advantage of when the CCPRN office is open and look on their resource wall. There are sample contracts and great books that you can sign out that will have ideas in them too.