PDA

View Full Version : So quiet you can hear the crickets chirping

Other Mummy
07-07-2014, 06:45 AM
Please tell me that it's normal in the summer to have such a lax in daycare inquiries and registrations. I've never had a turnover in the spring/summer so never really experienced trying to fill spots over the summer. This summer I've seen drops in numbers with the other providers in my area as well.

Is summer usually slow or is it my area?? Please tell me it will pick up in September/Autumn?

CrazyEight
07-07-2014, 07:17 AM
I find September is the best time to find clients, school-agers obviously, but for some reason, younger children as well. I have 2 spots open then, with one of them open now, but my guess is I won't fill them until September. Good luck!

5 Little Monkeys
07-07-2014, 08:37 AM
I also find September to be the month most parents are looking for care for. I have a spot open right now and am anticipating it to be open for a bit....because it's summer and because it's for an over 2 year old.....ugh!!

Guess I'm going back to budgeting and couponing! lol

Hope you fill your spot soon!!

playfelt
07-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Things tend to pick up in August. A lot use extra vacation or even take extra unpaid time to get their maternity leave to last the whole summer and then come August it hits them they really should get care lined up. For Oct/Nov starts closer to the beginning of Sept for inquiries too. What you will get a lot of over the summer is requests for school age from parents afraid if they haven't heard about the school based program or have been told they are on the wait list. Be very careful of this as once a space comes open they will leave.

5 Little Monkeys
07-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Oohhhh fingers crossed! I have a meeting today at 330 for a child who is 3!

I go on holidays next week so would love to have the spot filled before then.

Lou
07-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Spring and Fall are my busy inquiry times!

Secondtimearound
07-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Good luck 5lm !!!!!! I think summer is slow for sure !!! kids go on vacations or stay with grandparents , hoping you fill right up on September !!!

daycaremom9
07-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Please tell me that it's normal in the summer to have such a lax in daycare inquiries and registrations. I've never had a turnover in the spring/summer so never really experienced trying to fill spots over the summer. This summer I've seen drops in numbers with the other providers in my area as well.

Is summer usually slow or is it my area?? Please tell me it will pick up in September/Autumn?

I usually lose a couple of kids at least in the summer. I tend to get more enquiries in the summer which I've had but mostly just looky loos, so far. I feel like you but my hubby reminds me that I always fill up by the end of summer. Good luck other mummy I'm sure you'll fill up as well.

5 Little Monkeys
07-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Interview went well. Now hopefully I hear a yes back from her!!