PDA

View Full Version : B/A School spots

SFDC
07-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Hello all,

Just want some opinions on how to deal with before/After school spots, do they count in my numbers, how does that all work?

Thanks,

SFDC

CrazyEight
07-11-2014, 11:59 AM
They count if they are under the age of 10, under the current laws. I don't believe that will change if the new bill passes, although I may have read somewhere that the age would increase to 13? Maybe someone else on here can confirm that for me...

Many providers don't offer B/A school care, as they lose money and the children eat more. I do, only because I have 2 school-age children myself, so I am already doing the school run with all the kids every day, and b) full-time children are VERY hard to come by here, and my B/A school child came with a full-time little brother, so it was worth it to me to take them both. It also provides a bit of an easier day most of the time, since he is only here for an hour in the morning and an hour and a half in the afternoons.

Parents usually expect B/A school rates to be super low because of how little the kids are here, but what they don't understand is unless you can find a younger child that only needs care during school hours, you are losing money holding that spot empty during the school day. Older kids also eat a TON, which is coming out of the little pay you do get for the child.

CrazyEight
07-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Just checked, if you are in Ontario and the new Bill 10 passes, daycare children will count until age 13, not 10.