View Full Version : Allergies

07-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Had a DCB's parent come to me twice this week saying he went home with a rash around his mouth and needed benedryl. The first time I gave him a freezie (never had one at daycare before but I find it hard to believe he's never had one before at all) this time I gave the kids gushers (those betty crocker snacks) as a treat. Apparently it happened again, although I did not notice that at pick up (dad says it was already there). Parents said they try to keep it all natural although admit to giving him gummies and dad comes in with these large polish corn puff things to give to the kids.

I'e had this boy for close to two years. He's had gushers before and no reaction. Dad says its too early to take him for allergy testing when I suggested it.

I'm not sure what is causing this reaction all of the sudden and without allergy testing I cant be sure what is causing it.

I'm really not sure what to do here. IT's summer . . . and kids et freezies in summer and I do give everyone fun treats now and then . . do I just exclude this kid from anything non-natural from this point on?

07-16-2014, 07:59 AM
I would keep a log if what you feed and then mark what days he gets a reaction. It won't take long to figure out what is causing it. If it is the freezies why not make your own Popsicles instead - maybe it is the dye in the store bought ones which the gushers would also have.

07-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Allergies are really weird! If he's been with you two years than he's at least 2 years old and NOT too young to be tested. My daughter was tested for peanut allergy at 19 months. I also have daycare boy who is allergic to many things. I told his mom he needed to be tested and come back with an Epipen when he was 1.

If they are concerned they need to get him tested....not just imply that something you gave him caused a reaction.

07-16-2014, 08:04 AM
I found this great product at walmart. It is a cup you keep in the freezer. You can fill it with orange juice and in a few minutes you have a slushie. I put the slushie in small bowls and the kids love it! You can find them in the seasonal section for about $13.00.
With food allergies they will sometimes show immediately and other times it can cause symptoms the next day so I would recommend like mickyc to keep a food log.

07-16-2014, 08:08 AM
I'll keep a log and talk to the parents again about testing. I wouldnt want to cause a severe reaction one of these days by giving him something that he's had here numerous times

thanks guys

I didn't think it was too early for testing either.

07-16-2014, 08:18 AM
To be honest, I would not give the kid the treats until he is tested. A log is great but with food allergies there is no way to know if a reaction will just be hives or progress to something more serious. He's already had mild reactions to something twice, that's enough for me to not want to chance it again.

07-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Sounds like an allergy to certain food colour. Red dye is a more common allergy (which is also in some other colours). I would try giving him the white freezies as they would have less colouring. Keep the food log. Check him head to toe for a rash a few minutes before pick-up and report the findings each day so they know you are looking.

Allergies do and can show up at random times, with something that was previously perfectly fine for the child...so move forward cautiously until you pinpoint what is going on. If you want maybe ask the family to take a picture of the rash if it appears again so you know what they are seeing since you've yet to see it. Tell them it will help you identify it when you see it and to know what you are working with.

5 Little Monkeys
07-18-2014, 10:50 PM
I agree with lee bee and was going to say maybe it is a reaction to red food dye. I was also going to mention that a lot of food allergies are from foods that the child/adult has had numerous times before.

I would also keep a food log and ask the parents to do so as well. They should also be taking him to the doctor when the rash is present as the doctor would know more and be able to offer help/insight.

07-21-2014, 03:46 PM
I have found allergies can just happen , not allergic to anything then show sensitivity . My first thought was allergy to the cold ( with the freezie, but wouldn't explain the gushers ) I mix apple juice and water for Popsicles , although 3 yr old dcb told me today my snacks aren't fun ! Lol , I think I have been focused on healthy I haven't really thought about how kids view snacks . I'm thinking maybe it's their way of controlling your snacks as a two yr old could get a rash numerous ways ! Slobbering , licking lips ect ,