PDA

View Full Version : Budgeting for equipment

zen39
09-29-2011, 11:00 AM
I was just curious if anyone budgets a certain percentage monthly/yearly to be used towards purchasing equipment. For example, I was speaking with another DP and she says she sets aside $1/day per child to purchase equipment. She cares for 4 kids, so as an estimate she says that she has about $90 per month to go towards something. If it's not new toys, books she'll save and it apply it later to something she wants to get for her dayhome, such as a child friendly table.

Do any of you do this and if so, how much do you budget?

Thanks

playfelt
09-29-2011, 02:07 PM
We are able to manage without having all five children's money so I budget the money from one of the children and set it aside for everything. That also means when my numbers are way down there are no new things. I have pretty much everything I could possibly need including 5 highchairs and 4 packnplays so at this point money is just for replacement. But trying to manage your household expenses with only half of the number of children you are allowed to care for is a nice goal to work towards. That way it isn't as bad when that is all you have in care and when you have more you feel a little more free to get what you want.

Skysue
09-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Do you provide the pack N plays? I get the parents to provide!

playfelt
09-29-2011, 06:18 PM
I provide the packnplays and all the bedding and launder it. I have had too many people over the years visit a thrift shop to pick up an extra playpen and ask me to let their child sleep in it. The problem is that even though the parent provides it I am still legally responsible for the child in it. I like to know what I am using has not been abused.

waterloo day mom
09-30-2011, 07:19 AM
I put all of my cheques from parents into a company account, then take out a portion as a paycheque for myself. 30% is left in the account (20% as a buffer for taxes and 10% for daycare supplies). That way when I go to buy more glue, toys, stroller, etc I'm spending daycare money not my money. I use this for everything from gifts for the kids to craft materials, to new toys or equipment.

As for Pack n plays, I got all of mine for about $20 each on kijiji.