PDA

View Full Version : Ho-hum, back to the grind again!

mom-in-alberta
10-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Wow, did September fly by.... :)
After my daughter's late arrival (by 6 days) we are starting up again on Monday, with a 2 week old! I was hoping she would have come on time, so that I could have had that extra week, but what can you do?
I did find out, though that I will only have one full-timer and one of my part-timers, at first anyway. I called my other full-timer yesterday and got the "oh, gosh; we meant to call you a couple weeks ago...." speech. Hey, thanks for the 2 DAYS notice!! Technically I could have demanded payment anyway, since I didn't get the 30 days called for. But I was not totally shocked, so I just wished them well and said goodbye.
Nice that people don't even think about the fact that they just removed a third of my income without a heads up, huh?

mamaof4
10-03-2011, 08:17 AM
congratulations! Sorry for the rough welcome back, that stinks!

Sandbox Sally
10-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Congrats on your daughter!! I would make them pay if it's in your contract. No notice.

Spixie33
10-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Congratulations on your new baby. I hope the transition goes smoothly. I have no idea how parents who have newborns still manage to run their home daycare. That is amazing...I have days where I can barely do it and my kids are 6 and 4 lol

mlc1982
10-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Congrats and welcome back! As Spixie said, I don't know how people do it with a newborn. My second DD was 6 mths when I started and I thought that was rough. Unfortunate due to income, but at least you can (hopefully) transition smoothly with having just a couple kids back.

Nifer
10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Congrats on your baby girl!
Let me know how you do it! I am expecting my second in June (son will be 2 in Jan) and am not sure how i will manage :s lol. I plan on taking a month off and hubby plans on taking a few off.
Hope everything goes well for you.

playfelt
10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Congratulations on you new baby girl.

Makes you think this family had been planning this right along almost from the time you announced your pregnancy. She meant to call you two weeks ago... sounds more like she never intended to call.

momplus6
10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Thats to bad they didn't give you notice people can be soo rude and selfish! What can you do though you could try to ask for a couple weeks worth of pay(I probably wouldn't bother). Good luck with your new addition I only took the week I had my daughter off my Mom came to stay the next week to help me out but I did only have a girl plus my son in half day kindergarten and then a boy after school only so not to much work. I had her at the beggining of June though so was able to only work part of the summer I think I had the kids two weeks in July and then three weeks in August. It was nice with the older kids as they didn't require as much care and honestly with my second child I recovered way faster. Have Fun and Congrats on the new addition!! Are you planning to fill your other spot in the future then?

horsegirl
10-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Congratulations!!! It might be worth your while to have a policy in your contract with the parents stating that you require 1 months notice on or before the 1st of the month with termination starting on the first of the following month. If they are late getting the letter to you then they pay for the extra month. One of the daycares I know of had the same situation happen to her and she took the parents to small claims court. It cost her very little and with $900. owing to her it was worth her while. Her contract stood up in court and the parents had to pay her $900. plus the cost of hiring a substitute caregiver for the day she was at court.:thumbsup:
Even having this in the contract will make parents take notice and hopefully this does not happen again.

mom-in-alberta
10-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone! :)
My newest has been a good baby, (so far, lol), and that makes it easier. The trickiest thing is feeding her on demand right now. (We ended up with a mild case of thrush, and then I came down with a mastitis infection, so no fun. Ugh...
Having this one family leave was a blessing in disguise, I think. It has been a pretty easy day with just my one full timer. Then I will have a part timer 6 days a month. I don't think I will fill the spot immediately. I am not worried about being able to fill it, as I have had people tell me they are interested anyway.
I am not sure when they decided not to come back, as this is the family that was flip-flopping back and forth. Something tells me that they knew before Saturday, though!! As I said, I COULD demand payment based on the terms of my contract... but I don't want to. Good bye and good riddance!