PDA

View Full Version : Unreliable Clients

CrazyEight
07-29-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm just frustrated. I have upped my rates, written a very professional ad, done everything I can think of to weed out the "crazies" but I still end up with such flaky potential clients. I had an interview a few weeks ago with a young couple that seemed pretty decent, then they brought their daughter back for a second interview the next week, we all agreed it would be a good fit. She was to start in September and would have filled my last spot. She had great hours, was the age I was looking for, and was a sweet sweet kid.

Last night I emailed mom to make arrangements for a playdate with my own kids to get the little girl used to them and for mom to return my signed contract and deposit. She informs me that she and dad have split up, but she'll still need full-time care because she's still going to school. She says she has my forms and cheque ready to go, we set up a time next week. I am a bit shocked but she assures me nothing has changed, daycare-wise.

Now I just receive an email from mom saying that "because of everything going on right now," (whatever that means...) dad's mom now has temporary custody of the little girl, so she won't need any daycare.

WHAT?? How do you go from (seemingly) happily engaged, to split up, to giving up custody to your now-ex mother in law in a WEEK?

I hope it works out for them, but why oh why do I always get the flakes??

This isn't the first time I've seen parents completely turn their kids' worlds upside-down. I had a little girl leave suddenly last month after only being here 6 weeks, because mom was leaving fiancé, moving back across the province, and becoming engaged to another guy! I feel so bad for these kids with no stability...

And now back to the drawing board...

Ugh just needed to get that out.

SillyGirl_C
07-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Whoa. I am a little speechless. 1 week???
Only consolation I can provide is that the crazies come out in every business. I had a person issue a complaint because a bird pooped on her car....which was parked in a parking lot....outdoors...

5 Little Monkeys
07-29-2014, 01:24 PM
LOL silly girl....That's fantastic! That made me laugh out loud for real

Crazy8...that sucks!! I agree, how does your world turn that upside down in just a week!? Hope you fill the spot quick!

Secondtimearound
07-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Well I too share the ability to draw out the weird ones ! I had two dcks who's mom went from engaged , to restraining order , new daddy , old daddy , new daddy and I only had them for 5 months !!!
I say keep your prices up , it weeds out most ! Lol

mickyc
07-29-2014, 06:39 PM
ha ha Secondtimearound. I agree. One reason I refuse to go licenced with subsidy! lol

Rachael
09-01-2014, 01:06 PM
I think we've all had those instances where we thought a place was filled only for that not to happen.

I weed out the crazies too and I know I reduce my potential client pool considerably based on it. If my criteria wasn't so harsh, I'd fill my places faster for sure but I want good fit clients not just bums on seats.

I tend to phone interview first as that eliminates those who think my hours and rates are negotiable. I also decline mature students who likely will cancel May to September. I won't take teachers children unless they agree to pay throughout the summer - they are welcome to still send their children of course, but none of the pulling for summer and expecting to return when school starts up again.

Once a phone interview has gone well, only then do I do one in person so they can see the setup here. Parents are told, that if they want a place, I need the deposit and contract within a week. No contract, no deposit, = no place.

I require one month paid cancellation notice - so once they have given me a contract and deposit, if their situation changes, they have a full 4 weeks fees to pay. Of course, I've waivered that in some instances - usually if I've filled the place before they were due to start but if their change of mind leaves me out of pocket, then at least I can change if I need to. It does make parents think about if this is really what they want and I've found it eliminates the time-wasters.