PDA

View Full Version : *sigh*

auntiem26
07-30-2014, 11:56 AM
I have a little guy who only sleeps max 45 minutes a day. It makes for a VERY long day :thumbdown:

dodge__driver11
07-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Personally I would let him sleep the 45, and leave him in the quiet area until your designated time is over, you need your break, and so does he! :)

auntiem26
07-30-2014, 12:27 PM
He just turned a year old, so to leave him in a quiet area would just result in screaming. I just suck it up!!

dodge__driver11
07-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Well then I guess we agree to disagree, as this is not something I would do:)

Lee-Bee
07-30-2014, 12:55 PM
45min is one typical sleep cycle. It is not the end of a nap. He is waking up after a cycle and realizing he isn't at home so isn't going right back to sleep. leave him. he will soon sleep longer. this was the hardest thing for me to learn...once I stopped going in they quickly started waking up, rolling over and going back to sleep.

mickyc
07-30-2014, 12:58 PM
I once had a 1 year old with the same issue. I knew it was because he slept during the commute to and from daycare everyday and went to bed fairly early every night as well. I asked his parents to try and keep him awake during their commute and they couldn't believe I expected them to try and keep a tired child awake! I was very annoyed. I would go get him up after he woke up and would lay him on the couch close to me. He would at least lay there quietly for the last hour of nap time although awake. I ended up only having him for 3 months and was happy when they gave their notice (went to a centre). I changed how I did things with every child from then on. I leave them in bed and they must stay there. If they cry then so be it. I usually separate the kids into 2 nap rooms. Any that tend to wake early go in a different room from the rest. I know have them all in one room while my basement is under construction and I invested in a video baby monitor. I still leave them in their playpen if they wake early. Luckily this group is pretty good. I have 1 that sometimes wakes half hour early but I leave him in there but he doesn't scream or cry.

5 Little Monkeys
07-30-2014, 01:13 PM
When they don't have a great sleep, it's very frustrating! I feel for you!

I do think the CIO method works but a typical nap here is 2-2.5 hours so I am like you, there is no way I'd leave a crying child in their quiet area for that long. I don't think too many parents would be happy with that length of time either. If they are awake but quiet, it's a different story.

How long have you tried to let him CIO in the past? If he's napping for 45 mins, I'd be inclined to leave him for 15-20 mins and see if he falls back asleep. If he doesn't, I'd get him and have books or wooden puzzles for him to quietly play with until nap is over. Very little talking to him though so that he doesn't sleep shorter periods in hopes of getting up and having fun.

I'm a firm believer that we need a kid free break but I don't feel 2 hours is needed if a child is up and crying. Each to their own though, you will find what works best for you and the children currently in your care.

Hope he starts to sleep longer for you!

auntiem26
07-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Ive left him for half an hour once, to cry it out, but I cant in good conscience let a one year old scream in his playpen for another hour, while I do what I want. I have two small children as well, and would be outraged if that happened to them!

Thanks for all of the advise, I really just wanted to vent to people who know what I am going through!

Secondtimearound
07-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Hmmm I'm in the middle , I do not like leaving any child screaming but I know if a child figures out he /she can scream and get up , I don't like either . I had a horrible napper and I did let her CIO , and she did !!
After 3 days of letting her she started laying back down and would take the required nap , of 2 hrs ( only one nap though ) I would just walk in , lay her down and walk out , non stop . I didn't want her to be afraid but couldn't handle a 16 month old with a 35 min nap all day . That was my only experience with a child who screamed instead of sleeping .