PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time filling my spot!

lori123
10-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi everyone,

It seems if I had any luck, it would be bad! I can't seem to find one more child to complete my daycare. I am posting on Craiglist, Kijiji, here, godaycare, daycare canada and having zero luck. Its crazy on Kijiji at the moment, I have to repost my ads, two - three times a day to keep it on the first three or four pages of ads for watching children. I lost two children in June (both teacher mom's off for the summer and having baby #2), managed to refill one spot but am still looking for one more child.

Has anyone else feel like its been a slow period for them? It seems when I do get an interview, it falls through because either a parent loses their job, shifts change or grandparents are stepping up to watch their children, instead of coming here. Sighs, I just feel like its never going to happen! LOL, and then all I have had are the weirdos calling (re:creepy phonecalls thread!) and that just made me feel terrible!

Something has to change, right? right??? Sorry to vent, just frustrated - there must be a child out there that needs me! Argh, signed, frustrated in Brampton

Play and Learn
10-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Very slow period! For others in my area, they're finding it ok. There's just no teachers' looking for care in my area!!!!

Just be patient. Someone perfect will come soon enough!

lori123
10-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi P&L, do you only take teachers? they are the best, aren't they though? amazing hours! i do hope someone comes to my door sooner than later, sometimes it pours and you have to turn people away completely and its so frustrating when no one turns up! *fingers crossed in Brampton* thanks for the boost, Lori

horsegirl
10-03-2011, 02:14 PM
It seems to be a sign of the times lately. With the economy doing so poorly a lot of parents are getting help from grandparents or friends.
I started filling my daycare by dropping off notices at schools, churches, rec. centres, doctors and dental offices in the area. I made a point of taking the children I had to the grocery store with me and talking to customers that were shopping with children. I would tell them about my daycare and hand out business cards. The more I was seen in the area the more calls I got for daycare. I would go to the schools at the end of the day and meet with parents and other caregivers picking up from the school. I'd hand out my cards and let them know that I had space for children.
We formed a networking group with other daycares in our area and soon we were referring to each other. The more you are out in the public the more chance you have of increasing your business. We have a resource and referral program offered by the province and I registered with them as well. Being a licensed daycare seems to help fill my spaces, as parents seem to prefer the regulated daycares to the non licensed ones.

Hang in there hopefully the economy picks up soon and business will get better.

Play and Learn
10-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi P&L, do you only take teachers? they are the best, aren't they though? amazing hours! i do hope someone comes to my door sooner than later, sometimes it pours and you have to turn people away completely and its so frustrating when no one turns up! *fingers crossed in Brampton* thanks for the boost, Lori

I try to take teachers or families with great support systems. I take up to 10 weeks of holidays/year! And I only work 7:30-5, but would LOVE to change it to 7:45-4:30!!!!

What I've done, and will continue to do (because we know that when it rains, it pours) is to have a waiting list. I'll interview the families, and if I do like a particular family, but just don't have the space for them, I'll ask if they would like to be put on my waiting list.

It worked once for me, as one family pulled with no warning, and then I called the family on the waiting list, and they started the next week!

horsegirl
10-03-2011, 02:27 PM
I agree waiting lists they work well. It has worked for me in the past and I continue to keep the list. I phone the parents monthly and let them know if I have or am expecting a space to come open. They appreciate this and if I do not get a space I will call a few other caregivers and find them a spot.

Skysue
10-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi,

Sometimes I think if people see you updating your ad all the time to the top, like on Kijiji.ca it resets the number of hits off and people think something just maybe wrong with your space etc...
It sends a message of desperation.

What is your top line? Something like only one full time space left starting Nov 1st! May catch the eye of someone with less pressure.

As a parent who was on the search a few years back if I saw ad's frequently I really though why can't they fill there spaces.

I do know its really competative right now but refresh it once a week and trust me people will call. Put the word out to all your daycare parents that your looking to fill one more spot and if they know of anyone. Word of mouth really is our best tool!

Good luck!

I'm looking to fill one more spot too and I'm hoping for a great interview tomorrow night, that's if the parents show as they re scheduled last week! :)

Skysue
10-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Lori,

Well I just wanted to pour it all out to let you know I know exactly how your feeling. Times are really rough for me right now! I have 2 DCK's starting next month and boy has it been a stuggle to stay a float this past month. I just got stood up tonight for an interview and it sucks! All it takes is a phone call.:(

All I need as well is to fill one more space and its soooo hard to find an older child. To fill my ratio I am really hoping for a 2 year old plus!

I just re-posted my ad on kijiji for the week! This seems to be the only site I have luck on!

Good luck to you & I just want you to know you are not alone!

Hugs

A.K.A Desperado

lori123
10-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Ugh. Those awful phone calls where "your services are no longer required" are just down right butt kicking! I know EXACTLY how you feel, skysue - last Monday, I had one person schedule an interview on the following Sunday. She was going to be PERFECT - exactly what I needed - a teacher's child, with amazing hours, older girl to fit my ratio and then only got a voicemail standing me up on Friday morning and doesn't want to reschedule. Its a feeling like someone kicked you in the stomach because you get so excited and happy about it only to have the rug pulled out from under you and feel blue again. So, yes, I totally feel for you and know how you feel. It takes about a day or so to pass and you will remember its their loss, not yours.

I need one more child not only to complete the daycare but to pay for my youngest daughter's morning program for SK - I felt she was not only being aggressive with the dck but didn't meet all her academic checklists for JK and needs some extra help and stimulation of being around kids her own age. But its killing me financially to keep her in the program and I just see my line of credit increasing !! Arrrrgh! You definitely don't get rich doing daycare!! :)

However, today, I got two phone calls - one that I had to say no to - they wanted much longer hours and only two days a week (don't any of these people read my ads with my stated hours in it?....lol, but I digress!) and the second is sort of promising....but the main problem is that they have two children and I only have one spot. However, its again good hours and it sounds like a reliable family here and they still want to interview with me.

But now, I am in the tough position bc if I want these two children, it means I would have to terminate one family (been thinking about it for awhile to do so) who is late picking up (they work far away), has the latest hours (until 5:30pm while all my other dck are gone by 4:00-5:00) but has given me other perks like nice christmas and birthday gifts and are really nice people overall. Its a tough decision for me to terminate a steady but late family, but then again, who knows, this new family may back out but I think I will still interview with them.

Sorry for the long post! I hear you Sue, things will pick up....they HAVE TO!!

mamaball
10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm having the same trouble here things start sounding good then it all changes again and most of my calls are for under 2 and part time I'm feeling a little dicouraged aswell trying to be patient ..but the thing that is driving me crazy is I know there are places in town that are taking more kids then aloud and parents seem ok with that " sigh "
praying things will turn around your not alone

FS2011
10-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I have had tons of success advertising online using Facebook as well as creating a website. At first I used Facebook as a personal page, creating my name or parts of my real name and my profile picture as my daycare signage, this way people could identify my daycare as well. I liked local groups, connected with moms swap sites etc posting under that name and eventually I was getting messages constantly for daycare. I then started a "like" page. This also works because you can write all your info and post centre pics etc. A free website has also been a bonus. Now a days, people want quick reference. They want to meet you Without leaving the house. It's been a great tool. I use yola, it's easy and you can post to Facebook to update that way. Good luck!!

FS2011
10-05-2011, 11:12 PM
One more thing, I check craiglist and kijiji daily and it's literally the same daycares posting day and day. It just looks desperate, I wouldn't push it. People search through pages and pages looking, no need to be at the top.

MunchkinMinder
10-06-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm having the same problem in my Calgary day home. I had a full day home about 6-8 months ago but in the past couple months I had on family pull out because of the older child having to change schools and I had to terminate another due to non-payment...now I'm down to just 1 ft dck and a couple drop-ins...and when I do get calls or emails they will set up appointments to come by for an interview an no-show. I would totally understand if they found alternate care but at least let me know so that I'm not waiting around for them..very frustrating, and completely felt alone in this problem of finding new children until I read this thread...thanks for posting!

Spixie33
10-06-2011, 10:14 AM
It seems slower than molasses around here and I am just north of the GTA. I used to get calls even when I wrote I have no openings at present but now I have an actual opening and I get zilch response :(
I am kind of worried with the economy taking a turn and the dollar dropping that some of the existing parents might lose their job too and then I would be even further behind. I hope it doesn't come to that

lori123
10-06-2011, 11:50 AM
One more thing, I check craiglist and kijiji daily and it's literally the same daycares posting day and day. It just looks desperate, I wouldn't push it. People search through pages and pages looking, no need to be at the top.

I don't know about looking...desperate. ...but laughs, yeah, i guess i am desperate! I literally see my bank account draining and I need one more to make it work out for me. Its a scary situation thinking about it. I feel like I need to post close to the top couple of pages on kijiji/craiglist which means reposting every couple of hours or more bc everyone else is doing the same. This is the first time that I have ever had to advertise and I hate it!! I've always done word of mouth and close references of friends of friends but it seems now everyone in those groups are done with having children. Time to branch out.

Its so true - misery loves company and its nice to know I am not alone in this matter. Its been a couple of really tough months around here and I just keep either getting calls for extremely cheaply wanted daycare for part time hours which I just can't do....like I am seeing $15/day for daycare....how can I compete at 35-40$ that I ask for. Sighs. Sorry to vent so much! Today has to be better day! L xo

Skysue
10-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Lori I'm offically full! So happy! I go the 2year old I needed!

mom-in-alberta
10-11-2011, 12:58 PM
$15 a day????? WTF????
How can anyone make any money that way, other than taking in 10 kids at a time?!? Even at that, it costs close to that just to feed a kid for a day.... Grrrrr to all the providers who undercut, just to get clientele.
:mad:

lori123
10-11-2011, 01:12 PM
tell me about it - that is what i am seeing - 15 to 20$ in my area being advertised! that is just incredibly low....i don't know how they can make any money and i would hope that the parents would understand its not a place where i would want my child!

Skysue! That is amazing! Good for you! Your "no show" finally showed up???? How wonderful! That is exactly what you needed....laughs, ok, now send me your luck my way because I still need one more child....

I had one interview on Friday night and it went well but she has 2 kids and I only have one spot which means I would have to term one family who keeps coming late to pick up. I somehow doubt that will happen though. One woman emailed me and said she would call me today....and I'm waiting....patiently !! (or trying to be patient anyway!!) Keep your fingers crossed for me!
L xo

Skysue
10-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes they called on Sunday! Sending luck and prayers your way! Xo

lori123
10-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Luck and prayers may have worked - I had a call tonight for a little boy starting end of October.....intervie w this coming Sunday.... :) Hurray! Here's hoping! Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

Skysue
10-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Luck and prayers may have worked - I had a call tonight for a little boy starting end of October.....intervie w this coming Sunday.... :) Hurray! Here's hoping! Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

Will say a prayer for you Sunday morning! Good luck!

spudjt
10-13-2011, 10:26 AM
also frustated here...i had someone undercut me, I care for 2 children before and after, transportation included for $20/day each..now someone I had helped out get started up has undercut me and offerd to care for both children for $25..OMG! That is just low. I'm sooo mad!

Skysue
10-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Why do people stab eachother in the back this way? I'm so sorry to hear that, I have a friend who refers me to people & I do the same for her. I would never steal a client! If we both have interviews we both say good luck to the other and may the parent choose one of us!

Just remember winter is comming and Before & After school may not be such a huge blessing. It is supose to be a very harsh winter.

Are you looking for only B & A school care?

lori123
10-13-2011, 10:13 PM
also frustated here...i had someone undercut me, I care for 2 children before and after, transportation included for $20/day each..now someone I had helped out get started up has undercut me and offerd to care for both children for $25..OMG! That is just low. I'm sooo mad!

No doubt you are mad, you have every right to be!.... I just don't understand people's lack of courtesy, respect these days and just being down right rude!

I have a feeling that most people look down on this job and think that we are just doing this for our own fun and enjoyment. People see it as only a way to stay home, and do not, for the most part, treat providers with the respect that they deserve. This is a difficult job most days and people tend to forget what effort it takes to be a good provider!

No shows are the worst, in my opinion, the height of rudeness - you spend a good portion of your day cleaning and prepping your work area to show off and they just leave you hanging because they are either too rude or lazy to notify you that they have changed their minds or the time is no longer a good one for them.

It is extremely frustrating! LOL sorry to vent....again!! (see Halloween Boo thread to see my latest drama!!) :)

MunchkinMinder
10-14-2011, 08:54 AM
After being slow as molasses for the past month and a half I finally had a few people calling and e-mailing. I had a wonderful interview on Wednesday afternoon which will be a full time position, an alright interview yesterday (which I don't think I'm going to start this family...I just have a weird feeling about it) and I have another interview for this morning...The only down side to all this is all the interviews are for little ones and I still need a child who is 3 years + for a playmate for my current full timer... even just under 3 would be fine...ugh, send all the luck you can so that I can find an older child for my 3 year old to play with before his parents pull him due to being board with no one his age to play with...I'm freaking out a bit!!!!

MunchkinMinder
10-14-2011, 11:30 AM
YAY...the interview this morning went so well that they told me before they left that they wanted to bring their daughter here starting Monday!!!!

lori123
10-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Fantastic!!! Starting on Monday, that is just great, MM!! :) I am very happy to hear it!

Now lets keep all of our fingers (and toes) (and bones??) crossed for my interview tonight! *Prays it's a good one*

I have to say today has been an awesome day - went on a field trip to an OEYC to Milton's Community Heritage Park and the kids LOVED it - saw tons of farm animals, tractor rides, crafts, snacks, jumping in the hay bales....now, to end of this great day, I hope for a great interview and a spot starting soon too!! *crossing everything*

MunchkinMinder
10-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Good luck tonight! I just have a good feeling about interviews that happen today after how well mine went...I hope it work out for you as well as it did for me :)

**keeping everything crossed for you lori123**

lori123
10-14-2011, 08:23 PM
My interview went well - but they have 3 other providers to interview this weekend....I hope they choose me! :) Thank you for the encouragement and being here to "hear" me vent so much!! :) Have a great weekend everyone!!!

VictoriaChildCare
10-15-2011, 11:34 PM
ugh I am having a hard time filling my spaces. I've had a run of bad luck. I had to term a baby after 2 weeks because he didn't just cry, he screamed and he was doing the same at home so the behaviour would never end. That left 1 space open. 1 have another dropping down to part time because mom is giving birth on Monday and she'll be on mat leave. Then - the cherry on top... a family who lives 25 mins away (and recently got divorced and qualified for subsidy) got a spot in a licensed daycare in her older child's school.
I've had three 2 hour interviews (1 went to a dc centre, 1 got a sitter in the home, haven't heard from the other) with no takers and no prospects.
So frustrating. I have ads all over the internet, colour signs at major intersections close to my house and flyers up in high traffic areas. I'm at a loss. In 11 years I've never hit a slump like this. Thanks for letting me vent :)

lori123
10-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Hi everyone - I got a full timer today -two week deposit and papers all signed and ready to start on October 31st!! I am sooo happy!!

Victoria ~ I know EXACTLY how you feel....because I have been feeling that for the past three months on and off too with different drops out and changes in schedules ....it will happen for you too....as hard as it is to wait, it will happen....look, it happened for me and I felt at my complete wits end which is why I started this thread....you will get someone too. keep advertising, keep up the flyers and the kijiji/craiglist postings and it will come for you! Hugz, keep your chin up and know that you are good provider and you will find the right children for your care. Keep writing, it helps to vent and talk about it - and know you are not alone!

MunchkinMinder
10-17-2011, 10:42 AM
That's wonderful news lori!!!! I'm so happy for you. I have my part timer starting this after noon and just waiting to hear about when a full timer will be set to start...

MunchkinMinder
10-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Hey Lori,

Just thought I would let you know that it looks like the tides are turning a bit...thank goodness...I just had another good interview, I'll hear tomorrow, and this time it was finally for a bit of an older child almost 3). So that makes 4 interviews since Wednesday of last week with another one scheduled for Thursday evening. Out of that I have already signed one child who started today, the interview from today I will hear back tomorrow but it seemed like it went well and the interview from Wednesday last week went very well as well and I should hear back by Wednesday about when they would need to start :)

So keep posting your ad's and putting up some ad's at local grocerie stores and convenience stores on their community boards and it'll happen for you as well!!